AFC - Which teams get a bye?

pwny

With the Patriots losing to the Dolphins, things just got a little more interesting at the top of the AFC.

Currently at 9-4, the Jaguars play the Texans (with TJ Yates) and 49ers the next two weeks. Should the Titans lose either of their next two (including a matchup vs the Rams), the Titans will have nothing to play for in their week 17 matchup vs the Jags. This *could* allow the Jaguars to finish 12-4. Should this happen, this is where things could get interesting, as the Jaguars hold tie breakers over both the Patriots and Steelers.

Currently the Patriots sit at 10-3. With a matchup against the Steelers next week looming large, followed by games against the Bills and Jets, the Pats have a relatively tough road to 13-3.

The Steelers are in the best position of the three teams to get a bye. Sitting at 11-2, they have the large matchup with the Patriots that seemingly will decide whether they sit at 1 or 2. However should they lose to the Patriots then drop one against the Texans or Browns (both of which seem unlikely), they could find themselves the 3 seed.

And while unlikely, should all three of the Jaguars, Steelers and Patriots finish 12-4, the AFC playoffs would go through Jacksonville. This could happen should the Jaguars win out, the Patriots beat the Steelers, then the Pats and Steelers both lose their week 16 matchups vs the Bills and Texans, respectively. This seems like a pipe dream for the Jaguars, but it is not completely unlikely.

Currently - the probability for each team sits at:

Steelers - 1 seed 62%, 2 seed 32%

Patriots - 1 seed 36%, 2 seed 41%

Jaguars - 1 seed 4%, 2 seed 24%

(note that these percentages equal 102% due to rounding)

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Currently at 9-4, the Jaguars play the Texans (with TJ Yates)

The greatest QB in Houston Texans' history, mind you. Clinched our first division title with Yates, won our first playoff game with Yates...

You've been warned. 9_9

19 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The greatest QB in Houston Texans' history, mind you. Clinched our first division title with Yates, won our first playoff game with Yates...

You've been warned. 9_9

But you aren't playing us. Unfortunately for me because this season sux.  Unfortunately for you, because we are both of your team's playoff wins.

12 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

But you aren't playing us. Unfortunately for me because this season sux.  Unfortunately for you, because we are both of your team's playoff wins.

No! We beat the Raiders. Without Derek Carr. But we beat em!

It’s possible but hinges on the Tennessee game.

Pats-Steelers can go either way, but Steelers won’t lose again after that. They’re going to be 13-3 at worst. 

Pats are a little bit trickier as they could end up at 12 wins, but again, I’m not sure I trust the Jags to win 5 straight and walk into a first round bye. They’d need a ton of luck.

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

“The pats have a relatively tough road to 13-3.”

Facing a pittsburgh team theyve owned for almost 20 years and the jets/bills at home?

Facing the current AFC 1 seed and current AFC 6 seed is, in fact, *relatively tough*, yes. 

32 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Jags will get a bye. 

This is what you wanted to hear, right? 

Yes, I went out of my way to say the Jaguars only have a 28% chance of getting a bye, and that the Patriots have a higher chance of getting the first seed or second seed alone, because what I really want from this topic is for everyone to agree that the Jaguars are getting a bye over the Patriots. 

I’m sorry Patriots fans are getting offended that someone thinks going undefeated against teams with a combined record of 23-16 is “relatively tough” compared to having to face records of 14-25 or 15-24. I forgot, nothing is tough for the Patriots, and even though they’re facing teams with a combined 8-9 more wins than that of what the other two teams will face, it really isn’t any tougher because the Patriots are so good. The Patriots won’t lose any of those games, and they’ll easily get 13-3, because it truly isn’t tough at all and to insinuate it would be would be downright preposterous.

No, what I wanted out of this discussion was things like what basically every one else in the thread posted - not complaining that someone thinks the Patriots schedule is *relatively* hard.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Yes, I went out of my way to say the Jaguars only have a 28% chance because what I really want from this topic is for everyone to agree that the Jaguars are getting a bye over the Patriots. 

I’m sorry Patriots fans are getting offended that someone thinks going undefeated against teams with a combined record of 23-16 is “relatively tough” compared to having to face records of 14-25 or 15-24. I forgot, nothing is tough for the Patriots, and even though they’re facing teams with a combined 8-9 more wins than that of the other two teams will face, it really isn’t any tougher because the Patriots are so good. The Patriots won’t lose any of those games, and they’ll easily get 13-3, because it truly isn’t tough at all and to insinuate it would be would be downright preposterous.

So much sass. 

I think any Pats fan who thinks that the rest of the season will be easy is deluding themselves. We have quite a few injuries and are facing some pretty stiff competition, including what is possibly the best team in the league at the moment this coming week. I understand that we have historically done well against the Steelers, but I'm sure Belichik would be the first one to tell you that what happened last year, or 2 or 3 years ago, has very little bearing on what will happen next week. I'm still hopeful,  we have a good team, but certainly not as confident as some.

Archived