2023 GDT Week #17 Steelers 8-7 Visit Seahawks 8-7

Steeler Hitman

5 hours ago, rlon said:

Biggest issues against Seattle is the crowd noise and the fact that their outside coverages will be solid, which may unfortunately make their pass rush seem better than it is. To win, the Steelers need to run the ball and use the middle of the field. Mason will not stand up well to significant pressure. Warren, Friermuth, even Washington could be set up for big games, and we will likely need that to win.

Jaylen Warren is the key to win. They don't have anyone that can handle his change of direction on defense and will probably look to Jamal Adams to be the one to key up on Warren. They will have to stop him on defense, and they know he's the key to beat them, so to beat them, you'll have to get him going. Getting Mason going with some easy short passes will stifle the rush and open up the predictability of the run. Mix in some screens and draws to loosen up the batter and then you can go to playaction in the 2nd quarter and work the middle of the field once their nose is all bloody. Start to hammer them with Najee Harris in the 3rd and take their souls in the 4th.

Porter has drawn a good matchup with DK Metcalf because he's going to run straight and has the size to jam and enough long speed to stay close. He should be able to shut him down man to man. The more shifty receivers will present the problem. Jaxon Smith is more deadly in my opinion. Peterson might have enough for the job. If he can hold him to 50 yards that would be a good day. And you don't have anyone to cover Lockett either, so I'd expect them to look here to bust you up. This could be some Minkah territory. Would be really nice on a slot 1 v 1 shutdown, but we can't always get what we want. If you can shut down the run with Kenny Walker, which shouldn't be that hard, then you will be able to get Seattle in 3rd & long, and quite frankly, that's not Geno Smith's game, as they'll try to get Geno going with some easy throws to loosen you up, as you shall do to them.

I'd like to see a high scoring game 38-31 Steelers ;)

Edited by zflairway
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

how did colbert and tomlin not know this? 2 years wasted somewhat or partially depending how you look at all this

Hindsight is always perfect vision. Finding players are like finding a spouse: It is a matter of what and who you like and who you feel fits better. Many where not Mitch fans. Mitch was a top three draft choice and had experience. Sometimes players need a change of venue. I preferred Carson Wentz because of his character and his experience. I felt he would have been an excellent bridge QB. If you recall, I also wanted Kenny to sit his entire rookie season.  I felt that a year of grooming would have done him well. These guys knew what they had and gave it their all to make it happen. Mitch just didn't perform. As much as people forget, many where against him based on his past performances. Mason has not exactly lit it up consistently either. People were clamoring for Duck Hodges over Mason. 

5 hours ago, rlon said:

I think some Steeler fans need to take an antipsychotic and go back and watch that Lions game Mason played…here’s hoping I am as wrong this week as I was last ;)

Yep.  He looked like a back-up against a winless or one win team if I recall. Mason looked very much like Mitch ecept he protected the ball. All that season the receivers said some of the same things that Pickens is saying this year.  Mason and Duck couldn't consistently get these WR's the ball.  Mason missed Dionte on a key throw that could have won the game. Against the Bills that same year, he missed Washington in the end zone. My point is not to bash Mason, but remind fans that this type of play and problem has been prevelant for several years. 

Mason has improved and while I don't expect him to have 300 + yards, 4 TD's, and ) INTs with a 125+ QBR, I expect him to be effective and effecient. This is a winnable game, if they play a complete football game and hold onto the football while forcing a turnover or two from Seattle. That said, they haven't won in Seattle since the 90's. It will be completely shocking if they win this game. 

4 hours ago, rlon said:

Biggest issues against Seattle is the crowd noise and the fact that their outside coverages will be solid, which may unfortunately make their pass rush seem better than it is. To win, the Steelers need to run the ball and use the middle of the field.

I agree. Early down success and staying ahead of the sticks: second and five or less, and then third and two or less. They also would be able to set up some big plays.  I think everyone will try to blanket Pickens and that should open the door for Dionte and Pat. The key is to run the ball early, often, and stay on script. 

Mason will not stand up well to significant pressure. Warren, Friermuth, even Washington could be set up for big games, and we will likely need that to win.

OL will need to open holes and protect Mason passing.  Leonard Williams is a concern on the DL.  Pete Carrol is a savvy coach who will put in a game plan to try to disrupt the Steelers strengths on offense. Warren and Najee feed on one another and the Steelers TE's should be able to create some mismatches.  Don't forget about Connor as well. He has not been used much this season, but can make some plays. 

