2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think people have always underrated McGlinchey, and I believe he is a top 10-15 prospect in this draft.

And, I don't want him, because I don't see the system fit. But- if Shanny says he is a fit, then I will trust his judgement over mine. But that is definitely my second least favorite outcome suggested at #9 (next to Davenport).

I agree with this mostly. Here's my reservation though. McG probably isn't even as good as Brown right now. Either he sits behind him  or starts after we trade Brown. In neither case are we any better this year.  Whatever the reservations are about Davenport I can't help but think he does make us better this year. Our edge rush is non existent - far worse than our RT play with Brown in there. I'm all about going to the playoffs and then going as deep into them as possible. McG does not help us do that very much, Davenport can. And, yeah, I am worried about our future but frankly before the news seems to have leaked out that we are interested in McG just about everyone had Davenport and McG rated roughly equally. So we'd still be getting a guy with huge a huge upside and a long term asset.

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

If I had to grade out the picks that we could potentially make, I'd say:

Nelson - 9. Okay, he's not "ideal" in terms of fit. His feet are not the greatest thing about his game, I will concede. He's not Wynn, or Ragnow with regards to his movement. But watching his tape, I don't see a guy that has a great deal of problems moving either. Plus, he's a beast in power run game scenarios, IE, short yardage, where we really, really struggled last year. This is a guy that could match up with someone like Donald and not be a turnstile. 

Smith - 8.5. He's going to be a stud. I don't love him as a MIKE the way I love him as a WILL, but I think that he could fill in there for Foster for the time being, though I don't want him there long term. I just think his better role is at the WILL. The majority of complaints you hear about him? Take a gander...they're weirdly similar to the same complaints about a former 49er linebacker named Navarro Bowman (even down to the thought that he couldn't play anywhere but WILL). 

Edmunds - 7.75. The thing about Edmunds is that his instincts suck, but I would imagine that his role in our defense would be the Bruce Irvin / Seahawks SAM role, and I think that he could do that extremely well. Go hit the quarterback. Take the instincts out. Being able to potentially grab 7-8 sacks a season from the strong side linebacker role? That's going to make life a lot easier for our "true" pass rushers. Then you hope that he grows into the instincts that makes him somewhat reliable on the field for three downs and not just coming down hill. Plus, who knows...eventually you can groom him to play the edge on passing downs and being force on the edge. But there's a lot more projecting with Edmunds than there is with some of the other guys in this area. 

Derwin / Minkah - 7.75. Nothing wrong with either of these picks. Minkah has a sky high football IQ...he's a future defensive captain in the making. He can be a ballhawk from the safety position, and slide down and play on man. He's a safe, solid pick. Fit in the scheme would have to be worked out, but he's the type of player that you make it work on. James has a similar swiss army skill set, though it's applied in a different manner, of course. 

Harold Landry - 6.75. Most know that I'm not a huge fan - I just understand the impetus for drafting him. I have concerns about him, and I don't think that he's a top 12 player in this draft. He's a true leo though, and I appreciate that more than taking someone like Chubb, so I would get the pick. The ding on this grade would be more about the player in comparison to the rest of the prospects. If we traded down and got him at like 18 or 19? This pick is probably an 8.  

Denzel Ward - 6. A 6? Really? Let's preface this by saying that this has nothing to do with Ward as a player, who I absolutely feel is a top 10 player in this draft. This has everything to do with our scheme and deployment of his skill set. I think you're wasting a lot of talent with Ward in this scheme. 

Bradley Chubb - 6. Again, a 6? Yep. Like ward, this really has nothing to do with his overall talent. He's a top 7 or 8 player in this draft. But I don't view him as a true leo, and I think he's a little too close to the type of players we already have on the line. He may be a slightly superior pass rusher than Solomon, but I don't think he has the upside to be a pass rusher in the manner of Landry, if that makes sense. 

Marcus Davenport - 5.5. He's so raw. I was uninspired by his senior bowl week as well. #9 is just really steep for him. Again, with a trade back, this grade goes up - probably right around Landry's grade or just below. Points for the need, and the potential, but #9 is just too rich for him. He's a long term play similar to Ziggy Ansah. Could work, but there's some real bust potential there. 

