2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

27 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Harold Landry at 9. I would prefer a trade back, but I'm not sure he would drop to Buffalo. I see Green Bay as possibly being one of the teams that takes Landry.

I'm not sure he has the ability to be an all around elite DE, but I think he could be a regular 10+ sack guy for a while. 

Still a hard pass for me at 9. Just too many questions. There are cleaner prospects and I'd be happy to try and mold an edge out of a second or third round guy

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Still a hard pass for me at 9. Just too many questions. There are cleaner prospects and I'd be happy to try and mold an edge out of a second or third round guy

What are your issues with him? I look at his incredible 2016..was 2017 disappointing? Yes, but wasn't he playing through a pretty bad injury and getting consistently double and triple teamed?

I haven't watched much tape from him, but I see a guy who is aggressive, has really good bend and quick twitch. And his combine just sort of backed some of that up. He might not be powerful no Chubb, but from what i've seen he's one of the undersized (a bit) but violent like a Dumerville. Considering the importance of the position, I wouldn't hate it if we picked him. I'd still prefer the LBers, Nelson (obviously), and Barkley..but that's it. 

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

The only one that's going to be under contract after this year is Colbert and I doubt we pick up the 5th year option on Ward. Plus if Ward actually shows something then they could try James at corner (or safety depending on where Ward plays) since he has favorable measurements that we like. I would like to sign Tartt to an extension, but he could play in the box or vice versa with James. 

Ward was the only first round, granted I know we reached (or seemed like a reach) for Tartt, but he was a second round pick. Plus how many first round picks have we spend on the dline? :) 

A lot can change in a year. All three are under contract for this season. 49ers have too many other holes on the roster where they don't even have anything close to quality starters like guard, edge rusher, or corner. Why draft James to play corner when you could just draft Denzel Ward or Jackson, who are corners. 

I just don't see the team drafting another safety "tweener" that might at the end of the day be on the bench for who knows how long. 49ers have invested in the defensive line, but they haven't invested in a true pass rushing defender. 

6 hours ago, John232 said:

....And furthermore, using your hands when tackling is not even really good form. You want to be punching the sky and using your shoulder, if you're at an angle, you're likely trying to take an angle and square up. If he was a 1 tech DT where he's literally blocking for other players, I might have more concern because you'd need to be able to control a guards chest by the inside of the pads and basically hold...but he obviously doesn't do that. He's going to be trying to dip, or slide or go through blockers. 

Hands are still needed for shedding blocks, playing coverage, and limb/grab tackling... but likewise his speed/pursuit and the way he plays will be able to make up or minimize it. I think if anything he'll be a great special teams player.

Also does anyone know if there's any regulation to what type of prosthetic one can use. It'd be awesome to see him running around with a 10 foot fly swatter or maybe one of these

large-size-folding-carp-scoop-net-dip-ne

to scoop a couple of pics up over the middle. yeah??

17 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Hands are still needed for shedding blocks, playing coverage, and limb/grab tackling... but likewise his speed/pursuit and the way he plays will be able to make up or minimize it. I think if anything he'll be a great special teams player.

Also does anyone know if there's any regulation to what type of prosthetic one can use. It'd be awesome to see him running around with a 10 foot fly swatter or maybe one of these

large-size-folding-carp-scoop-net-dip-ne

to scoop a couple of pics up over the middle. yeah??

You're definitely right, it helps. But I;m inclined to believe it's not going to cause him too many issues. Pursuit angles and form are just going to be monumentally important for him because he'll have no margin for error.

And yeah, curious about the prosthetic outlook too. 

2 hours ago, John232 said:

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Harold Landry at 9. I would prefer a trade back, but I'm not sure he would drop to Buffalo. I see Green Bay as possibly being one of the teams that takes Landry.

I'm not sure he has the ability to be an all around elite DE, but I think he could be a regular 10+ sack guy for a while. 

