Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

So, Kirk is no different than 99% of the other players? 

I’d love to see a list of players who are signing contracts where money isn’t the driving factor. 

Right.  Like I said, I don't see anything wrong with that.  That doesn't mean I need to call someone else's take a terrible take.  It's rooted in reality. It's the same reality for the vast majority of players. Most NFL players are doing it with their primary focus making money. I don't know why there is such a pushback against that.  Most of anyone is doing their job with a primary focus of making money. 

I can tell you that I wouldn't have done my job if they weren't paying me. Very few of us have jobs that we truly love. Often times, that is because we are chasing the income rather than chasing our passion. IMO, our culture is too focused on maximizing earnings.

Good grief.  Four people liked a post that said "terrible take" with no explanation of why it was so terrible. Even if it was, I wish we could do better.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Even Mahomes hasn’t taken a below market rate deal. He reset the market with his contract. 

Mahomes contract is the most team friendly deal in the NFL.

Incredibly long deal (team friendly) with almost no guaranteed money (team friendly)

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, viking said:

Mahomes contract is the most team friendly deal in the NFL.

Incredibly long deal (team friendly) with almost no guaranteed money (team friendly)

I never said anything about it not being team friendly. I said it wasn’t below market value. And it wasn’t. When Mahomes signed his contract, his $45M AAV was the highest in the league. By a lot. Russell Wilson, who was the last QB to set the top of the market, signed for $35M AAV.

Yes, the structure was team friendly in the sense that it has allowed KC to move money around, but Mahomes isn’t taking less. KC has been moving money around on that contract for a few years now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Four people liked a post that said "terrible take" with no explanation of why it was so terrible. Even if it was, I wish we could do better.

i was one of those four and i listed why i thought it was too severe of a take.

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He only did one time and that was at the end of his career.  Otherwise, he always at the market rate. 

Yeah. Brees is a big reason that New Orleans is in the cap situation that they are in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Yeah. Brees is a big reason that New Orleans is in the cap situation that they are in. 

Yeah...I think there was one year towards the end where his cap number was something like $40M and that was when QBs were still only making $25M or so. 

• Like 1

Just now, swede700 said:

Yeah...I think there was one year towards the end where his cap number was something like $40M and that was when QBs were still only making $25M or so. 

Brees had more of a reputation for maxing out his contract value than Cousins does.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Brees had more of a reputation for maxing out his contract value than Cousins does.

Agreed. The main difference in perception though is that Brees was a HoF level player and was perceived to be more deserving. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Then Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady must be the only QBs in the NFL who care about winning. Name another QB that took less than market rate. 

I hope McCarthy wins a Super Bowl on his rookie deal. Otherwise, he’ll face the same BS “he should take less” stuff that no one else would take themselves. 

Cousins is in a situation where it would make sense probably more than most. He’s made a ton of money already in his career, but has never won anything significant. 
And if you’re not narrowing it down to quarterbacks, there are lots of athletes that have taken less money to win.

11 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Good grief.  Four people liked a post that said "terrible take" with no explanation of why it was so terrible. Even if it was, I wish we could do better.

There was no explanation or evidence cited in the OP, either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

There was no explanation or evidence cited in the OP, either.

There was no explanation needed because that topic is a tired opinion that's been debated and redebated multiple times since 2018.  In fact, Kirk Cousins has disrespectfully been "chained" with that opinion practically his entire career, no matter how much of a fallacy it is.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Douglas Clawson, CBS Sports:

"Cousins was top 10 in the NFL in EPA per play, touchdown passes and passing yards before tearing his Achilles in Week 8 last year. I think it's safe to say he's not going to elevate from a top-10 passer to an MVP contender going from the Vikings to the Falcons."

"Atlanta should certainly take a leap going from Desmond Ridder to Cousins, but Cousins is taking a step down in offensive infrastructure, albeit a small one. I like Drake London and Bijan Robinson, but there's only one Justin Jefferson."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/why-kirk-cousins-underwhelming-atlanta-falcons-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2dmFkgLzkwIFoQpgXjhxjRo5VOd0d8fzN5IyYkANgquQaz9zFVLY4kzxc_aem_5a7PwqrFR3NbGlKZX9_bbA

• Like 1