Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

49ersfan

Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

• Yes
    • No

5 hours ago, Duluther said:

The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

-Mark Davis, 2022

I think it comes down to who he can get as his OC and will they draft a QB like Penix in round one or go vet route like Fields or Cousins. Raiders roster isn't bad at all. Going 4-4 vs some really good teams with Aidan O'Connell and some random QB coach as your OC has been pretty impressive.

I’m going to say no. Reason why is bc Colin Cowherd said something that I never thought about but makes sense. When was the last time an interim coach of the team stay the coach years later? 

So in the short term yeah Pierce could be the coach but if he isn’t going to be the coach three years from now what’s the point? Go get your next “McVay” or “McDaniel” or “Ryan” and have someone possibly for the next decade plus. 

Not saying Pierce won’t be a good head coach down the road for some other team bc he might. I’m just saying the trend for interim coaches don’t work out for that particular team long run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I’m going to say no. Reason why is bc Colin Cowherd said something that I never thought about but makes sense. When was the last time an interim coach of the team stay the coach years later? 

So in the short term yeah Pierce could be the coach but if he isn’t going to be the coach three years from now what’s the point? Go get your next “McVay” or “McDaniel” or “Ryan” and have someone possibly for the next decade plus. 

Not saying Pierce won’t be a good head coach down the road for some other team bc he might. I’m just saying the trend for interim coaches don’t work out for that particular team long run. 

Is it maybe more of a case where the grass is always greener on the other side rather than using a broad brush to essentially say, as Cowherd seems to be "Nobody else has hired an interim coach long term yet so that shows it won't work"? Teams that have fired a head coach often look to the "hot coaching trees" or coordinators on the top performing teams for that year. It might be harder to see the talent and potential of a coach that is on staff when the head coach is fired. It's almost like they get some of the residual "bad juju" from the experience of the owner firing the head coach.

Edited by nicfre2011

9 hours ago, Duluther said:

No. He's too much of a blue collar, player's coach kind of guy. This works for the short-term "Rah rah" bit, but it won't work for implementing long-term schematics. The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

Like a Josh McDaniels type? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

-Mark Davis, 2022

Problem here was hiring the wrong guy on offense. Literally every other offensive HC hired in 2022 would have been better than McDaniels - McDaniel, Daboll, Pederson & O'Connell. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but the Raiders hired the only objectively bad offensive HC in that cycle. 

Edited by 49ersfan

It depends on who is truly available imo. If you can land Harbaugh (And almost better yet keep him away from the Chargers) you absolutely do so. He is a top tier coach imo. He would also build a pretty incredible coaching staff, which AP would have little ability to due so as he's so new to the NFL coaching circle.

He's done an admirable job and has turned the toxicity around from the JMD era. Lots of the players are having fun again and trying hard. However as others noted, he is so green as an NFL HC and limited in what he can offer long-term. The Oakland ties, the rah-rah vibes, hard nosed nature, etc is all fun and all, sure. But can he scheme at all? Can he build a capable staff? How about player evaluation come the off season? I fear Davis will get Rich B dejavu all over again and hire the fun interim coach this go because he realized he maybe should have done so last cycle.

All in all, absolutely interview him. He's done a very solid job all things considered. But do not pass up better coaches because he turned around an underperforming team while playing with house money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Surely this ought to be enough to just instantly discredit anything that follows, right? The team rallied around Pierce and bought into his messaging, and started to win games. It's a tough choice to turn your back on that and say "thanks, but no thanks".

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

13 hours ago, Duluther said:

No. He's too much of a blue collar, player's coach kind of guy. This works for the short-term "Rah rah" bit, but it won't work for implementing long-term schematics. The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

Couldn’t say it better myself. 

I really don't think so... there's a lot that goes into the job during the offseason that it's impossible to say he's qualified for. Maybe it would work out, and the Raiders should definitely give him a chance to interview, but simply handing him the job due to winning a few regular season games with a roster someone else built & developed would be a mistake.

To be clear - I don't think he shouldn't be even considered for it. On the contrary, he should be given a fair shot

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Duluther said:

I mean... he reminds me of Dan Campbell in that regard (whose interim HC tenure in Miami was also impressive), but yeah, my gut feeling is he needs more experience. This is only his second year coaching in this league, after all.

13 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

And elite DC if he Graham becomes a HC somewhere. Graham has been phenomenal. 

Any intel on why the Raiders didnt offer him the interim gig in the first place (or did he turn it down)? If I'm another team, I'd be hard-pressed to seriously look into hiring a guy whose own team didn't think was potentially HC material (or didn't trust himself to not hurt his coaching stock by potentially failing as an interim coach).

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Any intel on why the Raiders didnt offer him the interim gig in the first place (or did he turn it down)? If I'm another team, I'd be hard-pressed to seriously look into hiring a guy whose own team didn't think was potentially HC material (or didn't trust himself to not hurt his coaching stock by potentially failing as an interim coach).

Mark Davis will not hire a OC or DC as an interim coach because he feels it will distract them from their offensive or defensive duties. This is why he hired ST Coordinator as the Interim Coach last time and LB Coach this time. Graham is the real deal… his defensive scheme has been lights out. I personally think he’s more important than AP.