Week 17 Packers @ Vikings - The Win-win Scenario

LLcheesehead12

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rodgers would probably be in the conversation for a 4th consecutive MVP in GB if he was willing to do this one thing.

And probably another Super Bowl or 2.

Great to see team football again.  Last night was a clinic by Love.  Knew when to make big plays, knew when to play point guard

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He runs a 4.34 forty and seem to be able to catch what is thrown his way. If he knows the offense and where he's supposed to be, that is "great," enough for a #6 WR. 

You put that much speed on the field, teams tend to back off, so you don't blow by them. 

Over a long period of time, one thing that seems an (almost) constant is that the really fast receivers don't have the best hands. I'm guessing the faster you run, the tougher it is to catch cleanly.

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Over a long period of time, one thing that seems an (almost) constant is that the really fast receivers don't have the best hands. I'm guessing the faster you run, the tougher it is to catch cleanly.

Tyreke Hill seems to be breaking that theory to pieces. Although he dropped a sure TD yesterday. 

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I bounce back and forth as to whether to take another WR in the draft. I wanted another guy who could take the top off the defense. Melton starts showing up and he was faster than Watson at the combine. I'm rolling with the six we have. We still have no idea if Dubois can play either. Given our track record of finding WRs, it would not surprise me. 

Theres no room for a WR. Especially a rookie WR. We have 4 that have shown they can play. 5 if you wanna say Melton. That’s not counting 2 TEs who have flashed and have huge upside . 

• Like 1

Melton looked stockier than I expected.  With his speed, I wonder if he couldn't have some special-teams function?  Gunners aren't always very tall.  

MLF famously talked about variety in the WR room, "not having all point guards".  But it seemed for a while that they maybe lacked some variety, and prioritized mostly power-forwards.  Whether real or not, a perception was that "Packers like big WR's", and "Packers require blocking from their WR".  

I've enjoyed having Reed, and now also Melton, playing.  Neither are "big WR" power forwards, or power run-blockers.  But I think speed and quickness have been fun for pass-receiving;  the physics of weight-shift just make sharp COD easier for shorter guys.  Hoping that seeing how useful "point guards" can be will be a long-term encouragement for Gute/MLF to not get too obsessive for big WR in future.  

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Theres no room for a WR. Especially a rookie WR. We have 4 that have shown they can play. 5 if you wanna say Melton. That’s not counting 2 TEs who have flashed and have huge upside . 

I think Heath is better than Melton. I'm counting six which is a full house. No need to look here come draft day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I think Heath is better than Melton. I'm counting six which is a full house. No need to look here come draft day. 

Packers don't really have a no.1 receiver.............but they have like 4 who are 2's or 3's (Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs).  They also have two (Melton and Heath) who could be a solid no.4 on most teams.

So in the 2024 draft, you either go early on WR (going for the no.1 type receiver) or you ignore the position, barring possibly a late, value pick, taken as a developmental guy and for ST.

It's a very good year for WRs, so I'm not totally discounting an early pick there, but I'm not at all concerned if they go elsewhere in the first 5 rounds.

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I forgot about Heath . Ya, I just don’t see any need. 

Thinking about our needs, I think I’d rather leverage more picks for higher quality players. I like where we stand in most positions of value . 

11 hours ago, MacReady said:

I don’t even care.

It’s so boring watching a team knowing you’re paying your overpaid QB too much to compensate for the rest of the team.

I don’t want to sit through another ten years of elite QB play only to come up short year after year after year.

I’d rather suck for 5 years than be just not good enough for 10.

I can’t do too many more 2014s in my life.

« Overpaid qb »

« Ten years of elite qb play »

which one is it?

also, did you even check how many times the superbowl winner had a qb with a rookie contract in the past 1-2 decades before bringing us your « blueprint » for a winning team?

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yes.  Watson-Reed-Wicks-Doubs-Heath-Melton = 6, + DuBois.

No "need" to look WR.  But I'd be totally OK with getting another WR if the BPA value is there. 

1. We've got a lot of picks, if there is a good player, take him.
  2. We're good with optimizing WR, so no objection with getting and staying strong there.
  3. Watson-Reed-Wicks seem routinely injury-prone.  How many of the games this season have we had an excess of non-injured WR available?  Like, never?  Adding another would be fine.
  4. If you've got talent, you can keep 7 if health justifies.  
  5. Watson and Doubs will be FA's soon enough, in only 2 years.  So, if BPA calls for it, a draftee could redshirt next year, play some in 25, and then in 26 be fully ready if Doubs/Watson are gone.  Jordy didn't clear 54 targets till his 3rd season.    
  6. Heath has been a nice story and a good player, and thus far has stayed out of trouble.  But will he have the personal stability to stay out of trouble long-term?  Hopefully yes, but who knows?  
  7. Obviously WR is not a draft priority or need or urgency.  Just thinking that if/when there are good BPA opportunities, getting a good player never seems to be a bad idea! 

45 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They are all good. Goodbye toure. 

Sharing Reed and meltons snaps will keep those guys explosive.

Would love to see melton get in on the KR game. Goodbye key

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Yes.  Watson-Reed-Wicks-Doubs-Heath-Melton = 6, + DuBois.

No "need" to look WR.  But I'd be totally OK with getting another WR if the BPA value is there. 

1. We've got a lot of picks, if there is a good player, take him.
  2. We're good with optimizing WR, so no objection with getting and staying strong there.
  3. Watson-Reed-Wicks seem routinely injury-prone.  How many of the games this season have we had an excess of non-injured WR available?  Like, never?  Adding another would be fine.
  4. If you've got talent, you can keep 7 if health justifies.  
  5. Watson and Doubs will be FA's soon enough, in only 2 years.  So, if BPA calls for it, a draftee could redshirt next year, play some in 25, and then in 26 be fully ready if Doubs/Watson are gone.  Jordy didn't clear 54 targets till his 3rd season.    
  6. Heath has been a nice story and a good player, and thus far has stayed out of trouble.  But will he have the personal stability to stay out of trouble long-term?  Hopefully yes, but who knows?  
  7. Obviously WR is not a draft priority or need or urgency.  Just thinking that if/when there are good BPA opportunities, getting a good player never seems to be a bad idea! 

I agree with this.  Especially points 1, 5 and 7.  And let's be real, we go 4 deep, with capable role players behind them.  Perhaps they can develop more, but until they do, that is what they are.  All that said, I don't think that I look for a WR this draft.  We would be getting to the point of diminishing returns by either decreasing the playing time of a good WR we already have, or sitting a draft pick for a season or two because of a very crowded room.  I think you use your picks this year to take multiple swings at bolstering the depth of DBs, LBs, RBs, and OL.  Save some picks at WR until 25 or 26 when plans for pending FA WRs are more clear.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Doubs role has already been greatly reduced.  When GB actually has a healthy WR room, Watson and Reed are the clear top guys, while Doubs/Wicks share the WR3 snaps.  If GB does look to grab another WR on day 2 (I don't think they will) Doubs could be pushed to WR5 sooner rather than later.

Which is both too bad (I like Doubs, especially how he attacks the ball with his hands, in a way few WRs appear to do) and good (if I like Doubs that much, being outpaced by Wicks and Reed mean they're better).