2024 offseason, a lot of work to do.

A little cap look I was doing.  The only players that can be released and have more than a million in cap savings are Byard, Maddox and Dickerson.

Milton Williams and the rest below him will be replaced by another player in the top 51 formula, so for example

Milton Williams 1.356 million saved, replaced by Mekhi Garners 915K cap hit makes the cap savings 441K saved.

No description available.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

A little cap look I was doing.  The only players that can be released and have more than a million in cap savings are Byard, Maddox and Dickerson.

Milton Williams and the rest below him will be replaced by another player in the top 51 formula, so for example

Milton Williams 1.356 million saved, replaced by Mekhi Garners 915K cap hit makes the cap savings 441K saved.

I'm not super into Maddox, but I'd still have him on the team competing for the slot job against stiff competition. Only dude I'd get rid of there is Byard as a no brainer. With his savings you can sign a legit starter somewhere.

14 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'm not super into Maddox, but I'd still have him on the team competing for the slot job against stiff competition. Only dude I'd get rid of there is Byard as a no brainer. With his savings you can sign a legit starter somewhere.

You are not saving enough with Maddox for it to be worth it.  You would have to pay at least 5 million for a player at his level of play, so it actually costs you money to get rid of him.

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You are not saving enough with Maddox for it to be worth it.  You would have to pay at least 5 million for a player at his level of play, so it actually costs you money to get rid of him.

Yeah makes no sense. He wasn't good last year when he was actually healthy, but that's kind of asking a lot considering what we had going on with the defense. It's his durability that I'm done with. Two huge mistakes for the defense would be assuming he's the starting slot CB and that Dean is a starting LB.

19 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Yeah makes no sense. He wasn't good last year when he was actually healthy, but that's kind of asking a lot considering what we had going on with the defense. It's his durability that I'm done with. Two huge mistakes for the defense would be assuming he's the starting slot CB and that Dean is a starting LB.

Hopefully with some luck one of him or Rodgers pans out as slot corner. If Ringo steps up at corner that would be huge. Seems that this is a strong corner class at the top, no? Maybe safety and LB could be a focus in free agency then. 

44 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Hopefully with some luck one of him or Rodgers pans out as slot corner. If Ringo steps up at corner that would be huge. Seems that this is a strong corner class at the top, no? Maybe safety and LB could be a focus in free agency then. 

I believe Rodgers played primarily outside CB with Indianapolis when he was there. I could be wrong. As I've said before, Ringo might be my favorite player to follow throughout OTA season and training camp. And from what I've gathered, there is no Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley in this class. DeJean, Wiggins, Arnold, Mitchell and McKinstry are the top guys who people seem to think are in or near the same class as Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon from last year. Maybe a little below. And the only guys I'm remotely interested in at corner in free agency are Jaylon Johnson (1 great year, some uncertainty, won't make it to FA), and L'Jarius Sneed, who might not make it to FA either. Corner might be an issue for us if we can't trade for one. I don't think we have the horses currently on the roster and the free agent options are honestly unrealistic. Hard for me to count on a rookie too, even if it is one of those top rated guys.

The free agent safety class is LOADED, and LB is solid as well. I'd be pretty let down if we didn't sign a couple starters from those pools.

Edited by EagleBlueDon

Hopefully Fangio being here puts an added emphasis on acquiring top notch LB's. His defenses are just meh when he doesn't have at least 2 Danny Trevathan quality ILB's.
We need to get him his P Willy/Roquan/Bowman. Asking for 2 good LB's is probably too much for Howie, but we need to get Vic at least one top 5 caliber ILB.

37 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Hopefully Fangio being here puts an added emphasis on acquiring top notch LB's. His defenses are just meh when he doesn't have at least 2 Danny Trevathan quality ILB's.
We need to get him his P Willy/Roquan/Bowman. Asking for 2 good LB's is probably too much for Howie, but we need to get Vic at least one top 5 caliber ILB.

From what I've heard, we should expect Safety to take priority over LB, even if we don't completely ignore it like we have at times.

46 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Wonder how they'll get them, because yeah need to add two inside alone..just assuming dean will be anything isn't wise.

Could see it being relatively small adds like Josey Jewell inside and Van Ginkel outside (who've been mentioned) then adding whatever falls to them at ILB or Edge in the draft. Seems like a Howie thing to do to try and plug those gaps.

Luvu from Carolina as a plused up Morrow

On 1/30/2024 at 8:18 PM, downundermike said:

It is not about saving money for saving moneys sake.
You have to get production even if you have to pay for it.

Gainwell, Reddick, Dickerson and Williams had good seasons.
They are integral parts of the lines/rotations.

McPhearson, Johnson and Rodgers are wild cards.
They are not prohibitively expensive to give a serious look-see first.

Maddox is an interesting case.
He is often injured and regardless of the amount of saving you have to consider that he can't help the club from the tub.

21 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

It is not about saving money for saving moneys sake.
You have to get production even if you have to pay for it.

Gainwell, Reddick, Dickerson and Williams had good seasons.
They are integral parts of the lines/rotations.

McPhearson, Johnson and Rodgers are wild cards.
They are not prohibitively expensive to give a serious look-see first.

Maddox is an interesting case.
He is often injured and regardless of the amount of saving you have to consider that he can't help the club from the tub.

Gainwell was just average, and McPhearson is poop water.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

Gainewell was JAG this last year, the only thing he's got going for him is he's the only guy under contract for us in 2024.

In his defense, he’s a good blocker. Also in his defense the running offense was infantile and inefficient

maybe Kellen can do better