Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

It leaked out that Sainristil got Jersey 2, where does that leave Dyami?

Fighting for a roster spot & if he makes it he’ll have to be another # like 14? A nod to Sam Howell?

Edited by turtle28

Fellas, the offseason isn't over. 

There will be cuts after minicamps and training camp.

So we do have an opportunity to grab an OT that gets let go and we definitely have the cap space to do it.

Now, I hear the argument already that guys who are let go are not going to be the same quality that you would've gotten from drafting a OT in the latter part of the 1st round or going with another OT in FA (Tyron would've intrigued me but I thought he was dealing with an injury and age?)... but it is what it is. 

Am I disappointed we didn't land a young stud OT? Yup. 

Do I think it will result in a worse OL than we could've gone with? Yup

Am I hopeful that we might find a serviceable OT that can help us for this year (one who has enough left in the tank)? Yes.

Do I hope Daniels has a great year? Also yes.

But the offseason isn't over just yet. The time to freak out about our line is after training camp when we see if they look good or like warmed up poo.

P.S. - One thing I'll point out is that if this line is as bad as last year's line I don't want to hear people defending Daniels and blaming the line for his struggles. Quite a lot of Sam-hating fans (not saying anyone here) told his defenders last year that the OL could not be used as a reason for poor offensive performance.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

He just wore it on loan. like you don't know that . 

What do you mean a loan? If you don’t think Tress Way is worthy of wearing No.7, I guess we have different opinions on the character and class of people and someone who has been with the team for a decade. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Fellas, the offseason isn't over. 

There will be cuts after minicamps and training camp.

So we do have an opportunity to grab an OT that gets let go and we definitely have the cap space to do it.

Now, I hear the argument already that guys who are let go are not going to be the same quality that you would've gotten from drafting a OT in the latter part of the 1st round or going with another OT in FA (Tyron would've intrigued me but I thought he was dealing with an injury and age?)... but it is what it is. 

Am I disappointed we didn't land a young stud OT? Yup. 

Do I think it will result in a worse OL than we could've gone with? Yup

Am I hopeful that we might find a serviceable OT that can help us for this year (one who has enough left in the tank)? Yes.

Do I hope Daniels has a great year? Also yes.

But the offseason isn't over just yet. The time to freak out about our line is after training camp when we see if they look good or like warmed up poo.

P.S. - One thing I'll point out is that if this line is as bad as last year's line I don't want to hear people defending Daniels and blaming the line for his struggles. Quite a lot of Sam-hating fans (not saying anyone here) told his defenders last year that the OL could not be used as a reason for poor offensive performance.

Agree with most of this post, although I’m still not letting them off the hook for not addressing this earlier in FA. I think that was the place where they could and should reasonably have landed a player who is at least on the same level as Lucas/Wylie (fringy starter).

Hopefully they’ll still make an addition there, although one wonders what they’re waiting for at this point. Teams don’t typically cut viable OTs at the camp stage — it’s usually to create cap/roster space in the weeks after the draft (a la Charles Leno).

The one place I have to quibble is the last paragraph. If Jayden is the worst QB in the league during the second half of his sophomore season, putting up Akili Smith type numbers, then I will agree not to use bad OL play to give him a full pass on his own terrible play. I’m not a Sam hater, more of a Sam non-believer, but even I was coming around on him at about the midway point. It was an absolute collapse from there, though. And while I could see looking past 8 games of “below average” or even “poor” play — I’m not sure you can be “absolutely awful” for half a season and have any real argument to keep a starting job. Regardless of the circumstances, honestly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure you can be “absolutely awful” for half a season and have any real argument to keep a starting job. Regardless of the circumstances, honestly.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/sam-howell-last-10-games

If we are judging the QB this harshly, we better be looking at replacing 11 starters on that defense because they were atrocious for all 17 games. Even in games we won, we were allowing both yards and points. 

It's water under the bridge at this point, but I think Sam Howell will do very well with a functioning organization.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

What do you mean a loan? If you don’t think Tress Way is worthy of wearing No.7, I guess we have different opinions on the character and class of people and someone who has been with the team for a decade. 

I mean Joey T was forced to"loan" it to him .