Week #17 General🏈 Discussion

Trentwannabe

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He wins year in and year out, they're still developing players well, and the players still seem to be bought in to the culture. That's not easy to do. If Pittsburgh lands another franchise QB, they'll start contending again. If they don't, no coach is going to do significantly more than Tomlin currently is. I remember what the dark days of being a Rams fan were like. If you find a good/great coach, hold on to them.

Winning 9 games and getting crushed in the Wild Card isn't "winning year in and year out." 

Give McVay this offense, Pickett would look like a Pro Bowler, Pickens would have a record breaking season

1 hour ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

And sticking with a mediocre coach will keep you mediocre and nothing more.

Sometimes you just gotta bottom out.

This is the problem with your rationale. Jeff Fisher was a mediocre coach, a guy who had you sitting just south of .500 almost every year. Mike Tomlin, a guy who has never had a losing season, and has had winning seasons in 9 of the past 10 years is by definition not a mediocre coach.

Just now, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Winning 9 games and getting crushed in the Wild Card isn't "winning year in and year out." 

Give McVay this offense, Pickett would look like a Pro Bowler, Pickens would have a record breaking season

Yes, it is. That's a winning season. L-O-L.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

This is the problem with your rationale. Jeff Fisher was a mediocre coach, a guy who had you sitting just south of .500 almost every year. Mike Tomlin, a guy who has never had a losing season, and has had winning seasons in 9 of the past 10 years is by definition not a mediocre coach.

"never had a losing season"

Whoopdie frickin' doo. He has three playoff wins in the last 13 years. In any other organization he would have been fired years ago.

This guy gets a pass for doing the bare minimum. 

You standards are lower than dirt.

I'm simply not the sort of shortsighted fool who wants to fire a HC who is winning to try their hand at the NFL's version of the lottery (the coaching carousel). That's even stupider when you are already having to try your hand at the NFL's other version of the lottery (the QB carousel).

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm simply not the sort of shortsighted fool who wants to fire a HC who is winning to try their hand at the NFL's version of the lottery (the coaching carousel). That's even stupider when you are already having to try your hand at the NFL's other version of the lottery (the QB carousel).

Noll, Parcells, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson and others have losing seasons but also have more championships. Last time I checked, championships are the end goal, not winning 9 games and getting thrashed in the first round.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I sure wish Dallas had parted ways with Jason Garrett sooner than what they did....have to imagine Tennessee feels the same way about Jeff Fisher.

5 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Noll, Parcells, Walsh, Jimmy Johnson and others have losing seasons but also have more championships. Last time I checked, championships are the end goal, not winning 9 games and getting thrashed in the first round.

Cool. You just named some HOF HCs. So if your recommendation is that Pittsburgh fire Mike Tomlin and hire a HOF HC to replace him, my recommendation is that Pittsburgh keep Mike Tomlin and draft the next Tom Brady.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, D82 said:

I sure wish Dallas had parted ways with Jason Garrett sooner than what they did....have to imagine Tennessee feels the same way about Jeff Fisher.

You wouldn't have if they had whiffed on the next hire. And Jason Garrett was squandering franchise QBs. Mike Tomlin is "squandering" Kenny Pickett.

Cool. You just named some HOF HCs. So if your recommendation is that Pittsburgh fire Mike Tomlin and hire a HOF HC to replace him, my recommendation is that Pittsburgh keep Mike Tomlin and draft the next Tom Brady.

People like you are satisfied with winning 9 games and getting thrashed in the first round. Others have higher standards.

People like you are satisfied with winning 9 games and getting thrashed in the first round. Others have higher standards.

Bet. You must be furious at Sean McVay then. Me? I'm happy with the job he's doing.

Bet. You must be furious at Sean McVay then. Me? I'm happy with the job he's doing.

The difference is McVay had more playoff wins in 2021 alone than Tomlin has in the last thirteen years.

But if McVay has 3 or 4 consecutive 9-10 win seasons that all end with first round thrashings, then yes I will start calling for his dismissal.

1 minute ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

The difference is McVay had more playoff wins in 2021 alone than Tomlin has in the last thirteen years.

But why do playoff wins matter? I thought the goal was championships, because we have high standards? 

Although I'm not sure I like our logic still, because statistically a team is only supposed to win a SB like every 1/32 years right?

So, it would seem Tomlin has like another 10 or so before he's even behind standard variance?

• Like 2

But if McVay has 3 or 4 consecutive 9-10 win seasons that all end with first round thrashings, then yes I will start calling for his dismissal.

That would make you a fool in my book. But hey, every fanbase has some.