Week #17 GeneralšŸˆ Discussion

Trentwannabe

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

But why do playoff wins matter? I thought the goal was championships, because we have high standards?Ā 

Although I'm not sure I like our logic still, because statistically a team is only supposed to win a SB like every 1/32 years right?

So, it would seem Tomlin has like another 10 or so before he's even behind standard variance?

How much longer should he be allowed to continue coasting off one ring 15 years ago against a 9-win team with players inherited from his predecessor? At what point does that novelty wear off?

Just now, Football_Bachelor08 said:

How much longer should he be allowed to continue coasting off one ring 15 years ago against a 9-win team with players inherited from his predecessor? At what point does that novelty wear off?

It's actually a fair question and I've been a Tomlin white knight for years.

The answer, imo, is - when you feel like HE'S the problem.Ā 

I'd liken it perhaps to Philip Rivers. I personally believe that in some alternate universes, he's a champion. I don't think Rivers was the problem in SD, at least to where it was theoretically impossible to win with him, just because he didn't. I think Tomlin is capable of winning (he has) and he has a high floor, but he does need help on offense and it has been stale for a while in PIT.Ā 

I think the best course would be to trade him for a high pick, if possible, which saves everyone face and allows the franchise to move on. But idk, it was easier to argue against you at 10 years than 17.

• Like 1

On Tomlin, I can't see the Steelers moving on from him unless they have someone in mind that pushes them over the hump. I don't think coaching alone gets them over the hump and Tomlin has been able to get something out of this roster. If they had a QB established or a clear coaching candidate was out there, most organizations would move on. But the Steelers? I can't see it.

9 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Ask the Boston Celtics who have been milking that ring in 2010 every day since they all retired.

Ā 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

"never had a losing season"

Whoopdie frickin' doo. He has three playoff wins in the last 13 years. In any other organization he would have been fired years ago.

This guy gets a pass for doing the bare minimum.Ā 

John Harbaugh has 2 playoff wins in the last 10 years.

Pete Carroll has 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years.

Sean Payton has 5 playoff wins in the last 13 years.

Mike Vrabel has 2 playoff wins in his 6 year career. Or 0 in the last 4 years, if you prefer.

Like, when you set the standard to something like playoff wins or superbowl appearances or something lofty enough that the vast majority of coaches in the league get 0 of every season, ultimately almost nobody is going to look employable. Like 5 current head coaches are employable at all if we're going by the standard of has won playoff games and has done so recently.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

John Harbaugh has 2 playoff wins in the last 10 years.

Pete Carroll has 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years.

Sean Payton has 5 playoff wins in the last 13 years.

Mike Vrabel has 2 playoff wins in his 6 year career. Or 0 in the last 4 years, if you prefer.

Like, when you set the standard to something like playoff wins or superbowl appearances or something lofty enough that the vast majority of coaches in the league get 0 of every season, ultimately almost nobody is going to look employable. Like 5 current head coaches are employable at all if we're going by the standard of has won playoff games and has done so recently.

Then those other guys should have lost their jobs years ago, too.

1 hour ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Don't know or care.

All I know is that his postseason track record since Super Bowl XLV has been abysmal. In any other organization, this gets a coach fired.

How many coaches have a good post season track record since then?

since 2013, Harbaugh only has 2 playoff wins to Tomlinā€™s 3. Should Harbaugh be fired?

Like for real some of yall are acting like the Steelers should just fire their coach and lose all the time for high draft picks. For what? So we can RP as the ******* lions or browns?

since 2007 only 3 teams have more Super Bowl wins than us and only 2 teams have more wins than us.Ā 

One of both of those sets of teams is the Patriots and the other team with more wins than us is the Packers who are leading by 2 wins and had Aaron Rodgers the whole time.

Since Tomlin has been the Head coach, we are at worst the 6th best team over that time period behind the Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, and Giants. And thatā€™s assuming the Ravens win the SB this year and defaulting to the Packers and Giants. You could make the case we are the third best behind only the greatest dynasty in the sport and the Chiefs.

It would be one thing if we had the opportunity to sign some amazing coach who has known success if we dropped tomlin, but we donā€™t.

Not only that, but if we fired Tomlin, he would garner more attention than Payton or Gruden did. He has a better win% than either of them did and a similar playoff record to both of them. (Gruden 5-4, Payton 9-8, Tomlin 8-9).

Ā 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

How many coaches have a good post season track record since then?

since 2013, Harbaugh only has 2 playoff wins to Tomlinā€™s 3. Should Harbaugh be fired?

Like for real some of yall are acting like the Steelers should just fire their coach and lose all the time for high draft picks. For what? So we can RP as the ******* lions or browns?

since 2007 only 3 teams have more Super Bowl wins than us and only 2 teams have more wins than us.Ā 

One of both of those sets of teams is the Patriots and the other team with more wins than us is the Packers who are leading by 2 wins and had Aaron Rodgers the whole time.

Since Tomlin has been the Head coach, we are at worst the 6th best team over that time period behind the Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, Packers, and Giants. And thatā€™s assuming the Ravens win the SB this year and defaulting to the Packers and Giants. You could make the case we are the third best behind only the greatest dynasty in the sport and the Chiefs.

It would be one thing if we had the opportunity to sign some amazing coach who has known success if we dropped tomlin, but we donā€™t.

Not only that, but if we fired Tomlin, he would garner more attention than Payton or Gruden did. He has a better win% than either of them did and a similar playoff record to both of them. (Gruden 5-4, Payton 9-8, Tomlin 8-9).

Ā 

The good old days.Ā 

2 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

And sticking with a mediocre coach will keep you mediocre and nothing more.

Sometimes you just gotta bottom out.

Seriously, go through this list and tell me which teams ā€œbottomed outā€ within a few years before their win (and that the bottoming out was directly the reason they won the SB later).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Bowl_champions