BDL Discussion Thread 2024

Week 1 FA Additions:

RB/Slot Duece Vaughn 

Vaughn likely isn’t going to be worth the 2 years $501 investment but I decided to throw a dart on the diminutive player to carve out some kind of role on offense. If anything it’s just really funny to possibly have him run behind Spencer Brown/Amarius Mims being nearly impossible to find. 

TE/HBack Tommy Tremble 

A drafted player of ours I considered tagging a 1 year 7th round RFA tag to keep him at 1k for a year but let him go. Threw out a 2 yr $501 bid on him. The idea is bringing back someone who has familiarity with the scheme, coaching, Burrow, etc. to help out early while we bring along two rookies at the position behind Njoku. And while they drafted Ja’Tavion Sanders in Carolina having a new offensive scheme/staff may also provide him new opportunities. 

Week 1 was about being frugal and taking shots on guys who may be able to contribute in limited roles and provide depth. 

• Like 1

I'll move this over here.  The system basically is the same we use except you have to beat the bid how you normally would first, then do the conversion.  For instance for a bid between 5000 and 10000 you beat the original bid by 500, then convert it up and down years.  That way we don't have to reinvent the wheel but make the system work better

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I'll move this over here.  The system basically is the same we use except you have to beat the bid how you normally would first, then do the conversion.  For instance for a bid between 5000 and 10000 you beat the original bid by 500, then convert it up and down years.  That way we don't have to reinvent the wheel but make the system work better

I was always for this and thought it was in the rules already.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Delighted to add Kevin Dotson and return Andre James after a one-year stint with the objectively inferior Anchorage organization.

Go cap dump Cam Jordan on someone 

On 6/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, Scoundrel said:

Week 1 FA Additions:

RB/Slot Duece Vaughn 

Vaughn likely isn’t going to be worth the 2 years $501 investment but I decided to throw a dart on the diminutive player to carve out some kind of role on offense. If anything it’s just really funny to possibly have him run behind Spencer Brown/Amarius Mims being nearly impossible to find. 

TE/HBack Tommy Tremble 

A drafted player of ours I considered tagging a 1 year 7th round RFA tag to keep him at 1k for a year but let him go. Threw out a 2 yr $501 bid on him. The idea is bringing back someone who has familiarity with the scheme, coaching, Burrow, etc. to help out early while we bring along two rookies at the position behind Njoku. And while they drafted Ja’Tavion Sanders in Carolina having a new offensive scheme/staff may also provide him new opportunities. 

Week 1 was about being frugal and taking shots on guys who may be able to contribute in limited roles and provide depth. 

Week 2 FA Addition:

OG Graham Glasgow

Graham was a pickup by us off waivers last season in October when Christian Gonzalez went on IR. He started the last 5 games for us including the playoffs and brought a really nice stability inside. He played well in Detroit and earned himself a nice contract. We are happy to bring back a player with familiarity with our scheme and line mates (playing between Andrew Thomas and Frank Ragnow) who can hit the ground running at Left Guard for us. 

• Like 3

Raleigh Offensive Free Agent Round-up

QB

The goal: Find a significant upgrade as short term bridge QB while I see how young QB's develop

The addition: Matthew Stafford

As long as Stafford is healthy, he is a top 10 QB. He has had some injury and retirement scares over the last couple years but last year was a strong return to form. Assuming health, I should have a QB that puts me in the conversation in almost any matchup.

RB

The goal: Find an NFL starting RB at a relatively cheap contract that can back up McCaffrey

The addition: Zack Moss

Moss took full advantage of his opportunity when Taylor was out last year and the the Bengals immediately went out and got him this offseason and shipped off Joe Mixon. Moss should be a high floor RB that should be a nice compliment to McCaffrey in my game plans.

OL

The goal: to build cheap depth with upside to prevent from over paying in the tank

The additions:

Ben Cleveland

Cleveland got his opportunity to start last year after Zeitler's injury and played pretty well. The Ravens felt comfortable enough to let Zeitler go and hand the starting RG job over to him. Getting an NFL starter for $610 to backup my starters felt like a nice get.

Mekhi Becton 

Targeting Becton made sense for my team in particular for a couple of reasons. 1) He is the direct backup to my starting LT in Jordan Mailata  2) He is working as the Eagles' swing tackle so he is also Lane Johnson's backup who tends to get banged up at this point in his career and miss a couple games, so he adds depth at RT too 3) in mini-camps he also was with the starting team at Guard when Dickerson missed practice. If Tyler Steen struggles in TC, the player on the Eagles' roster that is most likely takes his job is Becton, so he could give me T/G depth versatility.  4) Eagles homerism: Jeff Stoutland is probably the best OL coach in the league, and the Eagles clearly see a significant role for him. If there is someone that could get the most out of his physical gifts and give me a steal at a cheap price its Stoutland. Go Birds

Hijalte Frodholdt 

After a rocky start to his career where he bounced around a few teams, Frodholdt earned the starting Center job for the Cardinals and by all accounts played very well. He has retained the starting job through the offseason when the Cards added significant upgrades to Guard and Tackle but not Center. At the end of the BDL regular season, I felt very confident in my center situation because Connor Williams was playing so well, then of course he gets a significant knee injury, because, of course he does. I wanted to leave the door open for a year to see how he recovers and see if he can regain form, so I didn't want to lock myself into a 2nd significant center contract, but also didn't want to leave free agency without a startable asset at Center. Frodholdt seemed like the best mix of price and play.

• Like 2