2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

When I look at our team I think our RB corps might well be the strongest position group on the team.  No way do I want to spend a first round pick, likely a high one, on a RB.  QB of course, but other than that give me an edge rusher or a shut down corner. Give me a stud WR. Turn the high pick into two lower first round picks and get me a C and a G.  Other than big d-line guys I can't imagine wanting to use a high pick on any position less than on a RB.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

When I look at our team I think our RB corps might well be the strongest position group on the team.  No way do I want to spend a first round pick, likely a high one, on a RB.  QB of course, but other than that give me an edge rusher or a shut down corner. Give me a stud WR. Turn the high pick into two lower first round picks and get me a C and a G.  Other than big d-line guys I can't imagine wanting to use a high pick on any position less than on a RB.

I don't know about a high pick but a mid-rounder would suit me just fine. That's why I really like guys like Jaylen Samuels or Sony Michel round 4 or later of the draft. Both fit the offense from a pass-catching perspective and are tough, physical runners between the tackles, despite their speed and athleticism. Either could unseat both Brieda and Williams as far as the depth chart and I could see both being productive NFL ball carriers, sooner rather than later. Nobody likes Barkley more than me. I've been talking him up since early last year but he's definitely going top 10. Now if we do get Cousins, I'd be all for trading down and grabbing Barkley, then drafting a mid round QB like Findley later in the draft. That would be a dream scenario really....

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't know about a high pick but a mid-rounder would suit me just fine. That's why I really guys like Jaylen Samuels or Sony Michel round 4 or later of the draft. Both fit the offense from a pass-catching perspective and are tough, physical runners between the tackles, despite their speed and athleticism. Either could unseat both Brieda and Williams as far as the depth chart and I could see both being productive NFL ball carriers, sooner rather than later. 

Fine with me. I was addressing the desire for Chubb, who I think is going very high.

Allen Lazard on ISU is a big bodied WR who has been making plays for them for quite sometime, a name I've always kept an eye out for for his size and physical play. Has the game winning TD catch with a OUs best CB, Jordan Thomas covering him fairly well. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

All in on Chubb. Meh on Findley. Don't think he has a NFL arm. 

Chubb is definitely one of my favorites for the 1st round if we sign Cousins. 

Count me in on this. Like Chubb, don't care for Finley. Doesn't help that he's old for a rookie and past my age cut off. I mean, this is his sixth year of eligibility in college. 

On 10/7/2017 at 3:52 PM, Fureys49ers said:

Allen Lazard on ISU is a big bodied WR who has been making plays for them for quite sometime, a name I've always kept an eye out for for his size and physical play. Has the game winning TD catch with a OUs best CB, Jordan Thomas covering him fairly well. 

With a push off or two mixed in there, yes.  

Oh that was a painful game. My Sooners hardly showed up to play.

On 10/7/2017 at 1:52 PM, Fureys49ers said:

Do you get a Devin Funchess vibe from him? I love his size, obviously, but I feel like he's stiff in his routes and running. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you get a Devin Funchess vibe from him? I love his size, obviously, but I feel like he's stiff in his routes and running. 

I do have my concerns over his separation ability but man can this dude catch the ball in traffic, definitely knows how to use his body, high point the ball and once it hits his hands it's a catch. From what I've seen he's got some run after the catch ability for a big guy too. He does look a little stiff and even in his YAC he doesn't appear to have great shake or fluidity when weaving through traffic so I'd imagine his route running is a little of the same. Watching some of his games though he does appear to have a good feel for sitting down in a zone and getting open for his QB when scrambling so I'd say he's got some natural football awareness, IQ or instincts, whatever you'd like to call it. He's been producing since he stepped foot at ISU too.

4 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I do have my concerns over his separation ability but man can this dude catch the ball in traffic, definitely knows how to use his body, high point the ball and once it hits his hands it's a catch. From what I've seen he's got some run after the catch ability for a big guy too. He does look a little stiff and even in his YAC he doesn't appear to have great shake or fluidity when weaving through traffic so I'd imagine his route running is a little of the same. Watching some of his games though he does appear to have a good feel for sitting down in a zone and getting open for his QB when scrambling so I'd say he's got some natural football awareness, IQ or instincts, whatever you'd like to call it. He's been producing since he stepped foot at ISU too.

I thought he was strangely elusive after the catch too. I dont know where he's getting picked but I'd be happy with a weapon like him. Even if he's Funchess-like I'd be happy with that receiver paired with Taylor, Garcon, and Goodwin. 

30 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I thought he was strangely elusive after the catch too. I dont know where he's getting picked but I'd be happy with a weapon like him. Even if he's Funchess-like I'd be happy with that receiver paired with Taylor, Garcon, and Goodwin. 

That's similar to my thinking. Let's get a big bodied WR who has 50/50 skills and red zone appeal. That skill set would be nice to have next to a reliable Garçon and a quick, shifty slot guy like Taylor. I'd like to see another WR taken too like a Cam Phillips or Anthony Miller, to groom and possibly be a Garçon type as he gets older. Right now I think all these guys could be had in the 3rd-4th round range at this point in the season. Add in the speed element with Goodwin am I feel we have an all around solid WR group, prepared for both the now and future.

25 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I was pissed when the Browns stole Garrett, but I'm going to be angry beyond words if they steal Rosen this year. 

Don't think of it as them stealing him or MG. They are just better at tanking than we are. We are just getting beat by a superior opponent. 

Besides, I think that we are still getting Cousins anyway. 

Archived