2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

2 hours ago, John232 said:

People seem to be pretty down on this draft for LEO/Edge rushers. Harold Landry seems to be the top dog and he's not wowing people. Arden Key has been a let down by all accounts (I haven't watched much CFB so I'm echoing collective pundits) and Harold Landry although getting numbers doesn't look good. Chubb seems to be the best end right now.

However, I agree with you, no interest in trading down if we go Cousins. Add another potential elite piece and dole out for some free agents on top of Cousins. 

I'd like AR15 but not counting on him hitting the market. Demarcus Lawrence would be my top pick so we could then focus on grabbing one of the various top OT prospects and play them at Guard until Staley is gone. 

TIme will tell, but I'm not seeing many elite looking guys in this draft.  In any case if there's a QB there that someone wants we could get a lot just to trade down a few spots.  I don't want to move down a lot either -  from say 2 to 25, but a small move could work out great for us.  Even 2 to 4  or 5 can bring a lot in some drafts. Eagles gave up two firsts, a second, a third and a 4th to move from 8th to 2nd and that was for Wentz.  I think a shot at Rosen or Darnold would bring more than that. There are any number of people here who would never trade a bunch of picks for a shot at a franchise QB.  Well it works in the other direction too, doesn't it.  Doesn't that mean you should always accept a number of picks in exchange for your shot at a QB?  And that's assuming you need one.  It should be an automatic move if you just signed a FA that you foresee as being your franchise QB.

For Arden Key, he was injured in the offseason somehow.  He has only been back a couple of games, I normally watch LSU games as I married a south Louisiana woman and have since moved to the state.  This last game the commentators were saying that he has recently shed 20 pounds.  Just did a little research and after his shoulder surgery he was in rehab for 4 months and has only been cleared to practice for the last 5-6 weeks.

It should be understandable for a slow start, he has began to show more impact in the game.  The upcoming LSU-Bama game should show if he is worth taking towards the top of the first round.

My main concern with him the last couple of years was his size, he looked like a twig man out there and that has changed this year.  He seemed like a twitch speed guy before this year and I was worried that as a prospect that he would not have the power/strength to play at an NFL level.  Now that he has the size I need to see that the still has speed/agility.

Now in the span of like 10 days, I've heard he's coming out and going back lol

Was actually reading through Allbright's tweets. Was really interesting...he certainly doesn't have the most consensus feelings on quarterbacks.  For those who don't know, he's been doing the qb eval thing for a while. Used to post here under the name Reality Check. I vaguely recall him (he introduced me to QB velocity's) but he largely disappeared right when I started getting going. Anyway, in his tweets, he felt like the two biggest quarterbacks that were going to be available were Mayfield (he thinks he'll be the first QB taken) and Jackson. He thinks that Rosen isn't as loved by the scouts as he his by fans/media, but thinks either he or Jackson will be the second quarterback off the board. He considers Rudolph an average quarterback propped up on a system and a day two guy, while he considers Falk a day three guy (agree with those last two) and Jake Browning unlikely to be drafted.  Josh Allen a day 2 guy (says he reminds him a lot of Kyle Boller). Also said that from what he's been told, we are heavily pursuing Cousins if he's available. Dont' think any of us would be shocked by that one. 

Someone mentioned Minkah Fitzpatrick earlier, really like the kid. CB/FS whatever he wants to play it would be adding a much needed play maker in the secondary. At pick number 2 though seems a tad high. So I'd love to trade down to 5-8 and draft from what's there. Landry is a pass rusher through and through and has been a favorite of mine for a while for that aspect only. Derwin James seems to be struggling to make any kind of impact this year, maybe he's still a little unsure about his knee but he doesn't seem to be the difference maker he was his freshman year. Key scares me a bit with the uncertainty prior to the season then the huge weight gain after his early years of actually looking a little slender, wonder what's going on there. Would love to see Barkley in a niner jersey just don't know how effective he'll be behind our terrible OL and very little passing threat. Just some random thoughts for me on posts I read trying to catch up.

2 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Someone mentioned Minkah Fitzpatrick earlier, really like the kid. CB/FS whatever he wants to play it would be adding a much needed play maker in the secondary. At pick number 2 though seems a tad high. So I'd love to trade down to 5-8 and draft from what's there. Landry is a pass rusher through and through and has been a favorite of mine for a while for that aspect only. Derwin James seems to be struggling to make any kind of impact this year, maybe he's still a little unsure about his knee but he doesn't seem to be the difference maker he was his freshman year. Key scares me a bit with the uncertainty prior to the season then the huge weight gain after his early years of actually looking a little slender, wonder what's going on there. Would love to see Barkley in a niner jersey just don't know how effective he'll be behind our terrible OL and very little passing threat. Just some random thoughts for me on posts I read trying to catch up.

I know he was hurt and had surgery. I'm wondering how much that has to do with it. Recovery can definitely lead to some weight gain if you're not careful when you can't work out like you want to. Though even if you can attribute the weight gain to that, it's still somewhat of a concern that it happened. 

I'm starting to wonder if we'll see a lot of quarterbacks go in the first next draft. Like 1999 when Couch, McNown, Culpepper, Smith, and McNabb were all first rounders. The Browns are 49ers are obviously going to be in the hunt. Then there is Eli, Ben, and Rivers who are looking like they could have their successor taken regardless of what those guys decide to do once the season is over. Baltimore is probably stuck with Flacco for another year right? But maybe they get started early? Also Arizona is almost a certainty. Jacksonville needs someone too. Cousins will take one of these teams out the running. However we could still at least see four going early. Darnold potentially staying at USC further clouds the situation though.

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Will Grier QB WVU has been one of college footballs top 5 QBs this year. Florida transfer looks like he's found his niche at West Virginia, keep an eye on him as much as you would Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson. 

I know that I got a stream update on him earlier today about execs starting to like him. Not really a fan.  He's an interesting mid to late round flier guy to me based on his athleticism, but I don't view him anywhere close to the other guys you mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know that I got a stream update on him earlier today about execs starting to like him. Not really a fan.  He's an interesting mid to late round flier guy to me based on his athleticism, but I don't view him anywhere close to the other guys you mentioned. 

Mid round option sounds about right but I mentioned him with those other guys cause he should be taken as a real prospect as much as those guys. He was on nobodys radar at the beginning of the year and now he's getting serious looks. Arm talent is on par with most top guys he just doesnt have the resume but he can make some nice throws in tight windows and puts together W's. 

11 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Mid round option sounds about right but I mentioned him with those other guys cause he should be taken as a real prospect as much as those guys. He was on nobodys radar at the beginning of the year and now he's getting serious looks. Arm talent is on par with most top guys he just doesnt have the resume but he can make some nice throws in tight windows and puts together W's. 

He could definitely be an interesting project type. I wish his arm was more accurate - I don't think that he's a naturally accurate thrower of the football, so that bugs me a little. And of course, there's the PED suspension. Not sure if he comes into the league with a ding already on his record for that or not? 

Archived