2023 GDT Week #18 Da Steelers 9-7 Visit Da Ravens 13-3

just watched AST and he is saying offer Mason $5M for a year to compete for starting job. How do people forget they have been paying mitch $10M to be a scrub?  Why is it that many in the pitt media expect players to want to play for the steelers for much less than they should? I never understood that? Winning the .529 bowl doesn't count either

16 hours ago, DR43 said:

Why does everyone feel OT is a need for the draft? 

What's wrong with Jones on the left and Moore on the right for 2024?

https://x.com/arjunmenon100/status/1742630865598022021?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Because Moore has been one of the worst starting tackles in the league at his more natural position. There is 0 chance we head into 2024 with Moore as a starter at RT.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

just watched AST and he is saying offer Mason $5M for a year to compete for starting job. How do people forget they have been paying mitch $10M to be a scrub?  Why is it that many in the pitt media expect players to want to play for the steelers for much less than they should? I never understood that? Winning the .529 bowl doesn't count either

Trubisky cap hit was only $6 mill this year and the most it would it would be if he played out his deal is $8 mill.

Rudolph has had 2 decent games against bad defenses and is now going against some backups…front offices are not gonna overreact to that.

$5 mill sounds right considering other recent deals like Andy Dalton got and Jarred Stidham for the Broncos got last offseason.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Trubisky cap hit was only $6 mill this year and the most it would it would be if he played out his deal is $8 mill.

Rudolph has had 2 decent games against bad defenses and is now going against some backups…front offices are not gonna overreact to that.

$5 mill sounds right considering other recent deals like Andy Dalton got and Jarred Stidham for the Broncos got last offseason.

the 2 teams we played last are bad by the looks of it despite being in the playoff pic, just bad defence from what I see, but how many teams actually play good defence in the current nfl?

While $5M might seem right, the mitch deal makes it an insult. They paid him much more yet he was really bad. 

19 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Ehh injuries and staying healthy are part of the game and the evaluation for teams and players. 

Wouldnt worry bout that at all tbh. When this team looks in the mirror do they like what they see is all that really matters

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time -- you cannot deny the level of QB play headed our way in 2024 is vastly different than what we hit this year...

And I agree in part to the bold. But the missing part, IMO, is understanding if what's looking back at you compares to your peers. You can be happy with what's looking back, but it doesn't mean you stack up league wide. You can love your Toyota Corolla, but it doesn't mean you can run in the Indy 500.  I think we have lived too long being happy enough with what stares back, at least on offense. At some level you do need to evaluate yourself to keep up with the Jones', and we have lived on another street across town from them for the last two/three years.

I truly hope we are not happy with what's looking back in the mirror at the end of this season on the offensive side of the ball after scoring 30 against two of the worst defenses in the league (currently). I am very concerned that they say Faulkner/Sullivan and Kenny vs Mason is "good enough" because they are happy with themselves instead of where they stack against the league. 

4 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't think it matters as much who the opposing QB is if you can keep them off the field. 

To each their own. 8 of our 9 wins this season have come in one score games and it's 15 of the last 18. Six of those 15 came against back ups, some of the others against Matt Ryan (37), Marcus Mariotta, Watson, post emergency-appendectomy Burrow, Love, Garoppolo, and Geno.

The best QB's we have beaten are Lamar and Stafford- and don't get me wrong, two solid wins. I would have LOVED to have seen the round 2 with a Ravens team with something to play for this year because that team is rolling right now, scoring 30+ in 8 of their last 10 (two of those 30's coming against the 49ers and the Browns). Would have been a very solid gauge. 

I think it's reasonable to assume that some of those outcomes are different against a better slate of QBs, capable of throwing haymaker after haymaker regardless of possession count. 

We have gotten quite a few good breaks in the last two years. Last year we made the mistake of buying that the breaks at the end of the season were improvements worthy of repeating. I do not wish to make the same mistake again when we look in the mirror and be happy with the process we are following. 

A win is a win in the NFL, no matter who it is against. But IMO, this team needs to push for more from the offense, not more of the same. 

