2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

At this point after acquiring Jimmy G I'm all for the trade down, obviously, and acquiring more picks. Maybe another 2nd this year and next with a mid rounder in this year. I don't want to drop down too low though as I still want a top end talent. Id love to see Fitzpatrick added with our 1st, then a WR and pass rusher in the 2nd, maybe a Cobbs and Hubbard for example. Maybe some OL, CB/S and LB depth worth having in the middle rounds. But for the most part I'd like to see us fix the OL and secondary issues with known quantities through FA. OL coming into the NFL seem to be less and less ready to make the jump whether that be because of college schemes or whatever is, it just doesn't seem like guys are of draft, plug and play quality anymore. With that being said I definitely want some young depth added in the middle rounds as I said earlier but I'm hoping we use some more of our cap room on impact FAs and less on minimal role playing guys. 

21 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Runningback

That's probably the only position I wouldn't look at this year.  Hyde is good and will look a lot better playing behind a better line and with a QB and passing game that can open up the running game.  Breida shows a lot of promise, and we've still got Joe Williams coming off IR next season.  O-line, CB, Edge, FS, WR - all higher priorities for me than RB.  Even LB and TE would come ahead of RB for me.

21 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd still be pretty shocked if Shanny went that route. He seems like a scheme is more important than talent type of guy at that position. But Barkley is the best player in this draft, so I wouldn't hate that move, though without a line, he's not going to do much. If you need evidence, just look at what happened against OSU. 

Another minority of one ranking for me, but I don't think Barkley will be ":special" in the NFL.  He's good and I like  him a lot.  But I don't see him as the equivalent of Fournette or Elliott, not even close.

7 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

bro you gotta watch Barkley...

and if we dont resign Hyde we will need a runningback pretty bad. Teams have had recent success drafting a RB super early with Fournette, Gurley, Zeke

I did watch him last week.  One 36 yard run and 20 more runs for a grand total of 8 yards.  That's really the only good defense his faced all year and they absolutely stifled all day except for one run. He had a good game against Akron - who cares.  He did have that great game against Iowa.  Again outside of those two games, oen against a nobody, he's been reltively ordinary. I mean good, maybe very good.  But the kind of back you take at the bottom end of the first or top of the second.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

At this point after acquiring Jimmy G I'm all for the trade down, obviously, and acquiring more picks. Maybe another 2nd this year and next with a mid rounder in this year. I don't want to drop down too low though as I still want a top end talent. Id love to see Fitzpatrick added with our 1st, then a WR and pass rusher in the 2nd, maybe a Cobbs and Hubbard for example. Maybe some OL, CB/S and LB depth worth having in the middle rounds. But for the most part I'd like to see us fix the OL and secondary issues with known quantities through FA. OL coming into the NFL seem to be less and less ready to make the jump whether that be because of college schemes or whatever is, it just doesn't seem like guys are of draft, plug and play quality anymore. With that being said I definitely want some young depth added in the middle rounds as I said earlier but I'm hoping we use some more of our cap room on impact FAs and less on minimal role playing guys. 

If we trade down from a presumed #2 spot we should be getting way more than a second and a mid rounder. We should be hauling in multiple first rounders. A lot of teams are going to want one of these shiny new QB's and need to milk them for every pick we can. 

1 minute ago, Geek said:

If we trade down from a presumed #2 spot we should be getting way more than a second and a mid rounder. We should be hauling in multiple first rounders. A lot of teams are going to want one of these shiny new QB's and need to milk them for every pick we can. 

I posted this in the other thread about Jimmy G, but the Eagles went from #8 to #2 to draft a quarterback and gave up: #8, #77, #100, following year first, and a second two years down the line. I'm really good with a return like that. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I posted this in the other thread about Jimmy G, but the Eagles went from #8 to #2 to draft a quarterback and gave up: #8, #77, #100, following year first, and a second two years down the line. I'm really good with a return like that. 

Exactly, I wasnt necessarily saying that's all I'd ask for but was betting low with the two 2nds and a mid round along with their 1st. If we got a haul like the Eagles gave up I'd be very happy. And at 8, or somewhere around there, there should be some OL, pass rushers and secondary help still available. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be fine with that, it's a pretty decent get. I'd probably ask them to tack on another 2nd or 3rd  somewhere in there. But I'd really be slamming the table for at least 2 first rounders then let all the other teams fight it out over who would give us the most picks on top of that. 

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

We need way more than OL depth. We need 2 (well, truthfully 3, but I'll give Garnett a shot next year) starter on the interior at the very least. There's not a whole lot in the free agent market in that regard. Nothing much in the guard market - DJ Fluker? Pass. Luke Joeckel? I mean, it's a graveyard of offensive line play. Jonathan Cooper? Justin Pugh may be the best. There are slightly more serviceable centers available, so I wouldn't mind going that route for the center position. Ryan Jensen has played really well this year. Weston Richburg isn't awful the last time I checked. 

