Commanders hire Adam Peters to be new GM (5 year deal)

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

ya I was listening to the radio and this is what they were saying too. Although the Marty's are technically on the football operations side they were hired to mainly had administrative stuff. Those items don't necessarily end just because the last game of the regular season has been played. Also they may manage the scouting department and it is generally a normal practice to carry the current scouting department through the draft then replace them after the draft. All of those things may be occurring here. 

For all of our sake this better not happen. Look what we have had up till now. All data points gathered by employees belong to the franchise. Fire everyone, hire someone, hand them all the gathered information and tell them to prepare a draft board. Much better than letting people who got us Jamin Davis and Emmanuel Forbes have any input.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

For all of our sake this better not happen. Look what we have had up till now. All data points gathered by employees belong to the franchise. Fire everyone, hire someone, hand them all the gathered information and tell them to prepare a draft board. Much better than letting people who got us Jamin Davis and Emmanuel Forbes have any input.

I think it will happen though. It's fairly hard to hire an entire scouting department at this point in time. Data points may be incorrectly interpreted by incoming personnel. 

Additionally, scouts are routinely ignored by the higher ups (like when we took Haskins because Snyder wanted him) when they submit their recommendations to the GM/HC. In a "clean sweep", you want all the decision makers gone, not necessarily all of the ones doing the data collection and the leg work. So firing the entire scout staff may be cutting off your nose to spite your face here. Trust me. I'd like nothing more than to start with a clean slate at every position in that building (right down to the janitorial staff). But having done some re-orgs before in fairly large organizations, there needs to be some temporary holdover while you get your people in place. My guess is that the majority of the scout staff will be retained so that the new decision makers can intelligently communicate with them what they meant in the scouting reports, players to watch for, etc... And then after the draft all (or almost all) will be let go by the new decision makers in favor of their own people. Before the draft, the decision makers will undoubtedly bring in new scouting staff. Just not going to completely show everyone the door all at once.

It's kinda like the joke where the Question is - "Why are turds tapered?"

You need to taper things off correctly or you risk continuity issues and workplace upheaval you don't want. It's the law of unintended consequences and risk matrix rearing their ugly heads.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Writing scouting reports is different than making the decision to draft someone.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Also they may manage the scouting department

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Writing scouting reports is different than making the decision to draft someone.

There is a disconnect here between you and I. I want Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew gone. You are getting hung up on the scouts. Quite frankly I don't care who our scouts are, Hurney and Mayhew assisted Ron Rivera in establishing this terrible roster. If you are suggesting keeping them because they "manage the scouting department" its a hard pass from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

So this applies for Meyers but not Harbaugh lol

Harbaugh is too old for me, he's a retread & he’ll want full control like Shanahan & Rivera had.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7s5gz3j1chichxvzv2b

Edited by turtle28

I forget who reported it - maybe it was Keim or JP Finlay - but a week or 2 ago a local beat reporter said that Josh Harris was using Marty Hurney as his chief advisor on football decisions & that he really valued Hurney’s input. I hated hearing that but I'm worried that means Hurney is retained I think at least as a Senior Advisor IMO.

Edited by turtle28

30 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

There is a disconnect here between you and I. I want Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew gone. You are getting hung up on the scouts. Quite frankly I don't care who our scouts are, Hurney and Mayhew assisted Ron Rivera in establishing this terrible roster. If you are suggesting keeping them because they "manage the scouting department" its a hard pass from me.

Its pretty standard practice around the league to carry a scouting department through the draft.  No one fires their scouts before the draft. 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its pretty standard practice around the league to carry a scouting department through the draft.  No one fires their scouts before the draft. 

I think we did something similar with either McCloughan or Kyle Smith

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The scouts aren't Marty Hurney or Martin Mayhew, correct? Okay so we are still talking in circles. Unless you are advocating for Hurney and Mayhew to remain, we are in agreement.

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The scouts aren't Marty Hurney or Martin Mayhew, correct? Okay so we are still talking in circles. Unless you are advocating for Hurney and Mayhew to remain, we are in agreement.

I’m not advocating for anything I’m just stating that them remaining isn’t abnormal.

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gotta have someone continue to run things and keep the lights on. My guess is they are gone asap when (or shortly after) the new GM gets hired.

Adam Peters could keep Mayhew, as they worked together in SF.  This is why you don’t fire people immediately beyond the top decision-maker.  Who knows what link the new coach and GM want to keep around.  You need someone to provide some continuity as well.  I wouldn’t have a problem if Peters wanted to keep Mayhew, or if the new coach wanted to keep 1-2 positional coaches.  

Look, I get that some people are going to be upset by this.  However, @e16bballand I went through this as Orioles fans when they hired Mike Elias.  Elias came into the game late in the cycle.  It took an entire year plus for him to finally churn through the entire front office, a front office littered with people whose primary link was that they were a part of the “Oriole Way” for decades, beyond any other qualification out there.  

Mike Elias made 2-3 landmark hires when he came on board, but it took an entire year to go through the organization and the following November, more moves were made to bring in executives aligned with the vision.  Look no further than Brad Ciolek, hired by the previous regime.  Elias retained Ciolek, who is now the Senior Director of Scouting for the Nationals.  Ciolek was Director of Draft Operations for the Orioles, which is pretty special considering that Elias’s background was primarily scouting.  You’ve got to see who is going to stick with the vision, and who isn’t.  

This is why I would be comfortable with punting the next season and holding off on a QB of the Future decision if they aren’t comfortable with this years batch of QBs.  A lot of organizational churn needs to happen, and with replacing both the GM and the coach, it isn’t all going to happen in one off-season. 

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Doug Williams has held just about every management position. He can be the face they trot out there to fire everyone. The decision makers are the ownership group. I imagine the search for Head of Football Operations doesn't take months... right? Harris said he wanted to be thorough and expedite this hire.

I’ve said for years that Doug Williams is one of the leaks coming out of the front office.  I wouldn’t be putting him in charge of anything.  

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

What management does Harris have in place right now? Spielman and Myers are doing the hiring taskforce, not day-to-day operations. Those staff changes would ostensibly be made by the GM would they not? Which means that the Martys would be the ones still making the decisions. Who does Harris have in place to make staff changes or player evaluation, or contacts with agents, or to make any of the myriad decisions that a franchise who didn't make the playoffs has to make in early January. Lacking an insight into the inner workings of an NFL Front Office, my assumption is that there are still all of the above going on as the NFL season isn't over (even if the team's season is). Therefore you still need someone that will perform the duties even if they are lame-duck. 

Just my thought.

I know that I addressed this in another post I just made, but it is not a realistic expectation for the entire front office to be let go.  Some will be let go, others will be given a year to acclimate and see if they can adapt to the new way of doing things.  

There is also the timing of the NFL Draft, and that I expect a lot of that staff to be the same until after the draft is concluded.  That is normally the time that those changes occur, but a high-ranking executive related to scouting is a change that could occur now with a new GM.  

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is my biggest concern. We don't need anyone that has had a hand in the atrocity that has been this franchise for the Rivera era doing anything. Hopefully Harris hires someone relatively quickly so we can clean house.

Also, very surprised that EB wasn't fired outright either.

I don’t think you fire a guy who could just walk back to the Chiefs right now and be sitting in the booth as an “analyst” in a couple days. 

Plus, someone in the building has to be giving orders to the coaches to finalize all of their end of year reports on players and such.