2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, John232 said:

yeah agreed. And drafts usually play out like this too, someone unexpected or unwarranted goes high. Elite prospect drops. Last year it was Malik Hooker and Jonathan Allen.

Lost in my love for Barkley, is that I really, really want us to trade back with someone. Even if it's not a huge move back. But I think acquiring another second, third or even fourth will go a long long ways with us. 

I also think how teams view Lamar Jackson, and to a lesser extent, Rudolph, becomes pretty integral to our trade market. Teams like San Diego, Miami, Pittsburgh (not their type) and some other teams i'd imagine are going to seriously consider taking one of those two. Maybe not at 9, but if we trade back to 12 and want to trade back a  second time, I could see a team wanting to move up to 12(ish) to grab one of them. 

I didn't expect Mahomes to go that high last year. Someone just might love Jackson or Rudolph that much. :Like you say, not at 9. But 9 to 12 for an extra second and then maybe a few more spots for another second or even future second. That might work for us.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I didn't expect Mahomes to go that high last year. Someone just might love Jackson or Rudolph that much. :Like you say, not at 9. But 9 to 12 for an extra second and then maybe a few more spots for another second or even future second. That might work for us.

Yeah, the Chargers are the team I'd really be looking out for too. 

Anthony Lynn:

"The days of the one-dimensional pocket-passing quarterback in the NFL are over," Los Angeles Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn said. "I know coaches and experts say and want to think otherwise, but the fact is, if you don’t have a quarterback who can give you some kind of effective movement, you’ve got a dead offense."

This doesn't mean that every QB has to be Lamar Jackson, but I think there's been a huge stigma around QB's who are dangerous runners. As in they are unable to develop as pocket passers. I think that stigma is fading. I really like Lamar Jackson as a prospect and I think a team as loaded as San Diego but looking down the barrel of Phillip River's age, they should be considering grabbing Jackson before Arizona has a chance to take him. 

2 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, the Chargers are the team I'd really be looking out for too. 

Anthony Lynn:

This doesn't mean that every QB has to be Lamar Jackson, but I think there's been a huge stigma around QB's who are dangerous runners. As in they are unable to develop as pocket passers. I think that stigma is fading. I really like Lamar Jackson as a prospect and I think a team as loaded as San Diego but looking down the barrel of Phillip River's age, they should be considering grabbing Jackson before Arizona has a chance to take him. 

So Coach Lynn can you tell us what you think of Phillip Rivers?

12 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I think we all have a draft crush like that. I kept thinking there was a way Von Miller could fall to us. At least my dream was crushed early when he went second.

Likewise with Megatron going 2nd =)

I feel good about the upcoming draft. I trust our front office due to the results from last year's draft. For now i give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Multi round mocks are for fun since no one knows what's happening beyond the first handful of guys.  Sitll I saw one I liked for us. James at 9 - that's the only pick I'm n ot crazy about but Chubb, Ward, Nelson and Edmunds were all gone.  Besides if he becomes Earl Thomas that would be fine. We can let Ward and his big contract go and use that money on some other position. Anyway after that he has us with St. Brown, Penny and Josie Jewell.  Leaves us without an edge guy, but there just aren't any I love.  I would love St. Brown, Penny and Jewel.

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Multi round mocks are for fun since no one knows what's happening beyond the first handful of guys.  Sitll I saw one I liked for us. James at 9 - that's the only pick I'm n ot crazy about but Chubb, Ward, Nelson and Edmunds were all gone.  Besides if he becomes Earl Thomas that would be fine. We can let Ward and his big contract go and use that money on some other position. Anyway after that he has us with St. Brown, Penny and Josie Jewell.  Leaves us without an edge guy, but there just aren't any I love.  I would love St. Brown, Penny and Jewel.

I'm with you. I like this draft a lot. I think I would rather target Landry in this scenario in the first, just because I don't know what we do with all these safeties. Not a huge believer in Landry, but I think he'd be the most capable pass rusher on the team early. But I like the other three quite a bit.

