2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

13 hours ago, Forge said:

The injury is said to be a finger. At worst, I think that's a pretty isolated, "freaky" thing. Nothing to make me concerned about the durability. He had the shoulder injury last year, and that's always a little bit worrisome with quarterbacks, but I haven't seen anything from that negatively impacting his game this year from that. Nothing so far that really gives me any pause with regards to future durability.

I watched a game earlier this year and he seemd to be limping through the whole game. I should add that he has just such an incredible release.  So quick, and throws so effortlessly. He doesn't move likeRodgers, but his throwing reminds me of him.

Not touting Barrett as a potential NFL QB but just wanted to comment that his game yesterday. Rivaled Darnold's Rose Bowl game last year. 33 of 39, but he had 3 perfectly thrown balls just dropped by his receivers. 4 TDs and no Ints. Plus nearly 100 yards rushing. Add in coming back from 15 down twice and going 13 for 13 for 170 yards in the 4th quarter with the game and a potential playoff spot on the line. As close to perfect as a QB could be and completely responsible for the big comeback win. Along with Darnold's game last year - two of the best QB performances I can recall.

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Will be interesting to see who Shanahan believes will be the best fit for his offense. 

Cousins?

I'm actually torn. Part of me wants a great, young QB who can lead the franchise for a decade or more.  Part of me knows that we need guys at positions all over the roster and thinks we should trade down and try to fill as many of those spots as possible.  Let's say for instance we end up picking at 2 and the Giants at 5 or 6.  If there's a QB there that they want it's not inconceivable to ask for their first and second this year plus at least their first next year. That would give us pick 5 or 6 in both the first and second, plus the second pick in the second, plus the extra pick we have in the second, and still give us two firsts in 2019.  That's a lot of draft capital for a team that needs a complete re-build.

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I cant get over how over analyzed Deshaun Watson was by everyone(inluding myself). 

His performances are forcing me to lean in favor of Lamar Jackson over Cousins, does it make sense to have both Jackson(Rosen) and Cousins?  

No, I don't think that it does. 

All draft eligible quarterbacks are over analyzed. That's what happens. They get nitpicked to death. We will see if Watson has long term sustainability. I can't buy Watson as a stud until next year at the earliest.  We've seen flash in the pans like this before. Well, not exactly like this, but you know what I mean.

As for rookie v Cousins...there are pros and cons both ways. Either way really makes sense. 

29 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Cousins?

I'm actually torn. Part of me wants a great, young QB who can lead the franchise for a decade or more.  Part of me knows that we need guys at positions all over the roster and thinks we should trade down and try to fill as many of those spots as possible.  Let's say for instance we end up picking at 2 and the Giants at 5 or 6.  If there's a QB there that they want it's not inconceivable to ask for their first and second this year plus at least their first next year. That would give us pick 5 or 6 in both the first and second, plus the second pick in the second, plus the extra pick we have in the second, and still give us two firsts in 2019.  That's a lot of draft capital for a team that needs a complete re-build.

If it means anything, Steve Young wasn't a full time starter until he was about 30. Played a solid 8 years or so. If we could get six quality years out of Cousins I'd be happy.

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, I don't think that it does. 

All draft eligible quarterbacks are over analyzed. That's what happens. They get nitpicked to death. We will see if Watson has long term sustainability. I can't buy Watson as a stud until next year at the earliest.  We've seen flash in the pans like this before. Well, not exactly like this, but you know what I mean.

As for rookie v Cousins...there are pros and cons both ways. Either way really makes sense. 

Watson is the real deal bro 

“I’ll tell you,” Sherman said. “‘You played the best game any quarterback has ever played against us, and we’ve played all the legends. I respect how you hung in there and kept battling and battling.’” -per MMQB

40 minutes ago, Forge said:

So was RG3...so was Kaepernick....

You haven't heard? Kaepernick should still be a starter in this league according to twitter. 

I see a difference but those are fair comps. RG3 i still think could have been a great QB dude is just made of glass and had a different style of play that put him in bad situations.  

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

You haven't heard? Kaepernick should still be a starter in this league according to twitter. 

I see a difference but those are fair comps. RG3 i still think could have been a great QB dude is just made of glass and had a different style of play that put him in bad situations.  

And just so we are clear - this isn't me hating on Watson. I do this to everyone. After OBJ had that monster rookie year, I wouldn't put him in the top 5 receivers heading into the next season. I just want to see longevity for everyone... - particularly important on quarterbacks because as we have seen in the past, the second season can be way more telling than the first. I mean, Carr and Goff are pretty awful in year 1 (and even Wentz after those killer first couple of games), yet look at them now. Meanwhile, RG3 has a monster rookie season, Kaep nearly wins a superbowl (obviously, second season, but first really playing), and look at them now. Winston and Mariota really haven't progressed a whole ton in their time, and I think that it's fair to wonder at some point whether or not those two guys basically are what they are. So I'm definitely not trying to discount Watson in any way shape or form...what he has been doing this year is as impressive as all get out and he's been flat out amazing this season. So for this season, he's certainly one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, and I think that if he keeps this up, he needs to be a viable MVP candidate if the Texans perform well. So I'm strictly talking about his long term viability / sustainability, and not being willing to put him on the same level as some of these other guys that have been doing this for a few years. 

So according to Matt Miller, we really like Sam Darnold. Who knows if he will declare as there has been a lot of talk of him returning to school. But what I'm curious about is if Shanny will want the prototypical QB or give Jackson/Mayfield a shot. If I had to guess, he probably still rates the likes of Darnold/Rosen/Allen/etc higher.

58 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So according to Matt Miller, we really like Sam Darnold. Who knows if he will declare as there has been a lot of talk of him returning to school. But what I'm curious about is if Shanny will want the prototypical QB or give Jackson/Mayfield a shot. If I had to guess, he probably still rates the likes of Darnold/Rosen/Allen/etc higher.

Yeah, I posted that earlier. I think he would lean toward traditional pocket guys, though it was said that back in 2012, he loved Wilson. Maybe that was an isolated incident because of Wilson's headiness and the like, as he does seem to prefer his pocket guys over the athletes, but definitely not something I'd rule out. But yeah, I'd guess that he still prefers Darnold and Rosen (honestly, Allen may even fall into the no camp)

It's funny because his play action game would be so much more lethal with a guy like Jackson/Mayfield running it. But he wants QBs who could make good decisions and be accurate in the intermediate/deep area. Aside from playing style, do you think Darnold is a smarter QB than the two I listed? 

Archived