Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I hope no Vikings fan complains about Kirk ever again. 

I think that Mike Zimmer wasted Cousins' best years. That's a shame. 

Meh, Kirk is maybe a upper middle type QB.  Obviously you can do a lot worse, but you shouldn't feel bad if you want better. 

And to Kirk's credit, I think he's better now than he was at the beginning of his Vikings career. I'm not going to blame Zimmer for wasting Kirk's best years, because Kirk's best year weren't when Zimmer was here(and I'm not blaming that on Zimmer either, there's a reason Washington didn't necessarily want to throw a bunch of money at him).

Edited by Worm Guts

I can understand the thought, but I don't agree.  There's no way they could have fired Zimmer after making the divisional round of the playoffs.  Competent organizations don't do that.

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can understand the thought, but I don't agree.  There's no way they could have fired Zimmer after making the divisional round of the playoffs.  Competent organizations don't do that.

There were already reports before the wild card game that had they lost to the Saints, he’d have been fired. If you’re at the point where one game is what you’re basing the decision on, then he should have been let go. 

Not to mention, the issues in the locker room were well underway. It wasn’t a great atmosphere around the team. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would Stefanski be the head coach? We’d probably be better off.

Most likely he would have been the choice. But I don’t think they’d be better off. 

If Stefanski had been made head coach, Spielman would likely still be the GM. And if that were the case, we’d still likely be trotting out Eric Kendricks and Adam Thielen on the field, as I don’t think Spielman would have made the tough decisions. He’d have just continued to kick the can down the road, and we’d be another version of the Saints. 

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Most likely he would have been the choice. But I don’t think they’d be better off. 

If Stefanski had been made head coach, Spielman would likely still be the GM. And if that were the case, we’d still likely be trotting out Eric Kendricks and Adam Thielen on the field, as I don’t think Spielman would have made the tough decisions. He’d have just continued to kick the can down the road, and we’d be another version of the Saints. 

I mean we probably could have used Thielen this year. It’s not like he’s a bad player. As for Kendricks, who knows. Seems they got a younger version of him in Hicks. Maybe Spielman would have just retired by now. Not like Kwesi is blowing these drafts away. What has he landed so far in the draft? A stud WR and TE, a serviceable Guard and an undrafted LB. I know it’s off topic, curious to where the front offices commitment is to Kirk. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There were already reports before the wild card game that had they lost to the Saints, he’d have been fired. If you’re at the point where one game is what you’re basing the decision on, then he should have been let go. 

Not to mention, the issues in the locker room were well underway. It wasn’t a great atmosphere around the team. 

I recall the reports, but even so, I would have found that difficult to fire a head coach who had made the playoffs.  I think it worked out the way it should have.  If, theoretically, he had been fired, I think that Stefanski probably would not have gotten the job.  It's more likely they would have hired someone like Jim Harbaugh or Jim Caldwell...someone who was on the offensive side of the ball and had head-coaching experience.   

Edited by swede700

In an end-of-season press conference with reporters, Kirk Cousins talked about his decidedly undecided future. He was asked to identify “the most important thing” going forward:

Cousins: “What a great question. I think it ultimately is about winning football games. And so that will be the most important thing, winning football games. With that, no one thing is in a vacuum. Usually, you win football games because there are some other factors that are really important to me that are going to have to be there to be able to win football games. So it ultimately all ties together. The factors work together. But I certainly believe we can do that here.”

“God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage of my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about. A coach did tell me though years ago, 'It’s not about the dollars, but it is about what the dollars represent.'”

Cousins said he plans to “relinquish” to the circumstances, as he did after he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. And he doesn’t plan to chase other teams.

Cousins: “I’m not gonna try to sell myself, if you will. I kind of like to let people make their own decisions, because I do think that the league needs quarterbacks. And if you’re trying to talk yourself out of a quarterback, I can’t help you much.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-plans-to-relinquish-to-his-upcoming-free-agency

Cousins has one playoff win, is coming off an Achilles tear and will be 36 come September. Yeah, that might be a hard sell. He just fits so well here though, I hope they can figure out a deal that allows the Vikes to make a two year run while keeping an eye on the future. I have no idea what that looks like or what the precedent is for it, just needs to happen. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

In an end-of-season press conference with reporters, Kirk Cousins talked about his decidedly undecided future. He was asked to identify “the most important thing” going forward:

Cousins: “What a great question. I think it ultimately is about winning football games. And so that will be the most important thing, winning football games. With that, no one thing is in a vacuum. Usually, you win football games because there are some other factors that are really important to me that are going to have to be there to be able to win football games. So it ultimately all ties together. The factors work together. But I certainly believe we can do that here.”

“God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage of my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about. A coach did tell me though years ago, 'It’s not about the dollars, but it is about what the dollars represent.'”

Cousins said he plans to “relinquish” to the circumstances, as he did after he suffered a torn Achilles tendon. And he doesn’t plan to chase other teams.

Cousins: “I’m not gonna try to sell myself, if you will. I kind of like to let people make their own decisions, because I do think that the league needs quarterbacks. And if you’re trying to talk yourself out of a quarterback, I can’t help you much.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kirk-cousins-plans-to-relinquish-to-his-upcoming-free-agency

This sounds like maturity to me!