QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm meh on Nix but I don't see Telesco paying the price it's going to take to move up.

I wonder how tied his hands are regarding that. The reports when he was hired made it sound like he was grilled on how to trade up and get their guy. Probably all smoke knowing this time of year, but I do wonder if he is going to have his hand forced into a trade up that wouldn’t normally be the type of move he would make. 

• Like 1

Just now, FloydFan said:

I wonder how tied his hands are regarding that. The reports when he was hired made it sound like he was grilled on how to trade up and get their guy. Probably all smoke knowing this time of year, but I do wonder if he is going to have his hand forced into a trade up that wouldn’t normally be the type of move he would make. 

Mark can't force him to do something if the teams at the top of the draft are set on taking the top 3 QBs. And if the Giants are really interested in going QB / like McCarthy we really might have no option to move up. As I don't see the Cardinals moving down super far or the Chargers being willing to trade with us.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Mark can't force him to do something if the teams at the top of the draft are set on taking the top 3 QBs. And if the Giants are really interested in going QB / like McCarthy we really might have no option to move up. As I don't see the Cardinals moving down super far or the Chargers being willing to trade with us.

Very true. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. I can definitely see Nix being the pick after a small trade back or even in classic Raiders reach fashion. I would hope if we get blocked out of the 4 big qbs and can’t trade back we take a corner or DT. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agree. Mark, AP, pundits and fans can all rally behind trading up and getting Daniels because they really really want him.

The reality is that all it takes is either all of the top 3 teams who need a franchise QB, taking one of the prospects available to them where they pick. Or a team in a much better position trading up with a more appealing package so said team can still grab one of the elite offensive players.

11 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Agree. Mark, AP, pundits and fans can all rally behind trading up and getting Daniels because they really really want him.

The reality is that all it takes is either all of the top 3 teams who need a franchise QB, taking one of the prospects available to them where they pick. Or a team in a much better position trading up with a more appealing package so said team can still grab one of the elite offensive players.

Which is why we should've embraced the tank at the end of last year 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I like Nix and scheme fit, he'd be solid in this offense. Like that option more so than watching AOC lumber around taking sacks or some retread rinse/repeat vet like Wilson. 

Agree. I feel we are gonna struggle to get one of the top 3/4 guys due to where we are. And while I would really love one of the top defensive players like Mitchell or Arnold at 13, the overall performance benefit from taking a non-QB at 13 when, if you manoeuvre FA and later rounds intelligently to add a few pieces to a pretty good foundation on that side of the ball - you can improve it while not needing to use a first rounder. 

The difference in overall performance would be far greater between even a slight improvement in QB play to sticking with AOC or a sticking plaster.

This is where perceived value (which is arbitrary anyway) can prevent you from making a sensible decision. 

So if it’s Nix at 13 - or even a small trade up to get ahead of Denver…. I think I’m okay with that honestly as I’ve come to terms with the likely reality and see the alternative as being the main factor in potentially holding us back next season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why we should've embraced the tank at the end of last year 

They tried right? They put AOC as the starter and their LB coach as HC. They just overachieved (beating 5 backup QBs mind you). That's why I'm bearish on this coming season. I don't see them sustaining that emotional energy and getting to pick on awful QBs. Coupled with QB questions of their own.

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I like Nix and scheme fit, he'd be solid in this offense. Like that option more so than watching AOC lumber around taking sacks or some retread rinse/repeat vet like Wilson. 

If the big 3 qbs weren’t there who would be the #1 qb?

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They tried right? They put AOC as the starter and their LB coach as HC. They just overachieved (beating 5 backup QBs mind you). That's why I'm bearish on this coming season. I don't see them sustaining that emotional energy and getting to pick on awful QBs. Coupled with QB questions of their own.

Should've been sitting star players and really just went all in on the tank job. Winning those few meaningless games at the end took us out of position to draft a QB that could've changed the franchise's entire trajectory. But you weren't a real fan if you were rooting for us to lose, right. RAIDERSSSS

Agreed on being bearish going into next year, I don't think what we did last year is even slightly sustainable. There's a reason that interim coaches that take over almost always have a bad first year as the full time head coach. I'd feel better if we had a good offensive staff but on paper we have one of the worst in the league.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If the PFF stats are right he is also the QB that got the least amount of time from the O-Line.

Right now I'd want us to trade down, draft Nix somewhere around 22-26 and hopefully get an additional 2nd and strengthen the trenches.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Conveniently left out limiting the Dolphins when they were firing on all cylinders and laying a beat down on Mahomes lol

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

If the PFF stats are right he is also the QB that got the least amount of time from the O-Line.

Right now I'd want us to trade down, draft Nix somewhere around 22-26 and hopefully get an additional 2nd and strengthen the trenches.

Getting a stud at #13 and trading back into the late first for Nix to secure the 5th year option wouldn't be the worst outcome.

• Like 1