Barkley - 5.5. I just think that it's overkill and the law of diminishing returns at some point. I don't view the skill positions as a crazy need, and I actually kind of like what we have on offense right now. I think the net gain from him would be less than the net gain from others. Obviously, bonus points here for the very high floor. Would i be upset with the pick? No, of course not. Its Barkley, but I have to be honest and just admit that I wouldn't love it. 

Ridley / Moore / Sutton - 4.5. I mean, I guess I could see the appeal, but man, this is a huge reach, and I don't love any wide receivers in the first round. This has become a very difficult position for first rounders the last few years to boot. If you're not a Green / Julio  type prospect at wide receiver, I just really don't want you in the first round. 

Mike McGlinchey - 4.5 It's not a real need at the current point in time, and I just don't see  the fit scheme wise at all. Also a pretty substantial reach for me. 

I could open it up and include more (possibly for trade downs), but this was a lot of writing at this point. 

I'm not going to lie...most of these are pretty arbitrary figures at this point lol...I just wanted to have a post with some sort of grading system lol

Great job!

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

He's talking about Mack

Whoa, really? I haven't heard a single word about Mack possibly being moved. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Gruden, that's for sure. God, what a trade that would be. 

Kahlil Mack being traded to someone in the top 5 would absolutely make me pissed off about winning so many games at the end of last year. I would gladly give him 100 million but tell him he has to pick a new number  

Just now, Forge said:

Whoa, really? I haven't heard a single word about Mack possibly being moved. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Gruden, that's for sure. God, what a trade that would be. 

They seem to have issue with the amount of money he wants. John says he's looking for 110+ million and raiders won't go over 100.

1 minute ago, N4L said:

@Forge I would say you should start your own podcast, but that would mean less posts on this forum, so nvm...

@y2lamanaki and I were going to start one but we had a falling out over what the topic should be. He wanted to do football, I wanted to do CareBear Collectibles. Our mod partnership has never been the same since. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

They seem to have issue with the amount of money he wants. John says he's looking for 110+ million and raiders won't go over 100.

Send him here...we will no doubt give him 110 million...it'll just be structured in the way that we want lol. 

Forge - not going to re-quote your whole assessment but two comments. One - I love your assessment of Edmunds and why I want him. Maybe I want Smith more because his floor is incredibly high. But I also think he's likely to be gone. I just don't see a Leo candidate there for us unless we trade down or "reach", which I don't want us to do. Next best thing as far as I'm concerned is a Sam that can bring edge pressure. 6-8 sacks doesn't sound like a lot. Sadly though, it would make him the best rusher on our team. So I'd be fine with a "See QB. Go get QB" kind of approach with him while he develops his overall game.  It's not like I think that's all he can be. I think he'll be great. But while he rounds out his game, his body and his skillset I would gladly settly for a half dozen or more sacks from him. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Funny you say that because Middlekauff wrote about the 49ers trading for him a few weeks ago. It was a hypothetical but he said something like this years 1st+2nd and 2019 1st. Honestly, I'd do that. 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Kahlil Mack being traded to someone in the top 5 would absolutely make me pissed off about winning so many games at the end of last year. I would gladly give him 100 million but tell him he has to pick a new number  

I said back then it would hurt us in the end. I had no interest in making an end of game FG to add one more win to our total and hurt our draft chances. A few picks higher and we could be looking at a boatload of picks from a QB-needy team.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Forge - not going to re-quote your whole assessment but two comments. One - I love your assessment of Edmunds and why I want him. Maybe I want Smith more because his floor is incredibly high. But I also think he's likely to be gone. I just don't see a Leo candidate there for us unless we trade down or "reach", which I don't want us to do. Next best thing as far as I'm concerned is a Sam that can bring edge pressure. 6-8 sacks doesn't sound like a lot. Sadly though, it would make him the best rusher on our team. So I'd be fine with a "See QB. Go get QB" kind of approach with him while he develops his overall game.  It's not like I think that's all he can be. I think he'll be great. But while he rounds out his game, his body and his skillset I would gladly settly for a half dozen or more sacks from him. 

Oopos forgot the second ... if Barkley happened to be there at 9 what do you think we could get in a trade for him.

Archived