BDL Discussion Thread 2024

Posted (edited)

Atlanta can actually get out of the Cousins Deal after 2 years reasonably. Leaving behind only like $25M in dead cap which will be peanuts in 3 years.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 2

Rome Eternals

Offseason needs : QBRB, WR, OT, OG, INT, LB, FS 

Cap space remaining: $31,347

Roster spots remaining: 17

What they did so far:

1.    Resign Herbert

Rome had a big investment to make on Herbert this offseason and they did so by giving him a 6 year extension. While this may seem like an obvious decision, Herbert was one of the responsible parties for Rome disappointing exit in the playoffs last offseason so he will have to show he is worth this kind of contract.

2.    Beefed up the offensive line

With Tyrion Smith, Chris Lindstrom and Mike Onwenu becoming free agents, Ryan Ramsczyk career being maybe over, and with Terron Armstead availability always a question mark, Rome had to make some moves on the offensive line this offseason. And that they did. First they drafted Troy Fautanu in the second round and got their LT of the future. Then they traded for Lane Johnson to give themselves a starting RT for the year. And finally they 3 upped Chris Lindstrom, giving them a solid starting OL with depth at tackle and center already there.

3. Made a questionnable 3up in Swift

The most surprising, and questionnable, move made by Rome thus far is probably the Swift 3up. After a fairly disappointing 2nd part of the year I expected Swift to hit the market and be a free agent of interest for RB needy teams but Rome went ahead and 3upped him. On one hand, it does fill the hole that would have been created by Swift departure. On the other hand I don't think Swift would have got 6K/year in the market so this might be an overpay, but we will never know.

What remains to be done:

1.    Find interior defensive linemen

Probably the weakest part of this Rome team the last few years has been the interior DL. While they have rotated OK players, they have always lacked a dominant player inside. I don't know if they have the cap space to sign Wilkins (probably not), but they should aim at getting at least one guy who is a better fit than Denico Autry, who they've had for the last couple of years but who's more of an EDGE/passing down INT now.

FA fit: Javon Hargrave

2.    Find a LB

Rome has three LBs on roster, including Bryce Huff who's an EDGE, and the unproven Trenton Simpson. Nick Bolton is good but he needs a partner in the middle of the defense, and that is the other big need of that Rome team. With 31K of cap and really only two major holes on their starting roster, they can aim at the top of the LB pool to find the guy they want - but Rome has a tendency to resign their own guys, so that might be in play here again.

FA fit: Matt Milano

3.    Upgrade at WR

Rome has a deep WR room. But I don't know if it's a great one. Cooper is a low-end #1. Waddle is ok as a #2 but he's often injured. Rome has the chance of having the players to line up in a 12 personnel, but if they want to go 11 they have to rely on Josh Palmer or Khalil Shakir as a #3. Not of which is dire, but I would definitely use the money they have to add someone else in this WR room if they can.

FA fit: Keenan Allen

Final assessment:

At the beginning of these I singled out Anchorage, Berlin and Cancun as the three main favorites for the year. It might be unfair to Rome as they have, by all accounts, one of the most complete teams in BDL. They have a couple of holes here and there: INT, LB, G depth, S depth - but with 31K of cap, they have more than enough to tackle those. The big question is: do they have the star power on their roster to actually win a title? You can win a title with Herbert. You can win a title with Cooper/Waddle/Musgrave/Kincaid as your top 4 weapons. You can win a title with this defense. But are all of those combined enough? Last year it wasn't, and I don't know if there's much Rome can do in free agency to tackle that question. So their challenge this summer is to fill the holes they have, maybe add one great WR in the fold if the market allows it, and hope Herbert (most likely) takes a step forward.

@bcb1213

Next up: A team that actually relocated in an Arctic place we can spell

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

"First they drafted Troy Fautanu in the second round and got their LT of the future."