• Like 3

The Steelers have been very fortunate this year and last with the talent level of QBs they’ve faced…it’s definitely a factor.

@Dcash4 I fear they may Run it back with Rudolph/kenny and Faulkner as OC….that would be a terrible idea unless  they go all in on offense and conplete rebuilding of the OL and weapons via FA and the draft and then I would at least understand it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

The Steelers have been very fortunate this year and last with the talent level of QBs they’ve faced…it’s definitely a factor.

@Dcash4 I fear they may Run it back with Rudolph/kenny and Faulkner as OC….that would be a terrible idea unless  they go all in on offense and conplete rebuilding of the OL and weapons via FA and the draft and then I would at least understand it.

My biggest fear of it is how we operate. Coordinators get 3 year gigs and we don't fire people. They would NEED to change the way it's structured so they can get out of it if it fails (again). I don't think they will do that. I am not interested in a 3-4 year project. TJ is 30 next year. I don't want to be reassessing the next stages of an offensive change when he will be considering retirement. 

If that's what they wanted to do my fantasy land world would have it being a one year trial with potential for more and Tomlin's contract extension would be tied to it. If it doesn't work, they are all out and we are HC hunting for someone who likely runs the offense. If it does, run it back and extend everyone. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

My biggest fear of it is how we operate. Coordinators get 3 year gigs and we don't fire people. They would NEED to change the way it's structured so they can get out of it if it fails (again). I don't think they will do that. I am not interested in a 3-4 year project. TJ is 30 next year. I don't want to be reassessing the next stages of an offensive change when he will be considering retirement. 

If that's what they wanted to do my fantasy land world would have it being a one year trial with potential for more and Tomlin's contract extension would be tied to it. If it doesn't work, they are all out and we are HC hunting for someone who likely runs the offense. If it does, run it back and extend everyone. 

A lot of people don’t realize he’s at his peak and it only goes downhill from here with Watt.

Ive stated before that I hate this idea but you could try to pay for that proven mid level QB…Cousins is an example….basically just realize you got 3 years of Watt, still the peak years of Minkah and some younger studs like Jones/JPJ/Pickens on rookie contracts.

Basicslly let it ride for 3 years and then press the reset button.

IDK what they’re going to do for QB…however well know by draft day 1 way or the other.

25 minutes ago, AFF said:

They have the best weapons in the NFL. The problem is the interior line and what they have going good is Broderick Jones pulling from the right tackle spot. That kind of thinking with respect to using the weapons you got would lead to better results, if you stick with the qb you got running the show right now.

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I understand what you are saying, but at the same time -- you cannot deny the level of QB play headed our way in 2024 is vastly different than what we hit this year...

You play who you play. Your schedule and the QB as well as other players are beyond your control. We made Bailey Zapper look like Tom Brady for a half. 🙄

The Steelers need to get tough on both of their lines (OL and DL). Dominate up front and you can dictate what teams do as opposed to them taking you out of your game.

And I agree in part to the bold. But the missing part, IMO, is understanding if what's looking back at you compares to your peers.

I agree with you in some regards, but in others, you have to be the best you that you can. I like what the Eagles and 49'ers have done in building their teams and style of play. You can learn and incorporate from that, but the Steelers have some pieces in place to build upon already.

You can be happy with what's looking back, but it doesn't mean you stack up league wide. You can love your Toyota Corolla, but it doesn't mean you can run in the Indy 500. 

A Pick-up truck is great for towing, hauling, and doing other things, but not racing.

You try to race with a Pick-up 🛻 and you can't win the Indy 500. You also can't effectively use an Indy car 🏎️🏎️ to haul. Long winded way to say do what you do well and be who you are regardless of what everyone else is doing. 

I think we have lived too long being happy enough with what stares back, at least on offense.

I don't think anyone has been happy about the offense since early in 2020. We have seen progress this preseason that may have over inflated expectations. The Steelers have weapons: Jalen, Pickens, Muth, Najee, Dionte, and Austin. They need help on the OL (center and RT as I think they move Broderick to LT next year). 

