21: Sean Taylor

28: Darrell Green

33: Sammy Baugh

42: Charley Taylor

43: Larry Brown

44: John Riggins

65: Dave Butz

81: Art Monk

As much as I like other Redskin greats, if your name/number isn't on the list it should be up for grabs. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/sam-howell-last-10-games

If we are judging the QB this harshly, we better be looking at replacing 11 starters on that defense because they were atrocious for all 17 games. Even in games we won, we were allowing both yards and points. 

It's water under the bridge at this point, but I think Sam Howell will do very well with a functioning organization.

I’m looking at the last half of the season (Weeks 10-18), where he’s sitting on a 64.7 passer rating, with 59% completions and 5.7 Y/A and 7 TDs against 12 INTs. That line fits snugly between the numbers posted by Trevor Siemian and Bailey Zappe last season, who were the two worst QBs in the league to throw 150+ passes.

And that includes the genuinely excellent game Sam had against SEA in Week 10. From then on out, it was excruciatingly bad. Legitimately on par with most of the worst QBs you can think of. Not trying to hate on him, it’s just statistically true.

I don’t hate Sam Howell, and I’m absolutely rooting for him to do exactly what you’re projecting for him. He seems like a really nice kid, he’s tougher than hell, and he has genuine talent. Believing that we had to move on from him is just a statement that I don’t think he’s a good bet to reach that rare and lofty “can lead a team to the Super Bowl” status. 

And in any event, isn’t the full-scale destruction and rebuilding of that atrocious defense also exactly what they’ve done (and what you advocated for)? New DC, almost entirely new position coaches, two new starting DEs (Armstrong/Fowler), two new starting LBs (Wagner/Luvu), new nickel CB (Sainristil), new nickel LB (Chinn), likely new starting outside CB (Davis). Plus the return of Forrest at SS (who missed most of the season) and the likely insertion of Martin as a new starter in some role (FS?).

The only guys who seem likely to keep their starting spots from last year are the two DTs (who got a big injection of talent right behind them on the depth chart) and probably one of Forbes/BSJ. That’s monstrous turnover from one year to the next, and it (also) surely is directly related to their performance being unacceptably poor.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m looking at the last half of the season (Weeks 10-18), where he’s sitting on a 64.7 passer rating, with 59% completions and 5.7 Y/A and 7 TDs against 12 INTs. That line fits snugly between the numbers posted by Trevor Siemian and Bailey Zappe last season, who were the two worst QBs in the league to throw 150+ passes.

And that includes the genuinely excellent game Sam had against SEA in Week 10. From then on out, it was excruciatingly bad. Legitimately on par with most of the worst QBs you can think of. Not trying to hate on him, it’s just statistically true.

I don’t hate Sam Howell, and I’m absolutely rooting for him to do exactly what you’re projecting for him. He seems like a really nice kid, he’s tougher than hell, and he has genuine talent. Believing that we had to move on from him is just a statement that I don’t think he’s a good bet to reach that rare and lofty “can lead a team to the Super Bowl” status. 

I don't disagree at all. I think most of it is a reflection of the performance of the team as a whole over the individual player. At the point we traded away Montez Sweat and Chase Young, it seemed players started phoning in the "lost season". We were 3-5 and looked like a bottom 5 team. I'm not giving anyone a pass, including the QB. He sucked as much as the rest, but I don't feel he ever stopped trying, which I have respect for. 

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

And in any event, isn’t the full-scale destruction and rebuilding of that atrocious defense also exactly what they’ve done (and what you advocated for)? New DC, almost entirely new position coaches, two new starting DEs (Armstrong/Fowler), two new starting LBs (Wagner/Luvu), new nickel CB (Sainristil), new nickel LB (Chinn), likely new starting outside CB (Davis). Plus the return of Forrest at SS (who missed most of the season) and the likely insertion of Martin as a new starter in some role (FS?).

The only guys who seem likely to keep their starting spots from last year are the two DTs (who got a big injection of talent right behind them on the depth chart) and probably one of Forbes/BSJ. That’s monstrous turnover from one year to the next, and it (also) surely is directly related to their performance being unacceptably poor.

