Commanders hire Adam Peters to be new GM (5 year deal)

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Honestly, I don't have a backup candidate for me. I just want to go after the big dog like we did with Peters. If we're going to succeed/fail I want to do so trying and going after the best available. So for me its a "get your checkbook out and give Ben what he wants" and lets get rolling. 

As far as I'm aware coaching contracts don't affect the teams cap space, so absolutely if the owner is willing to spend, get the best coach/gm combination possible.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

As far as I'm aware coaching contracts don't affect the teams cap space, so absolutely if the owner is willing to spend, get the best coach/gm combination possible.

I agree with you and @lavar703 but Ben Johnson has to want to come here. He’ll have his choice being the so called pick of the litter. This is a desirable destination to come, so we’ll just have to find out his decision. 

• Like 3

This front office is going to do, exactly what I would do. And what Peters with Niners would do.

1)Trade down from #2, but stay in the top 10.

2)Draft best available player on the board, regardless of position.

3)Get an absolute haul of draft picks from trade down, for 2024 & 2025 draft picks. To completely change this roster in their image.

4)Keep Sam Howell, but draft QB on day 3.

It's exactly what I do in Madden when beginning my franchise as coach/owner.

THEN.....

In year 2 of my franchise. I draft my QB high, trade for 1, or sign one in FA. Presuming Sam Howell didn't elevate his play with made over roster. (Which in Madden, his rating is too low to stick with & progress to be great)

But by year 2?

My roster is built for the way i'm running my Offensive/Defensive schemes.

Which is usually speed. (Including O-line for my zone blocking scheme)

My whole team is fast.

So I run stretch plays, corner routes, slants, etc. get the ball in my playmakers hands.

Very similar to what you see the Miami Dolphins doing right now.

Their basically outrunning your defense....

The only difference between Miami Dolphins & My Franchise team with Washington Commanders?

Aceinthehouse's Playbook. 😁

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

This front office is going to do, exactly what I would do. And what Peters with Niners would do.

1)Trade down from #2, but stay in the top 10.

2)Draft best available player on the board, regardless of position.

3)Get an absolute haul of draft picks from trade down, for 2024 & 2025 draft picks. To completely change this roster in their image.

4)Keep Sam Howell, but draft QB on day 3.

It's exactly what I do in Madden when beginning my franchise as coach/owner.

THEN.....

In year 2 of my franchise. I draft my QB high, trade for 1, or sign one in FA. Presuming Sam Howell didn't elevate his play with made over roster. (Which in Madden, his rating is too low to stick with & progress to be great)

But by year 2?

My roster is built for the way i'm running my Offensive/Defensive schemes.

Which is usually speed. (Including O-line for my zone blocking scheme)

My whole team is fast.

So I run stretch plays, corner routes, slants, etc. get the ball in my playmakers hands.

Very similar to what you see the Miami Dolphins doing right now.

Their basically outrunning your defense....

The only difference between Miami Dolphins & My Franchise team with Washington Commanders?

Aceinthehouse's Playbook. 😁

Yeah…no they aren’t. I have absolutely no idea why this fanbase thinks they’re going to pass on a QB at 2 but the sooner they realize it’s not happening the better

• Like 3

Pretty fast execution.  Clearly he was their target and they went and got him.  I do hope they got a chance to interview other candidates thoroughly because I think you can learn a lot from those interviews.  By all measurements he appears to be a great candidate so we can be pleased.

Also happy he will fully be in place for the head coach search.

Like some others, I do want to see a full house cleaning of the other staff.  Let Peters learn what he needs to and them move on from them. 

Exciting stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah…no they aren’t. I have absolutely no idea why this fanbase thinks they’re going to pass on a QB at 2 but the sooner they realize it’s not happening the better

don't think it will be Williams or Maye.

I think we get a haul of draft picks.

Like we trade down to #8-Falcons. They take QB Williams or QB Maye.

We pick up their #11 pick in 2nd Rd(#43) of 2024 & their 1st Rd pick in 25'.

(Possibly some mid range picks thrown around as well)

We take best available player at #8. Start building roster.

It will be something like that, imo.

13 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

don't think it will be Williams or Maye.

I think we get a haul of draft picks.

Like we trade down to #8-Falcons. They take QB Williams or QB Maye.

We pick up their #11 pick in 2nd Rd(#43) of 2024 & their 1st Rd pick in 25'.

(Possibly some mid range picks thrown around as well)

We take best available player at #8. Start building roster.

It will be something like that, imo.

I would be shocked if they don’t pick a QB at 2. You rarely have a shot like this and I just don’t see a new regime thumbing their nose up to this opportunity. 

• Like 3

Reading Tepper will throw the bank at Ben Johnson to get him here. Would you really want that hanging over your head that if things aren’t going well you can be fired at any time. Also I guess it will depend on how Ben Johnson feels about B. Young.  Guessing here but he’ll get a 50m contract from us, we’ll see how that measures up against what Tepper will offer. Harris giving RR the rest of the year might play a big role in B. Johnson’s decision. 

• Like 2

This is like going from a Ford Pinto to a Tesla. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly Peters was responsible for in San Fran though. Also their last two drafts don't have many high draft picks and don't seem that promising. I think he'll be at least the equivalent of Kyle Smith making the draft picks, which basically means just pick the obvious BPA pick. The future is bright for the first time in a while. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I would be shocked if they don’t pick a QB at 2. You rarely have a shot like this and I just don’t see a new regime thumbing their nose up to this opportunity. 

Yeah just ask Snyder & Ron how that worked out for them? 

I have this feeling that it’s going to be Slowik bc of the connection to Peters & he worked so well with Stroud w/o a #1 WR & TE receiving option. 

I was looking at the 49ers assistant coaches & Brian Griese is their QB coach who’s worked with Brock Purdy, so maybe we hire Griese to be our offensive coordinator?

The 49ers secondary coach could be a candidate for our defensive coordinator job, Daniel Bulkocks. He’s 40 years young, been with the 49ers for 7 years.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/daniel-bullocks

“In 2022, Bullocks and the 49ers defense ranked tied for first in interceptions (20) and added an additional three during the postseason. Second-year S Talanoa Hufanga saw a breakout season, starting all 17 games, grabbing his first four career interceptions and setting career highs in tackles (97), sacks (2.0), forced fumbles (two) and passes defensed (nine), earning First-Team AP All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors. S Tashaun Gipson Sr. made 17 starts and grabbed five interceptions, his most since 2014, to go along with 61 tackles and eight passes defensed.”

Edited by turtle28