2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

On 11/6/2017 at 1:29 PM, big9erfan said:

Do you really enjoy watching that kind of game?  Honestly, I don't. No matter who is playing that kind of game.  I'd rather a nice 28-24 game anytime rather than 65-56.

For instance I enjoyed watching the Oklahoma/TCU game yesterday.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I think Oklahoma might be the best team in the country.  Still not a believer in Miami and I think OU just might be able to handle Alabama.  I think they match up well against them.

Their defense is too bad to be the best team in the country. Certainly will have a shot with Mayfield, but think Alabama is better.

Clemson vs Miami is going to tell us a lot about just how good the Canes are.

19 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Their defense is too bad to be the best team in the country. Certainly will have a shot with Mayfield, but think Alabama is better.

Clemson vs Miami is going to tell us a lot about just how good the Canes are.

Did you watch the TCU/OU game?! Defenses are overlooked in the Big 12 due to the high powered offenses...doesn't mean they aren't there. Dictated the game to both Ohio State and TCU due to the D dominating those O's. At other times during the year, our run pluggers were out, injured. They are back!

As a Sooner, I have no fear of Bama. The SEC is down as a conference this year, so I think those in the Big 12, Big 10 and even the PAC 12 may have had tougher schedules over all.

And they just added more fuel to Mayfield's fire! Getting leapfrogged by Miami? Sure, Miami is undefeated...in an extremely weak conference. Sure, they beat ND...but how good is ND, really?

There may not be a D that can stop the Sooner O. Best in the nation. Mayfield's QBR against the blitz is 200. He WANTS teams to blitz so he can attack the area of the field left vulnerable by the blitzer(s).

If Oklahoma wins out it's a lock for the playoffs. If it loses it's title game it should be out.  If Clemson and Miami win until their conference title game then the loser of that game should be out. Likewise if Wisconsin and OSU win until their conference title game then the loser of that game should be out. Same with Alabama and Georgia  if they meet in a title game - loser should be out.  This latter will tick off Alabama fans who think it's their god-given right for Alabama to be in the playoffs, but conference title tames ought to be considered similar to the first round of an 8-team playoff.  They should be elimination games. Sure Alabama might still be one of the 4 best teams in the country.  But if they happened to play Georgia in an 8-team playoff and lost no one would be suggesting that they move on instead of one of the 4 teams that won in the first round. Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Miami, Wisonsin, OSU and Oklahoma should all be eliminated if they fail to win their conference title game. Winner isn't necessarily in since there is still ND to consider and maybe the PAC 10 winner.  So conference title games are not "play-in" games, but they should definitely be elimination games.

1 hour ago, Knowledge said:

Any elite WRs coming out this year?

Need to get Jimmy some weapons 

Not really, in my opinion. There some good ones. I'm slightly put off by Calvin Ridley's age, but can't deny the skillset. There are a lot of talented undersized guys, and a lot of 1B types, but there's not a Julio or AJ Green level prospect. Obviously, that doesn't mean that they won't end up being that good, but there isn't a guy I'd want to take in the top 5. 

I never thought there would come a day where I really wanted the 49ers to spend a potential top 3 pick (assuming we stay at #3) on a guard, but that's how much I want Nelson. I really think this guy is a plug and play stud on the offensive line. If we can't move down, I really want us to take him regardless of where we are picking (though I do believe at best we are picking #3). 

Somebody posted these in the draft forum to show McGlinchey's struggles against speed guys, and all I could see was Nelson just being amazing. I mean, look at him on these two plays. Absolutely crushing a guy and driving back into the second level on teh first one, and completely stonewalling his defender on the second. He doesn't even look like he's trying on the second one lol. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Not really, in my opinion. There some good ones. I'm slightly put off by Calvin Ridley's age, but can't deny the skillset. There are a lot of talented undersized guys, and a lot of 1B types, but there's not a Julio or AJ Green level prospect. Obviously, that doesn't mean that they won't end up being that good, but there isn't a guy I'd want to take in the top 5. 

Yea I like Ridley probably the most, he won’t be any older than Kupp was coming out and I’ve been a huge Kupp guy since minute go, so his age doesn’t bother as much but I’m not sure he’s top 5 quality. There’s a bunch of “second tier” guys as I’ve called them. As @Forge said, doesn’t mean these guys can’t become superstars in the NFL but as prospects they don’t quite carry that “top prospect” label. I like Christian Kirk from TAMU a lot though, he reminds me a lot Golden Tate with a little OBJ. Anthony Miller from Memphis and Cam Phillips from VT have a little Steffon Diggs in their game to me. James Washington from OKST is in intriguing as well. But mainly I’ve been focusing on the bigger WRs, Courtland Sutton, SMU; Simmie Cobbs, IND; Marcell Ateman, OKST; Allen Lazard, ISU; Auden Tate, FSU; David Sills, WVU;  Jaleel Scott, NMSU; Cedric Wilson, BOISE ST. Most should be available after the 2nd round on as well so plenty to choose from for us outside the 1st round.

Simmie Cobbs, Jr. is the WR I want. His QBs are pretty horrendous, but what he does is just great. Michael Gallup from CSU is the other guy. 

But it would make a ton of sense for Cobbs to return for his senior year due to poor numbers outside of his control. He went from a fringe first to falling to the late 2nd/early 3rd in predictions. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I never thought there would come a day where I really wanted the 49ers to spend a potential top 3 pick (assuming we stay at #3) on a guard, but that's how much I want Nelson. I really think this guy is a plug and play stud on the offensive line. If we can't move down, I really want us to take him regardless of where we are picking (though I do believe at best we are picking #3). 

Somebody posted these in the draft forum to show McGlinchey's struggles against speed guys, and all I could see was Nelson just being amazing. I mean, look at him on these two plays. Absolutely crushing a guy and driving back into the second level on teh first one, and completely stonewalling his defender on the second. He doesn't even look like he's trying on the second one lol. 

Awesome highlights.  Not sure about picking him aty 3 but would be a really nice pick if we happend to win another game or two. and end up aroun 6 to 8.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Awesome highlights.  Not sure about picking him aty 3 but would be a really nice pick if we happend to win another game or two. and end up aroun 6 to 8.

I feel like he's definitely going top 10, so while my preference would be to move down slightly and get him at that 6-8 range at possible (if we are #3), which would net us that second we lost for Jimmy G, and get the guy I want, I'd be super stoked. But as you said, we could end up picking in that 6 range anyway. There are a few winnable games still left on the schedule. I don't think any of us would be super surprised if we end up at 4 wins, which is what a lot of us had the team pegged for at the start anyway. If we get 4, we could certainly pick around #6, and at that point, I'm definitely all about Nelson. But if we are at 3 and can't move down, I'm happy to take him there. If he's a legit top 10 prospect (and he's probably going to be in my top 6 or 7), then I'm fine with grabbing him at 3. 

Since I'm one of those that actually rate interior OL higher than tackle play, I wouldn't mind taking Nelson that high. Our offense is going to stay inconsistent until that improves. Tomlinson is bad, Kilgore isn't much better and Fusco is just solid. 

Still though, all in on Chubb/Key.

Archived