2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, Forge said:

He could definitely be an interesting project type. I wish his arm was more accurate - I don't think that he's a naturally accurate thrower of the football, so that bugs me a little. And of course, there's the PED suspension. Not sure if he comes into the league with a ding already on his record for that or not? 

PED's are one of the last things I really worry about lol I think 90% of the league is on something and I doubt the league cares, but that is an interesting note about him nonetheless. 

On 10/25/2017 at 3:43 AM, PapaShogun said:

I'm starting to wonder if we'll see a lot of quarterbacks go in the first next draft. Like 1999 when Couch, McNown, Culpepper, Smith, and McNabb were all first rounders. The Browns are 49ers are obviously going to be in the hunt. Then there is Eli, Ben, and Rivers who are looking like they could have their successor taken regardless of what those guys decide to do once the season is over. Baltimore is probably stuck with Flacco for another year right? But maybe they get started early? Also Arizona is almost a certainty. Jacksonville needs someone too. Cousins will take one of these teams out the running. However we could still at least see four going early. Darnold potentially staying at USC further clouds the situation though.

Dont forget about Alex Smith and Jimmy garapolo. I would imagine the latter will get inserted into a starting role somewhere. I would be pretty excited if it was here, might be a cheaper alternative to cousins. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Dont forget about Alex Smith and Jimmy garapolo. I would imagine the latter will get inserted into a starting role somewhere. I would be pretty excited if it was here, might be a cheaper alternative to cousins. 

Jimmy hasn't really shown anything. Could very well be the next Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson. Or Matt Flynn.

And that's probably why he'd be cheaper if he were to become a free agent. Don't think it's worth the risk. 

He really is, it sounds too simple but if we get Cousins and pick Barkley instantly become a playoff team. Barkley is the best RB I've ever seen in college, unreal. 

Theres a few other really good RBs in college too but Barkley is better in every facet.  

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The more I watch Sony Michel, the more I want him in a a Niner uniform. Barkley will be tbe talk of the draft and rightfully so but Michel could be the steal of draft@RB.

And those Ohio State unis are a hot mess...

Not so sure after today. Barkeley had that one TD run. Outside of that he carried 20 times for a grand total of 8 yards. Hardly the stuff that super high draft picks are made of.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Not so sure after today. Barkeley had that one TD run. Outside of that he carried 20 times for a grand total of 8 yards. Hardly the stuff that super high draft picks are made of.

Jv o line against elite defensive front

Love Josh Rosen but was concerned about his durability after last season.  He went out again today with an undisclosed injury.

Might not be the best year for QBs after all.  Josh Allen is looking more like a 3rd round project than a can't miss prospect. Rosen might have injury concerns, not to mention some personality concerns.  I still think Darnold has the biggest upside but he's kind of going through a sophomore slump. Rudolph has been playing the best of them but still looks like a "system QB".  Mayfield becomes more intriguing to me as each week goes by.

Some B1G guys I like lower than the first round:

2nd Billy Price - would love to pick him up.  Instant upgrade from Kilgore and can play G too

3rd Simmie Cobbs - great big-bodied receiver; could be the 50-50 ball winner we've been  missing

4th Clayton Thorson - got some of the same toughness and decision making skills as Beathard but with a stronger arm

36 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Love Josh Rosen but was concerned about his durability after last season.  He went out again today with an undisclosed injury.

Might not be the best year for QBs after all.  Josh Allen is looking more like a 3rd round project than a can't miss prospect. Rosen might have injury concerns, not to mention some personality concerns.  I still think Darnold has the biggest upside but he's kind of going through a sophomore slump. Rudolph has been playing the best of them but still looks like a "system QB".  Mayfield becomes more intriguing to me as each week goes by.

The injury is said to be a finger. At worst, I think that's a pretty isolated, "freaky" thing. Nothing to make me concerned about the durability. He had the shoulder injury last year, and that's always a little bit worrisome with quarterbacks, but I haven't seen anything from that negatively impacting his game this year from that. Nothing so far that really gives me any pause with regards to future durability. The personality concerns are potentially legit. 

Allen was never a can't miss prospect. He was always a high ceiling, high bust guy. Also, coming on as of late, it should be noted. Made some big boy throws today, but still had some iffy placement on some. I think he's still going in round one (though the top of round 2 wouldn't completely shock me), but he should scare the heck out of anyone drafting him. I wouldn't lose complete faith in him though - his team averages less than 3.5 yards per carry running the football, and he's pressured on over 26% of his dropbacks, which is most out of the bigger name quarterback prospects (Rosen is second highest). That should tell you quite a bit, particualrly about his offensive line. And we know what happens to most quarterbacks with crappy offensive lines (look at the difference between Derek Carr when he had a bad o-line to when he had a good one). Darnold is definitely enduring some growing pains, but nothing I'm overly concerned about. Guy has played a little over one season of quarterback in college, and only played one season of quarterback in high school. His team around him, particularly his offensive line, is beat to hell. It's to be expected. I'm still full steam ahead on Darnold, though I don't think he has the highest ceiling. Still think that belongs to Allen and Jackson. 

As for Rudolph, he looks like that because I think that's what he is. Nothing about him excites me in any way as a prospect. He has some nice traits, but no truly great ones. I know that there are quite a few people who love him, I'm just not seeing it. I definitely think that he's propped up considerably on the back of a system that made Brandon Weeden a first rounder. 

Baker is a hard eval, but I think if teams ignore his size, he could be a first round pick. Maybe surprisingly high too. But it really depends on if they will ignore that. He just continues to do what he does. Hard not to root for the guy. Not so sure I buy all the great intangibles (he was, after all, arrested this last offseason), but he plays this chaotic game that somehow works. Could work in the NFL too. Someone mentioned Jeff Garcia in comparison to him in the draft forum, and I don't hate that. Jeff always had this little chaos bubble going around him, was undersized but did good work on improv. 

I don't see how Luke Falk is draftable. I hated him last year, this year is no better, especially after being benched tonight. Second time this year he has missed time in a game and his back up has come in and looked better. It's just that system. 

Archived