It's still early and this may very well be the case, but Fautanu has been exclusively a right tackle in OTAs while Jones has gotten snaps at both spots. While I don't think Pittsburgh really believes Dan Moore is one of their top two tackles, veteran deference may very well mean neither of them is starting at left tackle and only one has a starting job at all.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

Finished my first pass at putting the players into the buckets. I'd like to throw out who I have listed as "Cornerstones". I'm interested to hear the arguments of who I am missing and who I am too high on

CORNERSTONES

QB- Joe Burrow, Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert

RB- Christian McCaffrey, Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb (if healthy), Saquan Barkley

WR- Brandon Aiyuk, DK Metcalf, Tyreek Hill, Ceedee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Ja'Marr Chase, Deebo Samuel, Mike Evans, AJ Brown, Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson

TE- Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, George Kittle

OT- Andrew Thomas, Tristian Wirfs, Kolton Miller, Laremy Tunsil, Christian Darrisaw, Rashawn Slater, Trent Williams, Penei Sewell, Jordan Mailata, Lane Johnson

OG- Tyler Smith, Chris Lindstrom, Landon Dickerson, Joe Thuney, Quinton Nelson, Zack Martin

C- Tyler Linderbaum, Creed Humphrey

EDGE- Rashan Gary, Matthew Judon, Josh Allen, Brian Burns, TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Khalil Mack, Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa, Micah Parsons, Daniele Hunter

DT- Dexter Lawrence, Vita Vea, Derrick Brown, Quinnen Williams, Jonathan Allen, Chris Jones, DeForest Buckner, Kenny Clark, Justin Madubuike, Jeffrey Simmons

LB- Fred Werner, Logan Wilson, Roquan Smith

CB-Jaire Alexander, Trent McDuffie, Sauce Gardner, Patrick Surtain II, Trevon Diggs, Jalen Ramsey, L'Jarius Sneed, Marlon Humphrey, Denzel Ward

S- Kyle Hamilton, Derwin James, Javon Holland, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Kyle Dugger, Antoine Winfield Jr, Jesse Bates

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Judon is not a cornerstone player by a long, long ways, imo.

EDIT: Wait, you put Judon on there but not Montez Sweat or Danielle Hunter? Lol.

Edited by Blue

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

EDIT: Wait, you put Judon on there but not Montez Sweat or Danielle Hunter? Lol.

I had Hunter on my list but forgot to add him. Good catch. 

I don't think Sweat is in that category yet IMO. Judon was a fence player for me for sure of which bucket to place him

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I had Hunter on my list but forgot to add him. Good catch. 

I don't think Sweat is in that category yet IMO. Judon was a fence player for me for sure of which bucket to place him

I would take Sweat over Judon without thinking about it at all. Judon's a solid player with exaggerated numbers from playing in Belichick's scheme imo.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I think Goedert, Hendrickson, and maybe Garrett Wilson belong in cornerstone.  Garrett I could see in the next tier wanting to see another year though.

I really like Goedart but he just doesn't have the production to warrant that Cornerstone status IMO. Hendrickson was a fence player for sure trying to decide where to put him. You are on the nose with Garrett Wilson, he's shown flashes but need to see him to it all together more consistently to really put him in that tier for BDL purposes.

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

I mean, he did have 15 and 12.5 sacks his last two healthy seasons and had 4 in 4 games last year before getting hurt.  It's a tough task in figuring  how many cornerstone vs next level other guys you put in there.  Could you argue for those two yes, also Aidan Hutchinson.  Personally, I think Rashan Gary is below Judon but I think it's all fairly subjective on just the amount of guys you want to put on and what you prefer more from an edge

Just now, SirA1 said:

Jaylon Johnson belongs on the CB list I think. But what do i know.

I kept going back and forth on him. It came down to he was just sort ok for a few years and then he was great this year. I kinda want to see him do it again before I call him a BDL Cornerstone. I think he's an NFL Cornerstone for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I mean, he did have 15 and 12.5 sacks his last two healthy seasons and had 4 in 4 games last year before getting hurt.  It's a tough task in figuring  how many cornerstone vs next level other guys you put in there.  Could you argue for those two yes, also Aidan Hutchinson.  Personally, I think Rashan Gary is below Judon but I think it's all fairly subjective on just the amount of guys you want to put on and what you prefer more from an edge

There's easily a dozen Edge players I would take over Judon with zero discussion and several of them aren't on Pete's list.