2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

10 hours ago, Forge said:

The only one I'd really disagree with is Winston to be perfectly honest. I know that he's an NFL quarterback and still solid, but he's faaaaaar below what I thought he was going to be. So far, he's been a pretty big disappointment for me. I mean, he's fine...just not living up to what I expected. I watched that Pats game, and while it was only a game, I thought his arm just looked awful. No deep ball, Passes were dying midflight. It was so bad that I asked in the Gen GDT if there was crazy wind kicked up or something. 

That seems to be Winston's deal so far in his career. He'll have some games where he's really on point and some where it doesn't look like he can even throw a football. 

20 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That seems to be Winston's deal so far in his career. He'll have some games where he's really on point and some where it doesn't look like he can even throw a football. 

Yeah, I think that goes back to FSU as well. He threw some awful INTs at FSU, but also seems to find a way to make plays. Admittedly I haven't watched much of Jameis in the NFL, but he seems to be the same guy he was at Florida State to me. 

Like @J-ALL-DAY eluded to, LB might be a bit more of a need now that we've moved on from 53.

Derwin James can play there if we want to go defense with our 1st pick. Not a typical or pure LB but he's not a just a deep safety either and he's most definitely a top 10 talent. A Shaq Thompson role isnt out of the question. 

He's really the only 1st round player I'd go after, If we're a top 3 overall pick maybe we trade back a few spots load up on picks and select a guy like Derwin James at pick 5-10. 

12 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Like @J-ALL-DAY eluded to, LB might be a bit more of a need now that we've moved on from 53.

Derwin James can play there if we want to go defense with our 1st pick. Not a typical or pure LB but he's not a just a deep safety either and he's most definitely a top 10 talent. A Shaq Thompson role isnt out of the question. 

He's really the only 1st round player I'd go after, If we're a top 3 overall pick maybe we trade back a few spots load up on picks and select a guy like Derwin James at pick 5-10. 

LB is no more a need than it was before from a front office point of view. The team needed a SAM before and after Bowman's release. Foster and Malcolm Smith are and were still both going to play. Front office gave Smith too much money to have him sit.

We as a fan base might not be enamored with Smith, but it doesn't affect team needs from a front office point of view. 

Luke Falk??? Call might just have had one of the best defensive games (statistically at least) in the history of college football. OK, maybe a bit of an exaggeration. But they got 7 turnovers and sacked Falk 9 times! That's just amazing. 

FWIW I watched. Falk a couple times last year and was not impressed. I think he's the perfect example of a system qb. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Figured you'd like this

Interesting. I think of Cousins as being quite a bit bigger than Mayfield but according to team listings Mayfield actually weighs a bit more and is only two inches shorter.  We'll see what the real numbers are when the combine measurements show up.  Maybe Mayfield can not only be a Wilson type, but an improved Cousins.  He's really accurate, which Shanny loves, he's athletic and mobile which will be huge assets.  He's also got the "it" thing going and is tough as heck out there, which is what Shanny said attracted him to Beathard.  The question is how well can he diagnose defenses and quickly figure out what to do and where to go with the ball.

Tell me why Mason Rudolph isn't being talked about as a higher draft choice than Rosen or Darnold? Is it the offense he plays in? The competition? The helpful cast? He's put up quality numbers, but there seems to be this consensus that he's maybe a late first rounder while Rosen and Darnold are top ten talent. Actually, this is the same with Mayfield, but at least with him I've heard size is a concern. I know there is a lot of time between now and the draft, but I'm just wondering what the thought process is as to why Rudolph is taking a back seat. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Tell me why Mason Rudolph isn't being talked about as a higher draft choice than Rosen or Darnold? Is it the offense he plays in? The competition? The helpful cast? He's put up quality numbers, but there seems to be this consensus that he's maybe a late first rounder while Rosen and Darnold are top ten talent. Actually, this is the same with Mayfield, but at least with him I've heard size is a concern. I know there is a lot of time between now and the draft, but I'm just wondering what the thought process is as to why Rudolph is taking a back seat. 

Name the successful QBs to come out of the Big 12 playing in the NFL.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Name the successful QBs to come out of the Big 12 playing in the NFL.

Exactly. I've made my bias against big xii quarterbacks well known in here. Youve got Bradford, who i think would have been better than he is in different circumstances (and he's still okay when on the field) but thats about it.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Exactly. I've made my bias against big xii quarterbacks well known in here. Youve got Bradford, who i think would have been better than he is in different circumstances (and he's still okay when on the field) but thats about it.

So the big 12 collectively has a pact to recruit quarterbacks that are good enough for college and not the pros?

Archived