At some level you do need to evaluate yourself to keep up with the Jones', and we have lived on another street across town from them for the last two/three years.

I have no problem with a smash mouth style of football. I agree with you that you need a solid and consistent QB. There are more busy prospects than boom. I think if you fix the OL, you fix the QB issues (not named Mitch). The OL played well and did a solid job of protecting the QB. The successful run game allowed the passing game to open up. They still have not thrown to Muth and Austin much over the past two games.😉

I truly hope we are not happy with what's looking back in the mirror at the end of this season on the offensive side of the ball after scoring 30 against two of the worst defenses in the league (currently).

I don't think anyone believes that the Steelers offense "has arrived" and is playing flawless. Still plenty of room for improvement. Most would be happier if we could get consistent snaps from the center every game.🙄

I am very concerned that they say Faulkner/Sullivan and Kenny vs Mason is "good enough" because they are happy with themselves instead of where they stack against the league. 

I think they remain on staff, but the OC position will be in different hands in 2024. They won't give up on Pickett in 2024, but he will feel the pressure much more. I.E. Honeymoon is over. They will add a veteran to the mix. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

To each their own. 8 of our 9 wins this season have come in one score games and it's 15 of the last 18. Six of those 15 came against back ups, some of the others against Matt Ryan (37), Marcus Mariotta, Watson, post emergency-appendectomy Burrow, Love, Garoppolo, and Geno.

Again I point out no Cam, Minkah, TJ, top threeILB, etc. 

The best QB's we have beaten are Lamar and Stafford- and don't get me wrong, two solid wins. I would have LOVED to have seen the round 2 with a Ravens team with something to play for this year because that team is rolling right now, scoring 30+ in 8 of their last 10 (two of those 30's coming against the 49ers and the Browns). Would have been a very solid gauge. 

It is late for the gauge. We know what this Steelers team is. The hope is that they play well and then will get a chance against a good QB (most likely Tua and the high flying Dolphins). Team had chances earlier to prove some things, but they didn't and Pickett got hurt. 🤕

I think it's reasonable to assume that some of those outcomes are different against a better slate of QBs, capable of throwing haymaker after haymaker regardless of possession count. 

I hear you, but again how is it ifthe Steelers defense is 100% and the OL is playing like they are now. Woulda, could a, shoulda... It is speculation that no one can control. Bottom line is this team is not elite and did quite a bit of underwhelming. 

We have gotten quite a few good breaks in the last two years.

I disagree with that. TJ was out more than 1/2 the year and wasn't anywhere near 100% when he came back. The injuries and other factors.🥴

Last year we made the mistake of buying that the breaks at the end of the season were improvements worthy of repeating. I do not wish to make the same mistake again when we look in the mirror and be happy with the process we are following.

I think the execution was putrid. I said that earlier this season. There is a thin line between success and failure. I would have loved to see how the Jaguars game turns out if Dionte catches that first pass. There are many other examples. Our offense was often in negative down in distance and could never seem to catch up. 

A win is a win in the NFL, no matter who it is against. But IMO, this team needs to push for more from the offense, not more of the same. 

I do agree with you there. There are a lot of ways to improve upon that. One is bringing the playbook and scheme into the 21st century.

14 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

dalvin cook just signed with the ravens. I was hoping to have them have gordon at RB since he fumbles often . 

Dont know his status, but since he cleared waivers he could be on the practice squad.  With the short week, basically one day to practice it seems unlikely he will learn much but I suppose he could get some reps on Saturday (maybe he even returns kicks), still seems a bit of a reach to rush that without the absolute need. 

Sounds like an ideal signing for both sides though for the playoff run. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 6:02 PM, DR43 said:

Why does everyone feel OT is a need for the draft? 

They need a center, right tackle, and IOL depth. 

What's wrong with Jones on the left and Moore on the right for 2024?

Moore is very upgradeable. He is okay, but not a good LT. The team is showing what it can do with good run blocking, QB play, and pass protection. They need to build on that and improve. They looked at the run game late last year and ignored getting a center despite trying to improve at guard. Make the OL dominant and the offense will improve. They have a good core of skill position players.