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I did not want them to draft a QB but to build a team and then go get their guy.  I had zero confidence in any of the QBs.  if they had to draft a QB, I would have taken a shot at Willis because he had the arm and possible upside but not in the 1st round.

I think many agreed that the team should have built up some areas. I think we varied on how we would do this. Draft positionhad a lot to do with this as well.  If the Steelers where picking higher they probably take Jalen Hurts one year,  Landon Dickerson another, and probably a RT.   

I did not think Mason would take them to more than 6 wins but I did not care.  Build a team then get your guy is the best formula for a SB chance.

7 hours ago, rlon said:

Biggest issues against Seattle is the crowd noise and the fact that their outside coverages will be solid, which may unfortunately make their pass rush seem better than it is. To win, the Steelers need to run the ball and use the middle of the field. Mason will not stand up well to significant pressure. Warren, Friermuth, even Washington could be set up for big games, and we will likely need that to win.

I agree. Early down success and staying ahead of the sticks: second and five or less, and then third and two or less. They also would be able to set up some big plays.  I think everyone will try to blanket Pickens and that should open the door for Dionte and Pat. The key is to run the ball early, often, and stay on script. 

@Steeler HitmanAre you insinuating that running the ball early, often, and staying on script will inevitably lead to second and five or less, and then third and two or less? 

Hindsight is 20-20, I suppose. But if you run the ball early and often, you will surely pigeon hole yourself into 2nd & 9 and 3rd & 9 situations. Maybe even draw a flag or two for false start or delay of game with the crowd getting into the game.

If everyone in the building knows we're going to run the ball to get into more manageable situations we should probably try a WR screen or something, at the very least, to create passing plays that are virtual running plays to have the same effect without being so predictable. Then mix it with some curls to the tight end and outs to the receiver to create a dynamic high school offense. That at least moves the ball -_-

6 hours ago, zflairway said:

Jaylen Warren is the key to win. They don't have anyone that can handle his change of direction on defense and will probably look to Jamal Adams to be the one to key up on Warren. They will have to stop him on defense, and they know he's the key to beat them, so to beat them, you'll have to get him going. Getting Mason going with some easy short passes will stifle the rush and open up the predictability of the run. Mix in some screens and draws to loosen up the batter and then you can go to playaction in the 2nd quarter and work the middle of the field once their nose is all bloody. Start to hammer them with Najee Harris in the 3rd and take their souls in the 4th.

Porter has drawn a good matchup with DK Metcalf because he's going to run straight and has the size to jam and enough long speed to stay close. He should be able to shut him down man to man. The more shifty receivers will present the problem. Jaxon Smith is more deadly in my opinion. Peterson might have enough for the job. If he can hold him to 50 yards that would be a good day. And you don't have anyone to cover Lockett either, so I'd expect them to look here to bust you up. This could be some Minkah territory. Would be really nice on a slot 1 v 1 shutdown, but we can't always get what we want. If you can shut down the run with Kenny Walker, which shouldn't be that hard, then you will be able to get Seattle in 3rd & long, and quite frankly, that's not Geno Smith's game, as they'll try to get Geno going with some easy throws to loosen you up, as you shall do to them.

I'd like to see a high scoring game 38-31 Steelers ;)

Jamal Adams is OUT. Challenging their LBs movement with Brooks also OUT will be a big part of the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Jamal Adams is OUT. Challenging their LBs movement with Brooks also OUT will be a big part of the game. 

and with bush in the game, this is a gimme or better be.  This will be hilarious, our former RD1 pick colbert traded up for lets us win this game on the ground. Thats if tomlin plays Warren.  Never know with tomlin 

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

and with bush in the game, this is a gimme or better be.  This will be hilarious, our former RD1 pick colbert traded up for lets us win this game on the ground. Thats if tomlin plays Warren.  Never know with tomlin 

Im not counting any chickens ..no room from gloating with this team. Just Get the job done.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Are you saying that they game plan to an opponent's weakness vs doing what we do?  You must be a new Steeler fan.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zflairway said:

@Steeler HitmanAre you insinuating that running the ball early, often, and staying on script will inevitably lead to second and five or less, and then third and two or less? 

Yes I am "insinuating" that "in this game against the Seahawks" run early and often. That doesn't mean you have to be predictable and do it 100% of the time. 

