Divisional Round: San Francisco 49ers vs Green Bay Packers

Via our chums at PFF:

Jordan Love: 54.0

Love averaged only 6.3 yards per attempt and threw an interception from clean pockets, struggled to find big plays to the middle of the field and had just one “big time throw.” He was intercepted twice, including on the final drive. Love’s 54.0 grade was his second-lowest of the season (only at Raiders in Week 5 was worse). For most of the contest, Love looked in control of an offense that consistently moved the football. During the final 20 minutes, it all fell apart.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-nfc-divisional-round-vs-49ers/

Quarterback Brock Purdy struggled to establish much rhythm on offense but came up big on the 49ers' final offensive drive, leading the team on a 12-play, 69-yard game-winning touchdown drive in the closing minutes. Purdy completed 23 of 39 passes for 252 yards and a touchdown. However, his overall grade of 59.7 was his lowest since Week 6 against the Cleveland Browns and even worse than his four-interception game in Week 16 against the Baltimore Ravens (64.9).

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/177175-worst-graded-players-packers-counts/

Both QBs played essentially the same in their eyes. Purdy essentially got the last laugh with best of his unremarkable night at the point of no return. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Via our chums at PFF:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/packers-pff-grades-best-worst-players-from-nfc-divisional-round-vs-49ers/

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/177175-worst-graded-players-packers-counts/

Both QBs played essentially the same in their eyes. Purdy essentially got the last laugh with best of his unremarkable night at the point of no return. 

Tim Kawakami has a quote from Brock that agrees with what I've seen on film - the Packers (and teams that play the 9ers probably from now on) were determined to cut off the deep balls given that Brock has been utterly deadly all year as a deep ball thrower. The most accurate 20+ yard passer since such things have been tracked. And teams have started to give him more of the Patty Mahomes/Josh Allen treatment and are trying to force him to be patient and Jimmy G them to death. It's frustrated Brock, because he's so much of a maximalist and loathe to give up on valuable plays down the field - a tremendous trait most of the time. But I think that he's getting a better feel for how to handle such approaches. It took Mahomes 6 or so games in the season after the Super Bowl to adjust. These things happen. I just have immense faith in Brock's ability at this point (weather permitting). Now, the Ravens are a different story. With their offense finding its groove, they are an absolute monster machine. We can beat the Lions playing an average game. Ditto for the Chiefs, even though they've been better since Rashee Rice has found himself. It will take much more than average to get the Ravens to the mat.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Tim Kawakami has a quote from Brock that agrees with what I've seen on film - the Packers (and teams that play the 9ers probably from now on) were determined to cut off the deep balls given that Brock has been utterly deadly all year as a deep ball thrower. The most accurate 20+ yard passer since such things have been tracked. And teams have started to give him more of the Patty Mahomes/Josh Allen treatment and are trying to force him to be patient and Jimmy G them to death. It's frustrated Brock, because he's so much of a maximalist and loathe to give up on valuable plays down the field - a tremendous trait most of the time. But I think that he's getting a better feel for how to handle such approaches. It took Mahomes 6 or so games in the season after the Super Bowl to adjust. These things happen. I just have immense faith in Brock's ability at this point (weather permitting). Now, the Ravens are a different story. With their offense finding its groove, they are an absolute monster machine. We can beat the Lions playing an average game. Ditto for the Chiefs, even though they've been better since Rashee Rice has found himself. It will take much more than average to get the Ravens to the mat.

Yeah Joe Barry had them boys sitting in a deep shell like most of the game it seemed. 

18 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Love looks like the real deal and has a bright future, but I can't believe how many people were echoing these thoughts after the game. Like he was fine before the two INTs but far from great. Heck, most of his big plays came with coverage busts or defenders falling down. And then he had two terrible INTs that didn't need to happen. 

Both young QBs had their moments but didn't play close to their best. 

These are the kind of guys who are just insufferable and also happen to drive so much of the narrative (collectively).

19 hours ago, N4L said:

The phrasing of this is weird. Did this come from deebo himself? 

"Does deebo have a chance to play"

"Yes I do" 

I don't think ward matches up all that well with Amon Ra as far as shadowing goes. I don't think that is the right call. 

Lenoir probably is the better fit for that role but because he plays in the slot I don't think we necessarily need to play man coverage to force that matchup. 

Lenoir had himself one helluva game. He is an absolute baller. He is priority #2 for me this off-season behind aiyuk. 

That's a good point, I suppose the idea would be to find a way to avoid him against Thomas, but when you play zone nothing can truly be avoided.  

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Griese was pissed at Ray Ray on the sidelines. 

Did you see the shot of Purdy screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" to Ray-Ray after the play? Purdy was pissed. 

Losing Deebo straight out of the gate really messed up our gameplan. 

20 hours ago, N4L said:

Has anyone heard why they put new sod down?? Baffling. 

The field conditions were worse than Levi's first year. No excuse for that. 

I need answers to this. WHY WAS THE FIELD REPLACED??

I watched the game again last night, this was a HUGE issue and almost cost us the game. You can tell no one felt comfortable on the field from our side. 

56 minutes ago, N4L said:

I need answers to this. WHY WAS THE FIELD REPLACED??

I watched the game again last night, this was a HUGE issue and almost cost us the game. You can tell no one felt comfortable on the field from our side. 

I mean I don't think any Packers player slipped on Saturday? So why was it just our guys falling and slipping all over the place? 

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean I don't think any Packers player slipped on Saturday? So why was it just our guys falling and slipping all over the place? 

I saw them slip once or twice, but we definitely slipped more, especially on defense. 

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Did you see the shot of Purdy screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!" to Ray-Ray after the play? Purdy was pissed. 

Losing Deebo straight out of the gate really messed up our gameplan. 

My favorite mad moment from Glock is still the "BRANDON!!!!" from the game against the Seahawks in the playoffs last year.