Conference Championships

Leader

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Purdy was an MVP caliber player this year. Goff wasn't far behind. 

They were not mediocre QBs this season. 

For a variety of reasons, but the reality is they played really well.

They are not that innately talented. They played really well because of that steel machine. That's why Purdy was the last man drafted, and Goff was traded. They had a steel machine around them, and iron-clad defenses. That's what MacReady has been saying is the winning formula. 

KC is the exact opposite. An All-pro QB and a weaker supporting cast (like MVS is a starting WR) because of the QB/cap issue. If KC makes the super bowl, it will be a good test of MacReady's hypothesis. I have no idea how the Ravens are constructed, so I don't know if that matchup with either NFC team would be a fair test. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

They are not that innately talented. They played really well because of that steel machine. That's why Purdy was the last man drafted, and Goff was traded. They had a steel machine around them, and iron-clad defenses. That's what MacReady has been saying is the winning formula. 

KC is the exact opposite. An All-pro QB and a weaker supporting cast (like MVS is a starting WR) because of the QB/cap issue. If KC makes the super bowl, it will be a good test of MacReady's hypothesis. I have no idea how the Ravens are constructed, so I don't know if that matchup with either NFC team would be a fair test. 

You don't know how the Ravens are constructed?  They are what they have always been.  Defense first and foremost.  

I feel like they led the league in sacks and they have outstanding ILB play.

Offense has always been run heavy, but by adding OBJ, they got a legit WR who knows how to play and win.  They they hit a home run with their WR, Flowers.  And prior to his injury, Mark Andrews was one of the best receiving tight ends in the league.  Likely has really come on at TE now, too.

Also?  About the Ravens?  Whenever I've watched them, they have a guard who plays fullback for them.  Ricard.  300 pounder who can really move.  Used to be you could watch him and he'll take you to the ball.  This year he's still leading a lot of plays, but they have built off of that more.  The guy is unreal with how he crushes people in the running game.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Is/was Tom Brady "innately talented"?

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

You don't know how the Ravens are constructed?  They are what they have always been.  Defense first and foremost.  

Offense has always been run heavy, but by adding OBJ, they got a legit WR who knows how to play and win.  They they hit a home run with their WR, Flowers.  And prior to his injury, Mark Andrews was one of the best receiving tight ends in the league.  Likely has really come on at TE now, too.

Also?  About the Ravens?  Whenever I've watched them, they have a guard who plays fullback for them.  Ricard.  300 pounder who can really move.  Used to be you could watch him and he'll take you to the ball.  This year he's still leading a lot of plays, but they have built off of that more.  The guy is unreal with how he crushes people in the running game.

Thanks. How much of their cap is dedicated to QB?

49 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He did have one of the NFL's biggest horseshoes wedged up his ***, does that count?

But seriously, Purdy and Goff are most likely not Hall of Fame QBs and probably won't even be Hall of Very Good. But they're starters you can comfortably win with with the right supporting cast. They're probably in the top 12-14 QBs right now:

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Striker said:

He did have one of the NFL's biggest horseshoes wedged up his ***, does that count?

But seriously, Purdy and Goff are most likely not Hall of Fame QBs and probably won't even be Hall of Very Good. But they're starters you can comfortably win with with the right supporting cast. They're probably in the top 12-14 QBs right now:

I'm trying to figure out how he defines "talent". There's more than one way to do it.

Purdy and Goff have talents. They might be different than Josh Allen and Lamar's, but Allen and Lamar lack in places Purdy and Goff excel, too.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

One of the best things the Ravens did this offseason was move on from Greg Roman.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

In what way? I would say he is very much like Aaron Jones is to running backs.  Not a stand out in any trait, but very good at just about everything.  He also has two distinctive careers.  He was not much more than a game manager for the first 5 or 6 seasons being a starter.  He led the league in passing TDs in 2002 (with 28) and passing yards in 2005 (with 4110), neither were super impressive seasons.  Then he turned into a prolific passer, only failing to pass for fewer than 30 TDs in 6 of the following 6 seasons, two of which were injury shortened, and one of which he was 45 years old.  

Brock Purdy has a much better offensive cast around him than early Brady, and has a far weaker arm.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

No it isn't. IIRC Brady took below market contracts because his wife was very wealthy. I think he's divorced now. 

We're not talking about contracts. We're talking about their "innate talent". 

Who they marry is totally irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Thanks. How much of their cap is dedicated to QB?

5 years.  $260M.  22.15M this year.  They are paying their QB.  But they are in the very early stages of that deal, much like we will be with Love shortly.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

We're not talking about contracts. We're talking about their "innate talent". 

Who they marry is totally irrelevant.

I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm talking about MacReady's QB-Cap Hypothesis. The cap cost of the QB is the main variable. If Brady could take less money (and therefore use less cap space) because he was married to a rich woman, that is very relevant. That actually makes Brady an outlier. In MacReady's Hypothesis, a low paid QB (either a mediocre vet or a talented QB on a rookie contract) leaves enough cap space to build the steel machine. The MacReady Hypothesis states that a team with a cap configuration where the QB takes up less than about 15% (correct me if I'm wrong, MacReady--I'm too lazy to look up your exact number) will have enough cap space to sign enough quality players to win against a team with a superstar QB who eats up so much cap space that it cripples the team at other positions. 

KC has a talented vet QB with a high cap number. KC lost its best WR, a game changer, because of that. According to Vegas, Baltimore has a talented vet who is on a reasonable contract, but I have to check if it's below the 15% of cap space (I think that is the threshold of the MacReady Hypothesis). 

San Fran has a low cap number mediocre level QB, but a very talented roster, because of the cap space. The clearest test of the MacReady Hypothesis IMHO, would be a KC-SF Super Bowl. The MacReady Hypothesis predicts a San Fran win.