Preventing a Cap Capsizing

vike daddy

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

For a while, the open cap space was sitting at roughly $26 million. The McCarthy and Turner deals, though, take a bite out of things. The open room is now closer to $21 million, a number that’s neither rotund nor lean. Instead, it’s the kind of number that suggests Kwesi Adofo-Mensah’s work may not be done just yet.

Per Spotrac, the specific number sits at $21,084,567, the 13th most in the NFL.

J.J. McCarthy, the quarterback is accounting for a cap charge sitting at $3,973,599. Meanwhile, Dallas Turner is also putting a dent into things, seeing his Year 1 cap charge sit at $2,866,702.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-cap-space-bec/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

That's plenty of cap space for any realistic moves. Outside of a WR3, I don't think there are any FA's that are worth bringing in unless there's an injury somewhere. There aren't any surefire upgrades at DL or anywhere else, for that matter. We don't have any real ammo to make a trade for a big-ticket player. 

I suspect we will mostly stand pat, sign injury replacements, and hopefully have some space to rollover into next offseason.

• Like 1

Yep the game plan should be hope JJM is good, roll over additional cap space to next year, try to address IOL or IDL on day 1, with a big free agent signing, then use your top draft resource on possibly the other position if the value is there. 

• Like 4

I feel like safety is one of those positions where there are always some good, solid vets available in free agency who won’t break the bank.

Bynum is a good player, but I certainly don’t put him in the first or second tier at the position. Yet, that’s probably the level of contract he’ll be seeking. 

• Like 2

Minnesota has roughly $19 million left over in salary cap. Not a huge amount but also far from scraping the bottom of the barrel. Minnesota has breathing room, the coveted flexibility that Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has been so hard at work trying to obtain.

Oh, and one more thing: the 2025 budget currently sits at roughly $53.6 million since the extension for Darrisaw lowered the LT’s cap charge in that season. The end result could be a 2025 offseason where Adofo-Mensah puts a dent into free agency.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/rumors/vikings-rumors-perfe-19-million/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Minnesota has roughly $19 million left over in salary cap. Not a huge amount but also far from scraping the bottom of the barrel. Minnesota has breathing room, the coveted flexibility that Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has been so hard at work trying to obtain.

Oh, and one more thing: the 2025 budget currently sits at roughly $53.6 million since the extension for Darrisaw lowered the LT’s cap charge in that season. The end result could be a 2025 offseason where Adofo-Mensah puts a dent into free agency.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/rumors/vikings-rumors-perfe-19-million/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Next offseason is going to be every bit as interesting as this one. Our only real free agents of consequence next year are Harrison Phillips, Byron Murphy, Sam Darnold, Aaron Jones, Cam Bynum, and Jonathan Bullard. Murphy and Bynum are the only two that I think are "must resign" guys. But I don't think they're going to break the bank. There aren't any guys left to give big extensions to either. I think we're going to see significant moves on defense during the offseason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d add that Harrison Phillips is just as much of a “must re-sign” guy as Murphy. He’s the best player in the position room, and losing either one would make an already weak unit even worse. 

Sure. That's not innaccurate. Fortunately, none of them are bank-breakers. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Right now, the Vikings’ cap space has shrunk by a considerable margin. The word comes courtesy of Over the Cap, an online authority on the cap. Per their calculations, the Vikings are sitting on just $461,690. In the world of NFL finances, that’s a mere pittance, not enough to sign a veteran to even a minimum contract.

So, where did all of the money go? Some of it is being gobbled up by increased dead money, which has long looked like an issue for Minnesota in 2024. Cutting Lewis Cine actually means losing money rather than gaining money. The safety’s cap hit is now sitting at $5,407,155 even though he’s nowhere to be found in the Twin Cities.

Now toss in a bit more dead money kicked onto the pile by moving on from Andrew Booth Jr., Jonah Williams, Jeshaun Jones, and others. Combine it with the dead money already on the books and Minnesota is digesting an alarmingly-high amount of dead money: $65,149,270.

Also taking a bite out of things is the practice squad, a crew that’s accounting for $4,064,400.

Plus, there was the recent addition of corner Stephon Gilmore. The veteran is going to be the CB2 in Minnesota and possibly the main option along the boundary. Getting him to town, though promising for the on-field product, did put an extra number onto the ledger. He’s gobbling up $4,666,666 in cap space (and that’s even with some void year tomfoolery).

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/the-vikings-cap-space-dwind/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

By my count 42 players make up that $65M number. However, "only" 7 of them have a number north of $1M.

K. Cousins - ($28.5M or 43.8%)
D. Hunter - ($14.9M or 23%)
M. Davenport - ($6.8M or 10.5%)
L. Cine - ($5.4M or 8.3%)
D. Cook - ($3.1M or 4.8%)
D. Lowry - ($2.4M or 3.7%)
A. Mattison - ($1.25M or 2%)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

By my count 42 players make up that $65M number. However, "only" 7 of them have a number north of $1M.

K. Cousins - ($28.5M or 43.8%)
D. Hunter - ($14.9M or 23%)
M. Davenport - ($6.8M or 10.5%)
L. Cine - ($5.4M or 8.3%)
D. Cook - ($3.1M or 4.8%)
D. Lowry - ($2.4M or 3.7%)
A. Mattison - ($1.25M or 2%)

how much of the $65 mil dead cap this year disappears for next year?