2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Cardinals have to be going after a QB as their first pick next year right? 

Depends on the record they have. There are going to be some vets available so they could go that route if they aren't bad enough. I honestly don't know how Brees resigns with the saints given their cap problem. Bradford or teddy b will be available. Cutler again. Alex Smith. Some others could get cut

19 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Joe Giles-Harris - Oustide LB - Duke

This dude is a straight animal, If we're looking for a LB in the first couple rounds then I want him. He's a guy to watch against Miami this weekend. 

Isn't he only a redshirt Sophomore? Do you think that he's going to declare?

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

2 years starting in the ACC is plenty of experience, and if he's graded a top 50 player then why risk another year at that violent of a position? 

You just don't see a lot of redshirt sophs declaring, especially at that position. He's not a rush linebacker, but a true off the ball backer playing WILL. If he were an edge guy, I think it would be more likely.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

You just don't see a lot of redshirt sophs declaring, especially at that position. He's not a rush linebacker, but a true off the ball backer playing WILL. If he were an edge guy, I think it would be more likely.

If they're graded out high enough any rSO will declare

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If they're graded out high enough any rSO will declare

Sure, it's possible. Just don't think it's probable. Bradford / Winston / Luck were all surefire #1 picks after their redshirt sophomore years. Only one declared. Believe only 16 declared last year - two were top 3 picks, and none of them were off the ball linebackers. I think only 7 declared the year before, though one was an off the ball linebacker (Darron Lee). So it's certainly not impossible - I don't want to give that impression. I just think it's very unlikely unless he's a sure fire #1 and likely top off the ball linebacker coming out, which I'm not sure that he is at this point. Long season though - we will see. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Sure, it's possible. Just don't think it's probable. Bradford / Winston / Luck were all surefire #1 picks after their redshirt sophomore years. Only one declared. Believe only 16 declared last year - two were top 3 picks, and none of them were off the ball linebackers. I think only 7 declared the year before, though one was an off the ball linebacker (Darron Lee). So it's certainly not impossible - I don't want to give that impression. I just think it's very unlikely unless he's a sure fire #1 and likely top off the ball linebacker coming out, which I'm not sure that he is at this point. Long season though - we will see. 

"Only" 16 is a lot to me, but that doesnt really matter I'm just bringing him up because he's eligible and I think he's one of the best backers I've seen in a while. Not a big deal I wont bring up redshirt sophomores if its something that bothers you. 

45 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

"Only" 16 is a lot to me, but that doesnt really matter I'm just bringing him up because he's eligible and I think he's one of the best backers I've seen in a while. Not a big deal I wont bring up redshirt sophomores if its something that bothers you. 

I always think about it from the total number of draftees eligible, so 16 out of 300 doesn't seem like a lot to me, but 16 more than doubled the previous years, and it's constantly on the rise, so I get how it's a lot comparatively speaking to previous years. 

And never did I say it bothers me or that we shouldn't talk about it. We talk about Darnold all the time, he's a redshirt sophomore. I mentioned Allen leading up the draft last year, and he was a redshirt soph, so I have no issue with that whatsoever. Just thought it was interesting is all because I view him as a midround guy so the part . A little light for me right now, good instincts and a nose for getting to the ball carrier. I just think he's going to struggle to shed blocks at the next level right now. Also, I absolutely need to see him get a better target area in his tackling and hit lower - way too often I'm seeing him trying to stand up guys or tackling up around the shoulders. That scares as I think he'd whiff on a lot of tackles at the next level, particularly against smaller shiftier guys. That's the biggest thing on the field that I want to see him get better at. Given that I view him as a mid round guy right now, I never gave real consideration to him declaring, so that's the part I wanted to discuss. I asked, you answered, I replied...it was just conversation flow. I was responding to what was said specifically, that's all. 

Red shirt Soph = Junior who didn't play much or any his first year. That's the way I think about it.  Of course the guy might want to play another year, or even two, in college before moving on to the NFL. So he does have that choice.  But if he's good enough to be a relatively high draft pick I think more and more guys like that will just move  one.

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Red shirt Soph = Junior who didn't play much or any his first year. That's the way I think about it.  Of course the guy might want to play another year, or even two, in college before moving on to the NFL. So he does have that choice.  But if he's good enough to be a relatively high draft pick I think more and more guys like that will just move  one.

And they should. If you're going to get paid at the next level, you don't need to be risking your mind and body for longer than you should. But the track record for them declaring hasn't been great, even for highly touted prospects (though I agree that the number will likely increase). Last year, you had 5 redshirt sophs in the top 15 (MG, Thomas, Lattimore, Hooker, Adams), so it's definitely on the upswing. I just don't see Giles-Harris at that level quite yet. They have to be mindful that despite high grades from advisory board in a lot of instances, you still have about 25-30% of the early entrants go undrafted...that's a pretty substantial risk. If you're getting top 10 type grades, then yeah, they're probably gone and should be, but if you're a guy getting that day two type grade from the advisory board (Hello Bucky Hodges!) , it may be in your better interest to wait a year or so because those are the guys that could just as easily go undrafted. It's a tricky field to navigate, no doubt. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting question here. Would you rather trade for Luck and give up three 1st rounders or keep the draft picks and draft one of the upcoming prospects?

If I was comfortable with Luck's health, I'd entertain it. As it is right now, I loathe shoulder injuries for quarterbacks. He's been good in his career, only sometimes great. I don't think I can pull the trigger on three firsts at this point in time. 

Archived