The Hitman Cometh

swede700

Traditional stats and accolades may not come close to covering what Harrison Smith has meant to the Minnesota Vikings’ organization over the last 12 years but his numbers in those categories stack up well against other defensive backs in the Hall.

He has more sacks and interceptions than Hall of Famers John Lynch and Troy Polamalu. He has six Pro Bowls, which is more than Hall of Fame finalist Rodney Harrison, 2023 inductee Ronde Barber, 2022 inductee Leroy Butler. No other active safety has six Pro Bowls and Earl Thomas is the only player who started post 2010 with more (7).

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/if-this-is-it-for-harrison-smith-hes-put-together-a-hall-of-fame-career

We'll have to watch to see what happens with him in the offseason, but even if he doesn't walk away, I think it's important to start keeping his career in perspective.

O’Connell: “I selfishly want him around our team and around our defense and around our program because I think he makes each and every part of what I just said better and that's what really defines great players in this league, and he certainly is one and has been one for a really long time."

vikings.com

• Like 2

One of the players where it will really hit me if he retired.

Big inspiration for me when I was still actively playing football, great player, great person, great Viking.

Should be in the HoF, but probably will not get in for a long time. Lack of postseason success seems to be a exclusion criterion.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Ben Leber: “Lots of attention on Kirk and JJ but don’t forget about Hitman. Lots of speculation on his future with Vikes. If not the Vikes, makes sense that he’ll make that Cowboys defense even better.”

Smith, in January: “Whenever I retire, I’m not going to tell you. You’ll figure it out. I’ll say this: It’s hard to have the ability to play and not have a desire to play. Whatever that gives you, I’m not trying to be ominous or anything. Right now my shoulder hurts.” 

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/analysis/theory-on-harrison

If the Vikings end up cutting Smith, are we thinking an outright cut to save $11.3M in cap space heading into free agency? Or a post June 1st designation, creating $15M in space in June? 

Personally, I’d label him a post June 1st cut and save more later. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings end up cutting Smith, are we thinking an outright cut to save $11.3M in cap space heading into free agency? Or a post June 1st designation, creating $15M in space in June? 

Personally, I’d label him a post June 1st cut and save more later. 

I would think it'd be a post-6/1 cut.