It's definitely a start. I wish we had gotten another starting CB. I think BSJ should be cut and I don't trust Forbes after watching him play last season. If I was them, signing Stephon Gilmore or Xavien Howard would still be a top priority for me. 

Besides that, I love what they did for the LB core. I wish we got someone explosive like Danielle Hunter over the group of Armstrong/Fowler/Ferrell, but that will give us a decent front 4. I know people are sour on the pick, but getting Newton is going to be huge for our defense, IMO. 

Then we the safeties. They are completely unknown at this point. If the CBs can hold up at the point of attack, maybe we are OK but we severely sucked in coverage on the back end and our best guy is now in LA.

But yes, it is a start towards competency. I think we are seeing the last of Jon Allen this year and possibly the last of Daron Payne next year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

9: Sonny Jurgensen

21: Sean Taylor

28: Darrell Green

33: Sammy Baugh

42: Charley Taylor

43: Larry Brown

44: John Riggins

65: Dave Butz

81: Art Monk

As much as I like other Redskin greats, if your name/number isn't on the list it should be up for grabs. 

Clinton would like a word. 😂 

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 1:10 PM, Slappy Mc said:

It's definitely a start. I wish we had gotten another starting CB. I think BSJ should be cut and I don't trust Forbes after watching him play last season. If I was them, signing Stephon Gilmore or Xavien Howard would still be a top priority for me. 

Besides that, I love what they did for the LB core. I wish we got someone explosive like Danielle Hunter over the group of Armstrong/Fowler/Ferrell, but that will give us a decent front 4. I know people are sour on the pick, but getting Newton is going to be huge for our defense, IMO. 

Then we the safeties. They are completely unknown at this point. If the CBs can hold up at the point of attack, maybe we are OK but we severely sucked in coverage on the back end and our best guy is now in LA.

It's clear to me that Peters & Quinn went with guys they knew over signing big-name FAs from other teams who they hadn't worked with before. Now, I'm open to that now bc it's a new regime but I don't really love it. Armstrong, Ferrell & Fowler are meh as pass rushers but they know their system. Sound familiar??

I agree that those 3 over Hunter or AJ Espenesa doesn't make me happy but I don't know if either considered coming here though. As we know there's a difference between wanting a FA and being able to sign them. Hunter went to Houston to try to win playoff games & Espenesa resigned in Buffalo for likely the same reasons.

What I would watch at pass rusher is 2 things:

1. What can Luvu & Jamin Davis do there in a LEO type role like Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Bruce Irvin, Vic Beasley & Micah Parsons played in Quinn’s defenses?

2. Pay attention to Parsons & Dallas over the next year or two. He's made rumblings that he's not happy Dallas hasn't extended him & he'd like to play for Dan Quinn.

I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that we sign Parsons when he becomes a FA but if franchised twice by Dallas that might not be until 2028. He’d then be in that LEO SLB/edge rushed role that he plays in Dallas. 

I agree that signing Stephon Gilmore or Xavien Howard would be ideal but, I do think that Quinn/Whitt must believe that BSJ fits their system and they can coach him up better than Rivera/JDR did. Quinn has said that he liked Forbes as a prospect - now maybe he's just being nice in the media - but if true, that's a good sign, and agree they must believe they can coach him up.

I don't think Forrest is an unknown. He was at worst ‘good’ in 2022. Our back end missed him like crazy when he went down. I will agree that Martin & Butler are still unknowns as to whether they can be consistent starters but, they have talent and hopefully they can get there.

Edited by turtle28

Posted (edited)

Well this surely makes a "steal" of a draft pick go down to a way overdraft. 

Did this happen in rookie camp? Did they know when he was drafted. Not Good !

Diagram of bones in foot and ankle illustrates location of a Jones fracture in the fifth metatarsal.

Edited by RSkinGM

57 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Most likely the reason he didn’t go in the 1st round. 

This is just an extremely frustrating pick to me. I would’ve much rather they picked DeJean (I know he was hurt too), JPJ, Cooper or Mitchell. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This is just an extremely frustrating pick to me. I would’ve much rather they picked DeJean (I know he was hurt too), JPJ, Cooper or Mitchell. 

Just hoping the Medical Staff they have are much better than in the past. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah swap Kool Aid for JPJ and I get it