2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

I pointed it out before we were 10-1 and caught grief for it.

I think it's the aggressive complaining and attacking people that don't agree with your crews ways that you got caught in. 

It's not impressive to "call it". You could call it every year for the next 10 years and be correct. Only 1 team can win it every year. Your odds will be great if you wanna "call it" 

9 hours ago, Last Stand said:

If howie gets the eagles to an average of 4 super bowls a decade us eagle fans are livin pretty large

this year was a mess there’s no question about that but I challenge anyone to tell me who these franchises are that are winning superbowls every year. The chiefs? Who won their very first ever like 5 years ago? Oh and they happened to draft the greatest QB talent ever. 

no other team is seeing that success. The post I replied to is more flawed than anything related to the eagles season. It’s flawed fandom, to assume that anything but superbowls is useless as a fan is honestly just spoiled and crazy. 

what will always matter to me is the eagles having good teams as often as possible, that’s all any fan should ask for. It’s entertainment that you watch for 17-20 weeks if you’re lucky. To assert that you essentially waste 17 weeks of your life if the eagles don’t win it all and have talent downgrades after a Super Bowl run is like why even watch? Just wait until the eagles make a superbowl again, watch that, and then whine when they lose.

What a great new poster we got here. Really enjoy the reads. 

I find it insanely ironic and hypocritical that posters complain that they come up against contradicting feedback on their contradicting views or opinions. 

This is a discussion board. People’s dispositions will vary. You state a claim and wait for feedback. Or not. But why get in a tiff when your opinions don’t go over swimmingly? Thats the whole point of us being here. We bounce things off of each other. Right or wrong. Then discuss why we think we’re right or wrong. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I do take them at their word on Nakobe, clearly he was expected to make a jump into the starter role. And I think they went into the offseason thinking CJGJ would be back. On them not to have a better backup.

Larger discussion to be had about coaches not rotating in rookies and constantly drafting guys for “two years out” issues. 

But we always knew it was a multi-year thing to bolster the Defense. So some level of downturn was expected.

Between Safety and Linebacker they had two young guys expected to take charge with Nakobe and Blankenship…the latter was the only one who did. After CJGJ thing blew up, they thought their vet patchwork guys would work as they have before for the lesser of the two spots. Cunningham was fine but Nakobe sucked/was hurt. At safety Reed was fine but the “competent vets” were a big miss, not helped by the awful coaching.  Hindsight we can kill it, and should to an extent…but we’d be lying if we said it hasn’t worked in the past.

It happens, you can’t address all your needs at once. But big lesson I hope Howie takes is putting an entire area of a side of the ball into that mystery zone is something you can’t do. Yeah it could work, but we saw how disastrous it can go last year.

Big mystery on top of this whole thing is the next level of bad the defensive scheme was. Like it throws all the personnel side of things as well as the players side into question of was it their fault too?

This is fair but it also shows how bad Howie is at evaluating said positions. Because what reason did they have to expect that from Nakobe to make a jump when he couldn't get on the field last year? They were with him all year, they should have know where he was at and that even still if he mad a massive jump out of nowhere. What about the other LB position? We can't even field a traditional base defense.

As for safety it is a similar situation. They expected CJGJ to be back, he could have matched the Lions option when given the chance. And even when he didn't, there were better options at Safety available when he went for Edmunds and banking on Evans of all things, look where that got us the last game of the season with Maddox playing safety because the guy who has been injured his whole career got injured with us. 

And banking on a second year UDFA was foolish and another way why we can't evaluate Safety for sh*t. Yes he is a fine player, but he is not a team cornerstone and he is fine but he is to what Jordan Matthews was to WR, but we've been so starved for safety play that competent looks awesome to us. 

20 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

This is fair but it also shows how bad Howie is at evaluating said positions. Because what reason did they have to expect that from Nakobe to make a jump when he couldn't get on the field last year? They were with him all year, they should have know where he was at and that even still if he mad a massive jump out of nowhere. What about the other LB position? We can't even field a traditional base defense.

That is one of my issue with the philosophy of draft for the future.  They sit a guy a year, anoint him as a starter year 2, with no proven NFL draft record, and wonder why it does not work.

These guys need to play as rookies, see what you have, before just giving them a starting job in year 2.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

And thats the follow up question that should've been asked. Losing his position coach and DC who would've had a lot of those thoughts didn't help. But Nick, Howie and the personnel staff should've had plenty to go on. His injuries derailed getting a full picture, but them doubling down in their belief he will be a player....best way to put it is we as fans haven't been privy to whats giving them confidence.

21 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

As for safety it is a similar situation. They expected CJGJ to be back, he could have matched the Lions option when given the chance. And even when he didn't, there were better options at Safety available when he went for Edmunds and banking on Evans of all things, look where that got us the last game of the season with Maddox playing safety because the guy who has been injured his whole career got injured with us.

It seemed like he didn't want to come back after Howie wouldn't give him the offer he wanted. Never really know.
I think they would've brought Epps back at least, but he signed a week before the CJGJ thing fell apart. Like a lot of the safety market. Thats on them not getting it done / letting it linger that long.

29 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

And banking on a second year UDFA was foolish and another way why we can't evaluate Safety for sh*t. Yes he is a fine player, but he is not a team cornerstone and he is fine but he is to what Jordan Matthews was to WR, but we've been so starved for safety play that competent looks awesome to us. 