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I don't know how that would work. Isn't his salary now fully guaranteed? Maybe we could trade him and save that money, but if we cut him, we don't save a penny. Is any team interested in paying him 8.5m, with his injury history? Just look at the free agency market for safeties, right now. There's not a lot of urgency, and the salaries reflect that. Teams aren't paying for safeties right now. So I doubt we'll find a trade partner for an injury-prone one, being paid more than most starting safeties in the league. And one that hasn't really ever proved himself either. So I don't think it's realistic. I think Jimmie will be on the roster on day 1. Probably on IR by the end of the year, but he'll be a niner throughout 2018.

51 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I don't know how that would work. Isn't his salary now fully guaranteed? Maybe we could trade him and save that money, but if we cut him, we don't save a penny. Is any team interested in paying him 8.5m, with his injury history? Just look at the free agency market for safeties, right now. There's not a lot of urgency, and the salaries reflect that. Teams aren't paying for safeties right now. So I doubt we'll find a trade partner for an injury-prone one, being paid more than most starting safeties in the league. And one that hasn't really ever proved himself either. So I don't think it's realistic. I think Jimmie will be on the roster on day 1. Probably on IR by the end of the year, but he'll be a niner throughout 2018.

Yes, his salary is now fully guaranteed. We are paying it unless we trade him, so there's no reason just to cut bait with him, and I can't see anyone on the planet trading for him. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yes, his salary is now fully guaranteed. We are paying it unless we trade him, so there's no reason just to cut bait with him, and I can't see anyone on the planet trading for him. 

I agree with your agreement.

And arguably, the staff likes him, and then, we also have Colbert. So I just don't see us picking a safety, just to replace a safety we like, who's backed up by a safety we like. 

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I think he meant next year. I wonder what ward will demand on the open market.. 

Eric Reid still sitting out there. It's a shame, he's been such an exemplary human and since being drafted all he has done is produce, even when the talent level around him seriously deteriorated

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Sorry. I meant after this year. That gives James a year to learn the defense so he's ready to step in and play at a high level next year. Like I said and Y2 agreed - not agree crazy about picking James. But he's likely way better than Ward and will be reasonably cheap for 5 years. Given the guys that were gone in this draft I mighjt consider Landry or Davenport - but I do think James is way more "can't miss" than either of those two.

30 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think he meant next year. I wonder what ward will demand on the open market.. 

Eric Reid still sitting out there. It's a shame, he's been such an exemplary human and since being drafted all he has done is produce, even when the talent level around him seriously deteriorated

Yep. Should have clarified that. I'd go so far as to say I think he's gone after this year. Maybe it's just because I have so little confidence in him staying healthy.  But on the offchance he plays really well for a whole season then we might find his asking price too high. We have to be thinkiong about him and Brown as we plan the rest of this offseason. OT and S might be higher priorities than it seems to us.

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Yep. Should have clarified that. I'd go so far as to say I think he's gone after this year. Maybe it's just because I have so little confidence in him staying healthy.  But on the offchance he plays really well for a whole season then we might find his asking price too high. We have to be thinkiong about him and Brown as we plan the rest of this offseason. OT and S might be higher priorities than it seems to us.

I agree that OT is possibly way higher on the FO's list than we, fans, think. I don't know about S, though. Their value has decreased recently. Last year, we were arguing taking Hooker at 2, and he ended up at 15. I agree that James could be an upgrade over Ward in time, but I don't know that he'll be valued high enough to be taken at 9 by us or any team we'd trade with. Teams feel they can get very good production at S without having to invest so much in it. I read an article yesterday that mentioned the Bills safety duo (Hyde and Poyer), who led the league in INTs, while being paid a combined 6.5m. Sure, everyone would love to have an Ed Reed or a Troy Polamalu, but they'd much rather invest in two great cover corners and pass rushers, and invest less in their safeties. That's why very good safeties are still unsigned on the free agent market. We look at Eric Reid and may think it's because of his social activism, but when you look at the other free agent safeties still unsigned (the only one that has signed is Mathieu, really), we can see the market is just really cold. So sure, James might be an upgrade in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the 20s. Teams will take riskier shots at pass rushers and CBs, and overlook a S that perhaps should have been drafted earlier. 

Anyway, I don't think Lynch will be looking to fix a hole for 2019. He'll focus on the 2018 holes first. And yes, I include OT as a 2018 hole, because I'm not convinced Trent Brown will be a niner by the end of the draft. 

Archived