2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, Knowledge said:

Hows the QB class looking this year? Any franchise QBs? Darnold? Rosen?

I like Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen the most. 

Darnold looks very off right now, not a top 3 pick.

Clayton Thorson of Northwestern is a name I heard the other day and tbh I've never watched him but some say he's a 1st round guy. I think rJr. 

59 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Clayton Thorson of Northwestern is a name I heard the other day and tbh I've never watched him but some say he's a 1st round guy. I think rJr. 

I mentioned Thorson in the draft forum about a week ago. I don't see a first round guy, but I do see a very, very intriguing prospect there. His numbers aren't sexy, but there is a ton to really like there. 

Darnold I think may have fallen behind Rosen for me, even though I'm fairly lenient on Darnold for some of the issues that have arisen this year. I still like Allen. There's still franchise potential there for sure, but he's more of a project at this point more than likely. But he can still be a franchise guy...the odds that he becomes one is just not as high as some of the others. But his potential is really high. 

I'm not a fan of Rudolph, though he has some massive supporters. I just see a guy that doesn't read defenses, plays in a very simplistic offense, etc. People know how I feel about these type systems and even that conference for the most part, so I won't get into it too much. I acknowledge that if Rudolph gets it upstairs though, he's got some massive potential. Not the most physically gifted guy - he's not Mahomes or anything in terms of raw skillset, but could certainly be a guy that makes it at the next level. 

i have been watching a lot of usc this year and I do like what I have seen from darnold. He has good mechanics and he sees the field well. He can make all of the throws with accuracy and on time.  

Seems like he's developing some really bad habits right now. He tries to be Superman a little too often and caught from time to time. He seems like a tough, gritty guy who doesn't know when to throw the ball out of bounds. Hes made some mistakes but you have to like it when your qb leaves it all on the field. 

He is surrounded by a lot of really good talent as well. Lots of speed everywhere.

I would be on board with taking him in the top 5 but I'm not sold on him as #1 overall. 

I am going to try to catch the next two or three UCLA games. I don't really know a lot about these qbs..  yet

11 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

A guy who is really intriguing to me is Ryan Findley of NC State. He's a graduate transfer from Boise State. Kid has great mobility for pocket passer and a good arm. Looks like a guy whose stock could rise if his team continues to play at a high level. I could see him going in the 3rd or later. I like Findley more than I like Thorson.

NC State also has a nice RB in Jaylen Samuels who looks tailor-made for Shanny's offense.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Eh, give me Cousins and then someone in the 2nd or later...so much money, at some point we have to use it! Why not shore up the QB position immediately instead of with a question mark like a rookie?

Pass rush could really use a push.

That's exactly why I have no issue with us spending the money on Cousins. I get the appeal of a rookie guy - you could get someone better than Cousins, and on a rookie deal for 5 years, which is great. But at the same time, it is super hard to get a quarterback even as good as Cousins, even in the first round. There's something to be said about a known quantity, and then we can use that high pick on another position of need. Also, if we end up in the top 2 with Darnold and Rosen at the top, I think that there's a real chance we can get a nice haul for that pick. Spend those to sure up the other positions of need that we have. 

11 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Best year I can ever remember for qbs. There are a lot of qbs in this class that will be in the NFL for years to come. Of course that makes the job of ranking them all that much harder and all that much more important 

Yeah its pretty good crop of QBs. Even the guys slated to go in the lower rounds have flashed potential. Which is why I'm hoping we draft two of them. Couldn't hurt IMO. One with the first pick. The other a mid-late round guy. Exactly like the Skins did with RG3 and Cousins, though I prefer both have similar skill sets that fit Shanny's offense.

15 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yeah its pretty good crop of QBs. Even the guys slated to go in the lower rounds have flashed potential. Which is why I'm hoping we draft two of them. Couldn't hurt IMO. One with the first pick. The other a mid-late round guy. Exactly like the Skins did with RG3 and Cousins, though I prefer both have similar skill sets that fit Shanny's offense.

Draft 2? when we Beat it hard in the 3rd this past year? seems like overkill

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Draft 2? when we Beat it hard in the 3rd this past year? seems like overkill

No reason to just assure Beathard a roster spot. The third is a sunk cost. If you want someone like Rosen at the top of round 1, and then you really like another guy (someone like Thorson) who is available in 4, no reason not to take him, particularly if you think he could be better than Beathard. 