It was a risk for sure, but overall it was what many want them to do in playing a rookie enough to show what they can do and giving them a shot. Which especially in the back 2/3 of the defense is pretty rare for them to develop anyone in house.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

So we still cant be critical of this team after having one of the greatest collapses in history? Be happy with what we got even after what just happened? Im not sure what youre trying to say here. 

I’m saying something very simple

being critical is not my issue. I’d preferred nick had been fired

being critical of the 2023 eagles is fair, being critical of the 2020, 2015, 2012 is fair.

to be critical of the process that’s so far produced 2 Super Bowl appearances in a 5 year span is asinine. To act as though the process is a failure as we only have one Super Bowl is spoiled. The ravens haven’t been to a superbowl in 12 years. Are we going to say they have a failed process? What about the niners who haven’t won a superbowl in almost as long as the cowboys? Are we going to say their process is failed?

the eagles have down years. Criticize the down years. That’s reasonable. As entertainment they were a less entertaining product for 7 weeks. Fans don’t just cling to the small things. They cling to players, seasons, and if they’re lucky trophies. Fans clinging to the small stuff is what 99% of fans have to do.

tell that lion fan who was sobbing over a playoff victory that he was clinging to the small stuff

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That is one of my issue with the philosophy of draft for the future.  They sit a guy a year, anoint him as a starter year 2, with no proven NFL draft record, and wonder why it does not work.

These guys need to play as rookies, see what you have, before just giving them a starting job in year 2.

100%, need to get personnel and coaching on the same page with that too.

Lets not draft an OT and let him sit 2 years and then have him thrown in. Which would be the most Eagles move this year.
If he's playing guard fine, but otherwise lets not.

1 hour ago, Last Stand said:

I’m saying something very simple

being critical is not my issue. I’d preferred nick had been fired

being critical of the 2023 eagles is fair, being critical of the 2020, 2015, 2012 is fair.

to be critical of the process that’s so far produced 2 Super Bowl appearances in a 5 year span is asinine. To act as though the process is a failure as we only have one Super Bowl is spoiled. The ravens haven’t been to a superbowl in 12 years. Are we going to say they have a failed process? What about the niners who haven’t won a superbowl in almost as long as the cowboys? Are we going to say their process is failed?

the eagles have down years. Criticize the down years. That’s reasonable. As entertainment they were a less entertaining product for 7 weeks. Fans don’t just cling to the small things. They cling to players, seasons, and if they’re lucky trophies. Fans clinging to the small stuff is what 99% of fans have to do.

tell that lion fan who was sobbing over a playoff victory that he was clinging to the small stuff

You just mentioned 2 years out of those 5...dont be so critical of howie. Keep the main thing the main thing. 

To say his process is not above criticism is absolutely ridiculous. Be better.

Edited by UndyTaker

10 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

Hey man we'll get next year. Dont you worry. Go birds!!!!

I don't worry, it's pointless.  I let seasons unfold. Only 1 Franchise gets to celebrate at the end of a NFL season. I got to celebrate for the first time my lifetime in 2017. 

When the odds are better you could win the lottery 3x over rather then win a SB every single year for a decade or your season is considered a failure. 

What's the point? Just stop watching football if that's your mindset.  Seriously!

That's directed to those that apply. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I don't worry, it's pointless.  I let seasons unfold. Only 1 Franchise gets to celebrate at the end of a NFL season. I got to celebrate for the first time my lifetime in 2017. 

When the odds are better you could win the lottery 3x over rather then win a SB every single year for a decade or your season is considered a failure. 

What's the point? Just stop watching football if that's your mindset.  Seriously!

That's directed to those that apply. 

Howie ruined our odds this year :(. Its why you were losing your **** all season and people had to tell you to settle down man. You were the most angry person on these forums and its ironic for you to say you dont worry and its pointless. Howie got into your feelings and now you're defending him. A true love/hate relationship 🍻

Edited by UndyTaker

26 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

100%, need to get personnel and coaching on the same page with that too.

Lets not draft an OT and let him sit 2 years and then have him thrown in. Which would be the most Eagles move this year.
If he's playing guard fine, but otherwise lets not.

Add to that, Stoutland does a fantastic job preparing the players for the week, it is really not necessary to redshirt OL players drafted in the first three rounds. You don't have to spend a 1st on LB or S, those resources would be better allocated there, until we have starters at LB/S. 

The trenches are 50% of the starters there is always going to be an excuse to spend there. 

I'm gonna lose my **** if we take an OL at 22. Saw an article that taking an OL at 22 is this year's version of us taking Bijan last year. Groupthink kinda. Which every mock drafter was on last year and so far it's all OL at 22. Though OL at 22 is far more realistic than Bijan was last year.

1 hour ago, UndyTaker said:

You just mentioned 2 years out of those 5...dont be so critical of howie. Keep the main thing the main thing. 

To say his process is not above criticism is absolutely ridiculous. Be better.

Being critical vs acting as though their entire process is a sham and fans are taking scraps are 2 completely different ideas

I’m very critical of how howie and company handled LB and safety this year. I however don’t believe the last 6 years were a sham because we’ve only won 1 Super Bowl and everything else was superfluous