Off-Season 2024-"Peters" built

Will keep an open mind on it, but my gut reaction is that Allegretti is the first signing I’m genuinely not in favor of.

Given where we sit in the draft, OG is one of the few positions I feel very confident we could address with an instant starter on Day 2. I don’t know that we needed to give a middling player a middling contract at that position. There were various options at either 36/40 or 67 that I would have liked better, and who might well be BPA at either of those picks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Will keep an open mind on it, but my gut reaction is that Allegretti is the first signing I’m genuinely not in favor of.

Given where we sit in the draft, OG is one of the few positions I feel very confident we could address with an instant starter on Day 2. I don’t know that we needed to give a middling player a middling contract at that position. There were various options at either 36/40 or 67 that I would have liked better, and who might well be BPA at either of those picks.

I think there’s going to be some serious talent at WR in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I see it as a solid player with positional versatility in the interior that immediately improves your team. Albeit marginal, it’s a reasonably low cost for a player who’s ascending.

I also believe they know the OT market in free agency is dicey at best. Good starters rarely get to free agency. Instead of throwing money at a Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, I predict they trade into the end of the first round to get a young OT.

Edited by A TRAIN 89

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I tend to agree, but I am not sure the contract is all that significant so we might be ok viewing him as a depth player if we find a better option.

We filled a lot of gaps filled that should give us flexibility in draft.

Tyron Smith, Stephon Gilmore and Danielle Hunter are my top targets left in FA. Pipe dream would be to land them all.

I already think the roster is going to be more competitive than it was last year. I think we need some serious CB and S help still and hopefully we address that in the draft. I am very happy that the offensive line is being addressed. I think we end up with a RT in the draft and hopefully we end up with Tyron Smith.

NFL RUMORS 
Best #NFL Free Agents Available After Day 1

#Vikings Danielle Hunter 
#Ravens Patrick Queen
#Titans Derrick Henry
#Jaguars Calvin Ridley
#Bucs Devin White
#Cowboys Stephon Gilmore
#Cowboys Tyron Smith 
#Lions CJ Gardner Johnson 
#Commanders Kendall Fuller
#Cardinals Marquise Brown 
#49ers Chase Young 
#49ers Arik Armstead 
#Bucs Lavonte David 
#Ravens Jadeveon Clowney 
#Broncos Justin Simmons 
#Colts Kenny Moore
#Commanders Curtis Samuel 
#Bengals DJ Reader
#Seahawks Bobby Wagner
#Bears Darnell Mooney

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

Ian Rapoport 

A new QB in Minnesota: The #Vikings are expected to sign #49ers QB Sam Darnold, per me and @TomPelissero. 

Darnold gets a 1-year deal worth $10M, sources say, and joins former teammate Josh McCown, who is Minnesota’s new QB coach.  

Kirk Cousins out, Darnold in.

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

RedGold had some nice things to say about him and the signing. For all the money spent today on guards, 3 years and 16 million doesn't seem like a heavy investment. Reminds me a little bit of our Schweitzer signing years ago. Might be a starter, might be a swing guy. Either way it keeps options more open? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Why?

I didn't want him at all. Starting with that...

That said ... we currently need a vet backup and Peters was familiar. So a phone call makes sense.

There's also the possibility that an agent was using us as leverage because of the connection. 

The Commanders started the day with approximately $85m in salary cap space and plenty of holes to fill. Here's how Day 1 concluded: 

-----------------------------------------

Dorance Armstrong, DE from the Dallas Cowboys - reported 3 year, $33 million deal 
Armstrong was a rotational player for the Cowboys, but is likely stepping into a larger role starting for the Commanders and Dan Quinn's defense. In his part time role, Armstrong managed 18.5 sacks in 31 games. Armstrong comes with a bit of a gamble - can he keep this up in full time work? But it's a gamble on a team friendly deal that wasn't too expensive. 

Tyler Biadasz, C from the Dallas Cowboys - reported 3 year deal worth $30 million.
Biadasz, a former Pro Bowler in 2022, was a solid interior protector for the Cowboys. My opinion is that this is absolutely an upgrade from what we had at the position. Where does this leave Stromberg? Unknown. Biadasz is just 26 years old though, with good experience. He should be a great addition to our probable future rookie QB. Hell he should make things better for Sam Howell too. 

Frankie Luvu, LB from the Carolina Panthers - reported 3 year deal worth a max of $36 million.
Luvu isn't your typical Commanther signing. Wasn't ever even with Rivera there. Luvu is a jack of all trades - 12.5 sacks and a lot of tackles over the last two seasons. He should step into the Mike role for Quinn and be a nice fit for him. This is absolutely the type of player Peters and Quinn talked about wanting to sign. He fits what they are looking for. I think looking back on this one, we're remember it more positively. 

Austin Ekeler, RB from the Los Angeles Chargers - reported two year, 11.5 million deal. 
I love this deal. Yes, I know this is not the same Austin Ekeler from two+ years ago. He doesn't have to be. Ekeler should provide a great complement to Brian Robinson as well as being an excellent safety valve for our Quarterback to rely on. For some of the money some RBs got today (who, yes have more overall talent), we got a good deal here. Ekeler had some down numbers last year, but still contributed 628 rushing and 436 receiving yards. Two years ago he was 915 rushing and 722 receiving (on 107 catches!). He's not a burner. He's just there. I think he can be a lot of what we wanted from Gibson. 

Nick Allegretti, G from the Kansas City Chiefs - reported three year, $16 million deal.
Do we have shades of deja vu from the Wylie signing? Possibly. It's a decent contract for a guy who should be at best our swing interior lineman (again where does this leave Stromberg?). But, this reminds me of the Schweitzer signing years ago. We have a reliable guy to be a backup, or he comes in and is our starter until we can upgrade the position. This contract certainly won't break us, and puts us in a position to be a little more flexible. Like you, I hope this isn't the end of the work on the interior, but overall I get why they did it. 

Brandon McManus, K from the Jacksonville Jaguars - reported 1 year deal for $3.6 million.
After spending his entire career in Denver, McManus spent last season with Jacksonville. Seemed like he was fine? Should be an upgrade over Slye as McManus did not miss an XP last season. 

--------------------------

Overall a pretty good first day. I would say we solidified 3 starting positions, possibly 4 (Ekeler would be 5 but I assume it's still B-Rob's job), and took care of kicker. Let's see what Day 2 brings. 

• Like 2