2024 Offseason Free Agency

swede700

18 hours ago, vike daddy said:

One acquisition, suggested by The Viking Age’s Ryan Heckman, is for the Vikings to sign former Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Robert Woods.

On a two-year, $15.3 million deal with the Houston Texans, Woods is a roster-cut/trade candidate. The Texans landing Stefon Diggs to lead a loaded wide receivers room that features Tank Dell and Nico Collins may phase out Woods, who the Texans could part ways with and save a minimum of $5 million in cap space for the 2024 season.

“The Texans will likely part ways with veteran Robert Woods, who, at this point in his career, is the perfect candidate for this type of job behind Jefferson and Jordan Addison,” Heckman wrote in a June 5 article. “Whether the Texans find a trade partner or he ends up being released, the Vikings should be in on him.”

Woods played under Kevin O’Connell for two years in Los Angeles, including their 2021 Super Bowl championship season, before O’Connell left for the Vikings head coach position. Woods’ five years playing for Sean McVay would make him an ideal fit in O’Connell’s offense.

At 32 years old, Woods is in the twilight of his career. His production has declined, coming off 40 receptions for 426 yards receiving and a touchdown last year. However, that doesn’t mean he can’t thrive as the third wide receiver in the Vikings offense, especially considering his diverse skillset and the Vikings’ plans for the 2024 season.

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/robert-woods-houston-texans-news-rumors/?

One year, vet minimum deal? Sure. But there’s not a lot of reason to believe he’ll do more than 40/426/1 here. 

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

One year, vet minimum deal? Sure. But there’s not a lot of reason to believe he’ll do more than 40/426/1 here. 

His production has not only diminishes, but really fallen off a cliff since his production with the Rams.  Yes, he'd be cheap on the vet minimum but would he be an improvement over Powell and Nailor (if he can stay healthy)?  My own thinking is that he's not going to be more than WR5 or WR6.  

On 6/8/2024 at 8:39 AM, Captain Relax said:

I don't know why people are so down on Powell.  He really was clutch for the offense, especially when Jefferson was injured.

Agreed, I think Powell is more than serviceable to be our #3. He was extremely clutch for us last year and came through every time his number was called. Another thing to think about is that Powell will be our #3 only up until Hockenson comes back. Even though he is a tight end, Hockenson is effectively our #3 receiver when he is healthy which will take a lot off of Powell's plate and put him into position to be more effective for us potentially. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

so Robert Woods and Brandon Powell were both on the Rams' winning Super Bowl team, but Woods was injured and didn't play?

Powell in his 3rd year in the pros and Woods in his 9th?

Edited by vike daddy

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

so Robert Woods and Brandon Powell were both on the Rams' winning Super Bowl team, but Woods was injured and didn't play?

Powell in his 3rd year in the pros and Woods in his 9th?

I think, but I'm pretty sure Powell was used mostly on special teams with the Rams, just like he was in Detroit. 

And his one career Punt Return touchdown came against us!

Darren Wolfson: “I’m walking in to practice the other day on the TCO Stadium turf, and there’s Cam Akers, working out. There’s a reason why he’s staying in town, right? He wants to re-sign with the Vikings. Now, hey, they can tell us all they want about Ty Chandler looking good. Aaron Jones, yes, he does look good. Is there room for another running back? I guess we can have the debate about what Ty Chandler’s ceiling is."

“I’m just telling you, Cam Akers is hopeful. There hasn’t been any movement yet. But Cam Akers is staying here in town for a reason. He wants to remain with the Vikings. Free agent, so he’s doing his rehab at Training Haus, right next to the Vikings facility.”

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/akers-contract-free-agency-injuries-chandler-jones/

• Like 2

7 former Minnesota Vikings still unsigned after 2024 mini-camps

Patrick Peterson - CB
2023 Team: Pittsburgh Steelers
After spending two years with the Vikings, Peterson took on a new adventure with the Steelers last season. Unfortunately, the 33-year-old cornerback finished 2023 with the third-worst defensive grade from PFF in his entire career, and he set a new single-season career-high with 11 missed tackles. Was Peterson a bad fit in Pittsburgh's defense, or has his time as a reliable NFL cornerback come to an end?

Dalvin Cook - RB
2023 Teams: New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens
Last season was just an ultimate disaster for Cook during his first year outside of Minnesota. He was unable to get anything going with the Jets, as he averaged just 3.2 yards per rush attempt, and he joined the Ravens too late in the season to make any sort of legitimate impact.

Linval Joseph - DT
2023 Team: Buffalo Bills
Midway through the 2023 season, Joseph signed with the Bills, his third team since parting with Minnesota in 2020. The 35-year-old defensive tackle appeared in nine games with Buffalo last year (including the playoffs), and in five of the first seven matchups he played in, he helped the Bills hold their opponents under 100 rushing yards. He finished the season with 15 tackles (one for a loss) and one sack.

Laquon Treadwell - WR
2023 Team: Baltimore Ravens
Minnesota's former first-round pick has had stints with the Ravens, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, Arizona Cardinals, and Seattle Seahawks. With Baltimore last season, he appeared in five games and finished with just one catch for 16 yards.

Jayron Kearse - S
2023 Team: Dallas Cowboys
Kearse came back down to earth last season, as his defensive grade from PFF (44.9) ranked 94th out of 95 qualifying safeties around the NFL. He's still only 30-years-old, and he's been in the league long enough to convince a team that his performance last season wasn't the norm. 

Cam Akers - RB
2023 Team: Minnesota Vikings
Akers has reportedly been rehabbing his injured Achilles in Minnesota this offseason, and he is hoping to re-sign with the Vikings for the 2024 season, according to KSTP's Darren Wolfson. 

Duke Shelley - CB
2023 Teams: Los Angeles Rams and Las Vegas Raiders
In 11 appearances for Los Angeles last year, Shelley accumulated eight tackles, two pass breakups, and one fumble recovery. The majority of his snaps with the Rams last season came on special teams

https://thevikingage.com/posts/patrick-peterson-6-former-minnesota-vikings-unsigned-2024-mini-camps?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2mLUE63k9m07hpslYQ-0gPzIKyoJv6P5jmjZnm1XJGmwltXz3fdnUuPH0_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw

Edited by vike daddy

I can see Akers resigning with the Vikings at some point for depth purposes and potentially Dalvin or Kearse can get resigned due to an injury elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure the rest of them are done. 

• 2 weeks later...

NFL.com's Dan Parr is hoping Shaq Griffin has a solid season in Minnesota, and he believes Griffin is a great player for fans to support, as well. He recently opined "one player to root for" from each NFC team, highlighting Griffin for the Vikings.

Parr said Griffin is "shaping up to be an important piece" and wrote the following:

"Playing on a one-year, $4.5 million contract, Griffin is in line to start in Brian Flores' defense. I realize we're only talking about minicamps, but the results thus far are drawing positive reviews, with Griffin providing the seasoned leadership Minnesota needs at the position. People forget, but he was a Pro Bowler in 2019. A creative defensive coordinator like Flores might be able to help Griffin have a bounce-back year of sorts and extend his career."

https://www.vikings.com/news/blake-brandel-shaq-griffin-minicamp-surprise-players

49 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I've always found it interesting that he's not related to the Griffin we had back in the late 2000s who also had a twin brother. Cedric?

I don't think Cedric has a twin brother, google shows a Marcus and Michael Griffin though, and Marcus played for us in 2008 on the PS. Coincidentally, their time all overlapped in 2004 and 2005 at Texas.

• Like 1