2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's funny because his play action game would be so much more lethal with a guy like Jackson/Mayfield running it. But he wants QBs who could make good decisions and be accurate in the intermediate/deep area. Aside from playing style, do you think Darnold is a smarter QB than the two I listed? 

Was Shanny against drafting RG3? I havent seen that, I just know he stood on the table for Cousins. 

I'm super biased and think Lamar Jackson is the smartest, most creative, best arm QB in the draft. I dont know what Darnolds defining characteristic is and i've watched him quite a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Geek said:

Soooooo Edge or lineman first?

Lineman. I think the linemen available are better than the edge players. There are legit elite offensive linemen available, and truthfully, I Think that's becoming more rare than edge rushers. 

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Runningback

I'd still be pretty shocked if Shanny went that route. He seems like a scheme is more important than talent type of guy at that position. But Barkley is the best player in this draft, so I wouldn't hate that move, though without a line, he's not going to do much. If you need evidence, just look at what happened against OSU. 

8 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Knowing we have a franchise QB I expect us to invest very much in our Oline but really we only need 2 guys replaced. 

We really need four guys replaced, but perhaps one of the four might not be for another year or two max (Staley). 

45 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

We really need four guys replaced, but perhaps one of the four might not be for another year or two max (Staley). 

ehh I can meet you in the middle at 3 but Tomlinson from what I've seen is about average which is fine with me. Plus Garnett still has a shot to contribute so he and Laken i guess could = 1 starter. Staley despite being shaky last week is still a decent tackle, and Trent Brown is our only real positive starter. Receivers need just as much work

12 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Runningback

Bleh, no thanks. I haven't watched Barkley but no matter how good he is, I'd be genuinely upset if we took a RB that high. Admittedly, I haven't dived into anyone but QBs this year but we need some sort of outside pass rush and interior help. Maybe a trade back scenario where we could nab both a pass rusher and a guard.

50 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, apparently Shanahan did not like ANY of the Draft '18 QBs. Instead, we went Garopolo. I like it aside from the fact that it eliminates Mayfield from being a 9er.

Damn, this does make me a little sad....Maybe we take him if he's available in the 3rd???

57 minutes ago, Geek said:

Bleh, no thanks. I haven't watched Barkley but no matter how good he is, I'd be genuinely upset if we took a RB that high. Admittedly, I haven't dived into anyone but QBs this year but we need some sort of outside pass rush and interior help. Maybe a trade back scenario where we could nab both a pass rusher and a guard.

bro you gotta watch Barkley...

and if we dont resign Hyde we will need a runningback pretty bad. Teams have had recent success drafting a RB super early with Fournette, Gurley, Zeke

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

bro you gotta watch Barkley...

and if we dont resign Hyde we will need a runningback pretty bad. Teams have had recent success drafting a RB super early with Fournette, Gurley, Zeke

Depends on what you think of Joe Williams, with regards to how badly we need one. I'm a believer that Breida is a competent running back, and I like him in that regard. I think he has a future as at least a solid running back. 

The tricky part with Barkley is simply usage. If Shanny is throwing it 60% of the time, and splitting the carries between two backs, that really cuts into Barkley's value for us. So hopefully, if we went that route, Shanny adjusts. I'd like to see more 55/45 split at that point with regards to passes/runs, and maybe a 70/30 split in terms of running back carries in favor of Barkley, which i don't think will be an issue (I think Freeman / Coleman had a similar split last year). But Barkley only goes so far as that offensive line, so it's really an order of preference. 

17 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Knowing we have a franchise QB I expect us to invest very much in our Oline but really we only need 2 guys replaced. 

Well...we need starters and quality depth. We have nothing except two decent starting tackles. I hope we hit the draft and free agency market hard for O-line.

I want us to get the best Center, free agent or draft, we can possibly get. And we need a #1 WR still. I can live with that, for the offense. We still need an explosive edge rusher with closing speed. Every week it looks like we need another LB. I guess we'll have Malcolm Smith back next year. Maybe we can get another free agent there. Then the DBs... how could they look like a somewhat promising unit a couple of months ago, and now look like it needs to be almost totally revamped?

Still a lot of work to do. Or we need an amazing offseason.

Archived