2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

I'm not in on Fitzpatrick. I'll pass there. Plus, I think we are solid at the safety position even with Reid's free agency on tap. Not saying I wouldn't want to upgrade at FS if we can, but just not in the top 10.

I would have no beef taking Nelson in the first round. That would make our OL legitimately solid which is an upgrade over what it is now. Another upgrade at C or Garnett taking the other guard spot and playing well, then we will have a pretty damn good OL. That will be the quickest way to turn this team around along with Jimmy G being good.

I hear the critiques for Chubb, but I don't care. Been a big fan of his all season. Unlike Thomas, he has been winning on the edge. Thomas was a freak from the interior and that's where he did most of his damage in the passing game. That's not same as Chubb, though the body types may be somewhat similar. 

But healthy Arden Key would do as well. 

Right now I want Nelson or Chubb the most. From there I'll be fine with guys like Key.

If we trade down, then Ferrell becomes a target in the mid-teens.

I may be in the minority, but I'm still a fan of Derwin James. Don't think he has played as bad as some think and he has some serious potential. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not in on Fitzpatrick. I'll pass there. Plus, I think we are solid at the safety position even with Reid's free agency on tap. Not saying I wouldn't want to upgrade at FS if we can, but just not in the top 10.

I would have no beef taking Nelson in the first round. That would make our OL legitimately solid which is an upgrade over what it is now. Another upgrade at C or Garnett taking the other guard spot and playing well, then we will have a pretty damn good OL. That will be the quickest way to turn this team around along with Jimmy G being good.

I hear the critiques for Chubb, but I don't care. Been a big fan of his all season. Unlike Thomas, he has been winning on the edge. Thomas was a freak from the interior and that's where he did most of his damage in the passing game. That's not same as Chubb, though the body types may be somewhat similar. 

But healthy Arden Key would do as well. 

Right now I want Nelson or Chubb the most. From there I'll be fine with guys like Key.

If we trade down, then Ferrell becomes a target in the mid-teens.

I may be in the minority, but I'm still a fan of Derwin James. Don't think he has played as bad as some think and he has some serious potential. 

I was actually thinking Fitzpatrick at corner. Granted, alabama corners haven't had the greatest time transitioning to the next level, but I think that kid is legit and will find a spot somewhere in a starting defense. 

@Forge I definitely agree with the sentiment that interior is a massive weakness for us. And it's strange because Fusco has exceeded expectations, Brown and Staley are still very good book ends, but our bad is SO bad. Kilgore and Tomlinson are just awful. Beadles shouldn't even be on a roster. And I do think Nelson is an elite prospect, that Blitz pickup gave me a Chubb (heh), so if we went top 10 with him I wouldn't hate it but I still think top 3 would be too much. Does he have the ability to play tackle? If so, that could probably change my mind. 

Even if that's not his intended position, if he has the ability to swing, that's a huge deal. And I think @J-ALL-DAY point about having an elite interior lineman given our conference foes is also a great point, especially as it pertains to Nelsons value to us  in the draft. I think Martin, Prime Iuapati, and Decastro are proof that picking a guard  in the first round is not an overdraft. I certainly don't sit on the philosophy that Guards, RB's and Safeties should never be drafted in the first.  So I'd have no problem picking him top ten, but my arbitrary bias is against the thought of picking up a guard top 3. If you pick him that high he better damn well be on a HOF path. 

With that said, i think we're going to be able to trade back and still grab him top ten. Denver, San Diego, NYJ and probably  someone else will want to leap frog into the top 3 to grab their QB or Barkley (could see Cleveland trying to pull this off). 

4 hours ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I know QB is what we think teams will trade up for if we are at 2 or 3.  But what about the possibility of a Chicago or Tampa Bay trading up a few spots to get an OT opening the door to get more picks AND Nelson?

Is there a great OT coming out this year?

16 hours ago, Forge said:

Great? Meh...I wouldn't say that, but there are guys who have legit shots to go top 10 

That's what I thought.  Maybe a bad year for OTs. Some years there are OTs going at or very near the top of the draft and 2 or 3 going in the top 10.  This year it's iffy whether there's even one that will go top 10. Been watching line play for ND the last two games.  McGlinchey looks solid, but he also looks far from a future NFL pro bowler to me. Nelson, though, as you've touted in the past, looks like a can't miss.

FWIW I also like that St. Brown guy.  He hardly ever gets any stats, but he always looks good to me.  Not sure what to make of a guy playing in an offense where they can't or don't throw the ball, but whose skills look really good.

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Eli benched for Geno Smith. Like there's a zero percent chance they don't take a QB with their first pick right? 

Yep, which is why that second pick is so vital. We have a lot of power at that slot with the Giants so clearly leaning in that direction. Some of our suitors may be out (I could see Denver making a play for Alex Smith or Eli given the roster can win now, Jacksonville as well), but I still think if we stay there, we get a nice haul for that pick. 

Archived