Also, the plug and play hasn't really changed much. I mean, this was a down year for offensive line, Ryan Ramczyk is coming in and playing at a near all pro level. Jack Conklin the year before. Laremy Tunsil was solid his rookie year - not sure if he''s been bad this year.  Ronnie Stanley is already very, very good. Zach Martin came in and was nearly an all pro, same with Frederick. Tyron Smith as well. Taylor Decker came in and stole the left tackle spot from Riley Reiff, and has been good from what I understand. So it all really just depends on the players. There's nothing that has changed though... I really think that's a narrative that some people have tried to push, but statistically, there's not much difference between offensive lines now and 15 years ago. This is a dynamite draft for the interior line though, which is really what we need. So I'm all for trading down and grabbing nelson. If we trade down and grab another early second, I wouldn't mind waiting for that pick to grab Billy Price. 

@Forge since you're pimping the lineman, who should I watch?

@48 1/2ers So I watched a bunch of Barkley tape a few hours ago. I'll say this, this dude is the truth. That being said I still am really against using a top 5 pick on a running back. It seems every year you can find a fantastic running back in the later rounds like my boy Kareem Hunt. On top of that, the line and edge are wayyyyyy more pressing needs. Jimmy is going to get killed back there next year if we don't throw at least a high pick and a proven FA into the mix next year. And this defense will never get to the next level without a true edge rushing threat. If we pass on a running back worst that could happen is Breida starting which would certainly not be the worst thing in the world. It's kinda weird because I'm almost always a BPA type of guy, but I just can't wrap my head around picking a running back that high.

@Forge I was only referring to the depth mid round picks as purely depth haha. I don't think I made it all that clear but I want atleast two new starters along the interior part of our OL. I just prefer we get them through FA, guys that have proven to play well in the NFL. The mid rounders are then added depth. 

With the plug and play OL there are some admittedly I forgot about cause of injury such as Stanley and Decker, and some I was just ignorant and wasn't sure how they were playing but Ramcyzck and Conklin. But the Cowboys OL that you mentioned were from 5 or more years ago I believe. Tunsil, for how highly touted he was coming out hasn't been anything great since moving to LT, that one I know about cause I have Ajayi on a lot of fantasy teams and have watched a handful of Dolphin games. I was speaking more recently like the past 2-3 years though. But again, I forgot a couple names that you mentioned, maybe that is because last years OL class and the year before have been somewhat disappointing. Maybe Garnett has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not sure what it is that has me feeling that way but none the less I'd like to go out and sign a new C and OG during FA, or trade for one if need be (I'm looking at you Armstead). 

Next years FA market for OG does include Shawn Lauvao, Justin Pugh, Jahri Evans (both a little older but better than what we have), Andre Smith, Andrew Norwell, Jack Mewhort, John Greco, Matt Slauson, Chris Hubbard, Xavier Su'a Filo. No one who is gonna need huge money contracts either but plenty of better options than what we field every Sunday. 

Theres still a part of me who hopes Tomlinson or Garnett can claim one of those spots. And I will admit, Quenton Nelson would be great get for us to be a stalwart in the interior part of our OL.

I dont think we dont need an oline but to me that doesnt directly translate to using a top 10 pick on a guy. 

last thing I'll say for now about Barkley is that theres not much doubt in my mind (dating back to the first time I watched him in his first game as a freshman) that he's going to be a sure fire stud at the next level and that should have its own value added that is especially rare. Of course the options available to us via trade ups should be taken very seriously, If we end up with the #1 overall pick I wouldnt want us to pick him because of all the draft capital we would have lost out on by not trading for a QB needy team but if we traded back to say #7 and gained a future top draft asset then i'll be happy. It's more complicated than me saying I think Barkley is the guy we should pick but if the draft were tomorrow and I had to choose anyone it'd be him over anyone. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Depends on what you think of Joe Williams, with regards to how badly we need one. I'm a believer that Breida is a competent running back, and I like him in that regard. I think he has a future as at least a solid running back. 

The tricky part with Barkley is simply usage. If Shanny is throwing it 60% of the time, and splitting the carries between two backs, that really cuts into Barkley's value for us. So hopefully, if we went that route, Shanny adjusts. I'd like to see more 55/45 split at that point with regards to passes/runs, and maybe a 70/30 split in terms of running back carries in favor of Barkley, which i don't think will be an issue (I think Freeman / Coleman had a similar split last year). But Barkley only goes so far as that offensive line, so it's really an order of preference. 

That's the thing for me too. Shanny loves his passing game and likes to use his RBs there too, you really don't need to spend a high draft pick on a guy when you're not really using him that much. Even if he is a top top talent. Won't complain if we get him and adjust the offense but I think that's really unlikely.

I'd like to go for the top T available and play him at G for a season before replacing Staley while also adding a C(there is no way Kilgore should be here next season). And the other G spot one of Tomlinson or Garnett. 

I'd also agree with @Forge 's assessment that great OL talent is far more rare than great Edge talent so if this class of T and interior linemen really turns out to be as good as it's being touted then I'd definitely go that way. We may still be able to find someone who has his flaws against the run but is still very useful to rush the passer on passing downs later.

Archived