I think 9 is a little too high because he does have some issues in his game that prevent him from being a top 10 guy.  I expect Davenport to be the second edge guy after Chubb off the board. But I think around pick 14 and beyond is defintely where teams should be looking awfully hard@him. I see alot of Kahlil Mack in him. I do like him more than most. But he could very well be another Shane Ray also.

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think 9 is a little too high because he does have some issues in his game that prevent him from being a top 10 guy.  I expect Davenport to be the second edge guy after Chubb off the board. But I think around pick 14 and beyond is defintely where teams should be looking awfully hard@him. I see alot of Kahlil Mack in him. I do like him more than most. But he could very well be another Shane Ray also.

Yeah, I'm warming up too it. Still wouldn't love it, just wouldn't hate it. Would really prefer a trade back if we're getting Landry. 

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The only thing about Ward that scares me is he's a 180 lbs CB that I think will get manhandled on the outside against legit #1 WRs in the pros. If your drafting a guy that high, he has to make his living on the outside, not the slot. Other than that, kid is a terrific athlete with excellent cover skills.

They had a nice graphic showing his size and weight are almost identical to Deion Sanders.  I don't think anyone would reject Deion based on his size. Deion also said it should be easy to add 7 to 10 pounds without affecting his speed or quickness.  Fact is there's no one close to his cover skills. So teams might want a bigger guy, but I'lll settle for the better guy.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Sweat obviously has the athletic composite, but he never put it together on the field. Very underwhelming for whatever reason. He's got one knee injury on the torn ACL, and there have been concerns over that, so the medical check will be big. I like him in round 3 based on pure athletic upside. 

Billy price will depend on the severity of the injury. Right now, they're saying it is a partially torn pec, I think? And if that's the case, and no surgery is required, he may stumble a bit (no teams will have workout numbers on him and I doubt he'd be ready for pro day, which means Daniels has absolutely passed him up at minimum), but I think he's probably go in the early - mid second? If it requires surgery, I think there's a good chance he's there at two, maybe even later. Sydney Jones was probably viewed slightly higher as a prospect last year, and went in round 2 following his injury. So I'd get a similar to slightly lower range for Price if he's got a torn pec that requires surgery. 

I"m always worried about guys with "all the physical skills" but who never seem to produce on the field. GIve me a 4.6 RB that gets 4 or 5 yards every time he touches the ball, or a a "slow" edge rusher that can still get 8 to 10 sacks a year ... better yet give me a 4.32 corner with a 39 inch vert and a the best broadjump in the combine who also happens to have fantastic cover skills and showed it all year long.

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Derwin James at #9 is going to be a strong possibility IMO. Dude is a freak athlete that could cover opposing TEs and even on the outside as well as play SS. 

But if we're going that direction why not Fitz who can rush off the edge and ccover like a CB. In fact I think he could probably play CB.

Just now, big9erfan said:

But if we're going that direction why not Fitz who can rush off the edge and ccover like a CB. In fact I think he could probably play CB.

Of course Fitzpatrick is an option, but he may not be there. 

One thing people have been kind of downplaying is just how good Reid was at covering opposing TEs last year. There is a reason most of them were held in check. With Reid likely gone, we need someone to take over those responsibilities. Tartt is a stud, but not sure if he is that guy either. 

I"m not sure if this is good news or bad news. I just read that Chicago is intetrested in Denzel Ward. That might be what we need to have a shot at Nelson. He's been my favorite all year. Now that it sounds like it just might be possible I'm wondering if I don't realluy want Ward more.  I know that my fantasy would be Nrowell or Pugh as a FA and Ward with our pick.

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I"m not sure if this is good news or bad news. I just read that Chicago is intetrested in Denzel Ward. That might be what we need to have a shot at Nelson. He's been my favorite all year. Now that it sounds like it just might be possible I'm wondering if I don't realluy want Ward more.  I know that my fantasy would be Nrowell or Pugh as a FA and Ward with our pick.

I think nelson goes to Tampa at 7 depending on what Denver does at qb. If they go with keenum, they could take nelson at 5

Archived