Week 17 Packers @ Vikings - The Win-win Scenario

LLcheesehead12

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Agree, Doubs is at best #4 in terms of pass-receiving and targets.  Between everybody being injured, hard to guess whether his relative snaps might supercede his relative targets by a fair bit, for blocking-role purposes?  But yeah, whether a draftee, Heath, or Melton, Doubs getting pushed to WR5 or even less is possible.  

I bounce back and forth as to whether to take another WR in the draft. I wanted another guy who could take the top off the defense. Melton starts showing up and he was faster than Watson at the combine. I'm rolling with the six we have. We still have no idea if Dubois can play either. Given our track record of finding WRs, it would not surprise me. 

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Yah man that's crazy.  Who would have thought after last year.  Thought he'd be #2.  Reed is such a stud.  Wicks and Doubs can share #3.  Melton has earned a spot on the roster.  Like I said in the draft section we do not need anymore WR's. Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath and Melton.  Still have Dubose lurking on the PS.  Toure will need to get stronger in the offseason.  Expect he'll be put on the PS this week with Melton being elevated to the 53.  

Melton sure did a nice job filing in for Wicks.  Dude saved our season.  

I swear my post above was not plagiarism. My only exception to your post is Toure. He's likely getting cut because we have to either elevate Melton to the 53 or release him. I think we both know that is an easy decision. We could release somebody else, but why? The WR room is stacked. 

Think Gute deserves a hell of a lot of credit for rebuilding the skill positions.  He damn near hit on every pick.  Think about it.  Musgrave(2) and Kraft(3).  Picked up Sims on waivers who would be fine as a #3.  WR's in the last 2 years.  Watson(2), Doubs(4), Reed(2), Wicks(5).  Picks up Melton on waivers and Heath as an UDFA.  Still haven't seen DuBose(7) who a lot of guys here were pretty high on during the draft.  Got to give him an A+.

Throw in Love who doesn't play favorites and just hits the open guy.  It's a beautiful thing. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Throw in Love who doesn't play favorites and just hits the open guy.  It's a beautiful thing. 

Rodgers would probably be in the conversation for a 4th consecutive MVP in GB if he was willing to do this one thing.

• Like 3

Not sure Melton actually did anything especially great.  And if anything, he missed the only difficult pass that he had.  He was just ridiculously wide open all the time.  And it seemed none of his throws were hard-to-handle fastballs, like Favre and Rodgers typically fired.  A lot of the Melton catches seemed to be kind of soft, high-arch bloopers, but somehow there were no Vikings anywhere around. 

I'd kinda love to see a film analysis of what the Vikings were trying to do, and why Melton was so completely uncovered so often.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does Melton take any snaps on ST?  He'd be a perfect WR5/WR6 type if he also brings value on ST.  He's obviously a fit for the offense when there's a need.

I've no clue about his route running skills...other than he always seems to be wide open :) ... but heading into next season he needs to work on catching the ball with his hands. If you watch him, he's almost exclusively a body catcher.

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rodgers would probably be in the conversation for a 4th consecutive MVP in GB if he was willing to do this one thing.

Truly one of the greats of all time who simply could not get out of his own way, personality-wise. That it took drafting Love to get him to go back and look at the tape to see mechanical stuff that he let lapse is something I can’t believe he admitted. 

He was let down by bad defenses and a couple bad draft classes, but he let this franchise down too and that doesn’t get talked about enough. For a guy who is labeled as “cerebral”, he should have been smart enough to see when he needed to buy in more. 

6 minutes ago, craig said:

Not sure Melton actually did anything especially great.  And if anything, he missed the only difficult pass that he had.  He was just ridiculously wide open all the time.  And it seemed none of his throws were hard-to-handle fastballs, like Favre and Rodgers typically fired.  A lot of the Melton catches seemed to be kind of soft, high-arch bloopers, but somehow there were no Vikings anywhere around. 

I'd kinda love to see a film analysis of what the Vikings were trying to do, and why Melton was so completely uncovered so often.  

He runs a 4.34 forty and seem to be able to catch what is thrown his way. If he knows the offense and where he's supposed to be, that is "great," enough for a #6 WR. 

You put that much speed on the field, teams tend to back off, so you don't blow by them.