Hindsight is 20-20, I suppose. But if you run the ball early and often, you will surely pigeon hole yourself into 2nd & 9 and 3rd & 9 situations.

I agree if you are predictable or you pigeon 🐦 hole yourself. This Steelers team is much better on offense when they can consistently run the ball 🏈🏈 and stay ahead of the yard sticks. You can mix high % passes in and take some shots. However, when that doesn't work the Steelers typically struggle. Help your third (backup actually) string QB be successful.

Maybe even draw a flag or two for false start or delay of game with the crowd getting into the game.

I agree 💯 %with you here

If everyone in the building knows we're going to run the ball to get into more manageable situations we should probably try a WR screen or something, at the very least, to create passing plays that are virtual running plays to have the same effect without being so predictable.

I think we are saying the same thing. I am really saying that this is a game the Steelers need to commit to the run. Obviously, if Seattle adjusts, the Steelers need to counter. I don't think they are going to let Mason and Pickens beat them. Committing to run doesn't mean that they have to be predictable. 

Then mix it with some curls to the tight end and outs to the receiver to create a dynamic high school offense. That at least moves the ball -_-

Again, I think we are saying the same thing. I am not suggesting just pounding the ball into 8-9 man fronts. There is no Jamaal Adams and Devin Bush is probably starting at the other spot. I am saying to help the offense to open up by wearing the Seahawks down. Teams have been doing this the past several games. As much as we want to light up the friendly skies, the Steelers are playing in a hostile environment. 

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Are you saying that they game plan to an opponent's weakness vs doing what we do?  You must be a new Steeler fan.

lets see if they attack artie when he is out there, then bush but he will be around run plays mostly. If they exploit the seams, then bush could be there too. It might be a great day for the former steelers :D

Edited by 3rivers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AFF said:

I’m hoping the lose…I know it sounds bad but it’s the truth.

I am such a competitor and fan that it is hard to root against the team. Realistically, this may be best, but I don't know. I would also like to see this team overcome some adversity and mature into the next level. I think that they could actually win a play-off game and establish something to build on depending on the opponent. I remember back in the 80's (84 or 85) when the Steelers went to Denver and upset them in the first round before losing in the AFC CG I think to Dan Marino, Da Mark's Brothers and Miami. 

3 hours ago, AFF said:

I have a feeling Rudolph comes back down to earth a bit today.

I think Mason is comfortable and as a back-up, probably has a three or four game limit, before defenses catch up to him.  I think he is smart enough to play within himself and at the same time "push it without rushing it."  With all that Mason has dealt with and overcome, it is hard not to root for him for a few games of success. If he leads this team to the play-off's or wins out, that is huge for him. I think he can have a solid game without having to throw for 300 yards, 4 TD's, and a 125+ QBR. I think he needs the same formula as Kenny Pickett: Be smart with the football, make accurate throws, don't turn the ball over, and lean on the rushing attack.  The OL needs to be consistent. I think that is also a big reason for Mason's success and his continued success. 

3 hours ago, AFF said:

I’m hoping the lose…I know it sounds bad but it’s the truth.

I have a feeling Rudolph comes back down to earth a bit today.

lose - we know this outloook, it's real. One benefit people think of is the draft next year.  I don't know what to make of this, because what good is a few spots earlier in the draft if you are playing players out of position or in a rotation anyways.   Mason could fall back to earth or maybe be the next nick foles   as someone elsewhere said :ph34r:

No matter what we get from Mason, the run defence is a problem and the OL has regressed. So the only hope is  shootouts and splash plays. Thats where this team is currently at and the direction it has if you call it that. 

lose today then miss out next week as the ravens rest starters .  tomlin ->Mr.529

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

lets see if they attack artie when he is out there, then bush but he will be around run plays mostly. If they exploit the seams, then bush could be there too. It might be a great day for the former steelers :D

We never know which Steelers team will show up. 🤷‍♂️

I am not sure how much Artie plays if Witherspoon is healthy enough to go.  If he doesn't start, he may move to the slot, where that could be a tough matchup for Artie with Dionte moving into the slot more as of late.  I think Allen Robinson could do some things there as well. The Steelers have been moving them around. I expect Muth and the other TE's to see the ball more in the passing game.  As far as Bush, he is actually better in coverage than the run. I continue to say pound them and don't be too quick to abandon the run.  It would be nice to see the Steelers jump out in front early again.