Im of the thought process to go and get Cousins and take another guy in the midrounds. Someone mentioned earlier Ryan Finley of NC State, should be fun to watch him and Lamar Jackson compete tom. I've always been a fan of Riley Ferguson from Memphis and Mayfield from Oklahoma (would love to see what him and Shanahan could do together) but those guys might be going a little earlier than I'd like to take a QB at assuming we land Cousins. Too many needs else where to be taking a QB early with the signing of Cousins and drafting Beathard in the 3rd last year. Give me Harold Landry with our 1st, a WR and OG/C in the 2nd and I'll be very pleased. Then maybe we can look QB but I'd still like to see a CB and another OL added before one personally. It's not because of anything I've seen from Beathard during the preseason or believe Cousins will play into his late 30's but more so no matter who is playing QB for us we need to help them out as much as possible, whether that be adding talent around him on offense, protecting him with a better OL or improving our defense so we're not asking him to win a shoot out every week. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

No reason to just assure Beathard a roster spot. The third is a sunk cost. If you want someone like Rosen at the top of round 1, and then you really like another guy (someone like Thorson) who is available in 4, no reason not to take him, particularly if you think he could be better than Beathard. 

Well now you're assuming Beathard misses whatever bar we have for him this season. Thats a totally different situation that we wont know until the seasons done, but going off what my expectations are for him I assume he's going to have a safe spot entering Camp next year to compete with Hoyer for the #2 Job (if we bring in Cousins, Rosen, Jackson). in the first 4 rounds, I'd rather us draft depth at another position then find a 3rd QB to compete for the #2 spot, rounds 5,6,7, UDFA we could go with whoever and I wont worry. 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Well now you're assuming Beathard misses whatever bar we have for him this season. Thats a totally different situation that we wont know until the seasons done, but going off what my expectations are for him I assume he's going to have a safe spot entering Camp next year to compete with Hoyer for the #2 Job (if we bring in Cousins, Rosen, Jackson). in the first 4 rounds, I'd rather us draft depth at another position then find a 3rd QB to compete for the #2 spot, rounds 5,6,7, UDFA we could go with whoever and I wont worry. 

It really doesn't assume anything on beathard for me. Its about the other guy. If you think the other guy is better than Beathard, why not take him? Now, I do generally agree with you regarding the depth here - I think Cousins (or high pick) / Hoyer and Beathard is a perfectly fine top 3, and there's no reason to draft a quarterback or really look for one there unless you really, really like him. I'll use Thorson as an example again - lets say we have a second round grade on him, think he's better than Beathard, and he's there in the 4th with the pick we got from Pitt? I have no issue with taking him as that is a ton of value for us if we like him that much. It's unnecessary for sure, but given the importance, I won't hate if we overkill that position. 

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

It really doesn't assume anything on beathard for me. Its about the other guy. If you think the other guy is better than Beathard, why not take him? Now, I do generally agree with you regarding the depth here - I think Cousins (or high pick) / Hoyer and Beathard is a perfectly fine top 3, and there's no reason to draft a quarterback or really look for one there unless you really, really like him. I'll use Thorson as an example again - lets say we have a second round grade on him, think he's better than Beathard, and he's there in the 4th with the pick we got from Pitt? I have no issue with taking him as that is a ton of value for us if we like him that much. It's unnecessary for sure, but given the importance, I won't hate if we overkill that position. 

Now thats assuming he's the only player left we have a 2nd round grade on that's there in the 4th then sure i can see it, but if there's any other player with an equal to or better grade then take the one who's got a chance to actually make the roster. We arent keeping 4 QB's, and likely not 3 either. 

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Too many needs else where to be taking a QB early with the signing of Cousins and drafting Beathard in the 3rd last year. Give me Harold Landry with our 1st, a WR and OG/C in the 2nd and I'll be very pleased. Then maybe we can look QB but I'd still like to see a CB and another OL added before one personally. It's not because of anything I've seen from Beathard during the preseason or believe Cousins will play into his late 30's but more so no matter who is playing QB for us we need to help them out as much as possible, whether that be adding talent around him on offense, protecting him with a better OL or improving our defense so we're not asking him to win a shoot out every week. 

I agree with the bold, We've seen the way this regime likes to get a lot of its young talent on the field, our mid rounders over the next couple years will be counted on to contribute regardless of the position. 

Archived