Eagles likely retaining Nick Sirianni

Football_Bachelor08

I think that this is ultimately the correct move, as he's been extraordinary prior to the end of this season. I definitely feel like not just fans but many organizations have too short a memory sometimes. That said, if they are going to keep Sirianni, he needs to go out there and find himself a couple of experienced coordinators - it's safe to say that neither Brian Johnson nor the amalgamation of Desai & Patricia has worked out (rather predictably, in my opinion, but whatever).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

As they should. He went to a Super Bowl and then started this season 10-1. I have no idea what else you're expecting from a coach outside of winning the Super Bowl? 

I mean....not finishing 1-6?

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a bit too reactionary to fire the guy. But it's very obvious why it was a discussion in the first place. Things clearly fell off the rails the last two months or so there. Acting like he was great because he started 10-1 leaves out some very vital information.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think that this is ultimately the correct move, as he's been extraordinary prior to the end of this season. I definitely feel like not just fans but many organizations have too short a memory sometimes. That said, if they are going to keep Sirianni, he needs to go out there and find himself a couple of experienced coordinators - it's safe to say that neither Brian Johnson nor the amalgamation of Desai & Patricia has worked out (rather predictably, in my opinion, but whatever).

I do think this is the tough part with a coach like Sirianni. The Chiefs, the 49ers, the Rams, the Dolphins, they all kind of have the luxury of knowing the offense will always be there because the OC is borderline just an assistant to the guy who really runs that side of the ball. Might even be able to argue the same with a Mike Tomlin or Todd Bowles or Robert Saleh on the defensive side. Definitely Belichick, for defense. So really, you get those guys one good coordinator to handle the other side, and it feels like that's really most of what it takes to be super competitive. Pair Reid with Spags, McDaniel with Fangio, etc., and you have something awesome. This can still fall through, we've seen the Steelers and Jets struggle to find a competent OC. Packers have had DC issues. 49ers have had a good run of DCs but keep losing them, and eventually you run the risk of the next guy being a dud (like what happened in Philly.) But it's definitely easier to find one guy than two, and it feels like you need two with Sirianni.

Granted, could argue the same with Harbaugh, and I think that's been more successful than not. But it's definitely just a tougher task than when your HC can double as a guru on one side of the ball.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I do think this is the tough part with a coach like Sirianni. The Chiefs, the 49ers, the Rams, the Dolphins, they all kind of have the luxury of knowing the offense will always be there because the OC is borderline just an assistant to the guy who really runs that side of the ball. Might even be able to argue the same with a Mike Tomlin or Todd Bowles or Robert Saleh on the defensive side. Definitely Belichick, for defense. So really, you get those guys one good coordinator to handle the other side, and it feels like that's really most of what it takes to be super competitive. Pair Reid with Spags, McDaniel with Fangio, etc., and you have something awesome. This can still fall through, we've seen the Steelers and Jets struggle to find a competent OC. Packers have had DC issues. 49ers have had a good run of DCs but keep losing them, and eventually you run the risk of the next guy being a dud (like what happened in Philly.) But it's definitely easier to find one guy than two, and it feels like you need two with Sirianni.

Granted, could argue the same with Harbaugh, and I think that's been more successful than not. But it's definitely just a tougher task than when your HC can double as a guru on one side of the ball.

No objection to anything you said, I agree with everything more or less. We've definitely seen more managerial/motivational HCs be successful, though. I feel like a team in the Eagles' position shouldn't have a hard time attracting experienced assistant help.

He's had a great record but what exactly does he do to make the Eagles better? If he was some great Xs and Os guy then he wouldn't be reliant on his coordinators to the level he is. If he was a great motivator then the team wouldn't have rolled over the last 2 months. 

His record has been strong but if I were the Eagles I'd see this as an opportunity to upgrade at a spot that can lead to a SB. Don't just keep him for 1 more year because of the his record, you have to believe he is the best guy to lead the team to another SB. 

• Like 2

Philly’s regression was clear as day. Even when they were winning, it wasn’t like it was last season. The wheels fell off at the end, but Sirianni’s got a long enough chain where a bad second half of the season shouldn’t be a nail in his coffin.

How/if the team bounces back, with some ancillary personnel changes, will be how he proves his worth going forward.

The question is if them bringing him back is a sign that he didnt lose the locker room? Then if some players who didnt look all that inspired they will move on from?

Like this Eagles season was an epic collapse that we've never seen before. Even in their 10-1 start we still questioned them not looking right. Them doing enough to win. So if Sirriani comes back he has to get the right coordinators in place and the front office need to get the locker room back right. 

But its something for the Cowboys and Eagles to both bring back their head coaches after how both ended their seasons. The Cowboys not in the same fashion as the Eagles but still to not very bad. Both teams led by guys that are both uninspiring. 

This could be Brandon Staley 2.0 where the Chargers shouldve fired him last season but choose to bring him back and it was the same then they moved on from him this season. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The question is if them bringing him back is a sign that he didnt lose the locker room? Then if some players who didnt look all that inspired they will move on from?

Like this Eagles season was an epic collapse that we've never seen before. Even in their 10-1 start we still questioned them not looking right. Them doing enough to win. So if Sirriani comes back he has to get the right coordinators in place and the front office need to get the locker room back right. 

But its something for the Cowboys and Eagles to both bring back their head coaches after how both ended their seasons. The Cowboys not in the same fashion as the Eagles but still to not very bad. Both teams led by guys that are both uninspiring. 

This could be Brandon Staley 2.0 where the Chargers shouldve fired him last season but choose to bring him back and it was the same then they moved on from him this season. 

We've seen this plenty of times, the jaguars this year, ravens in 2012 and various other collapses over the decade.

I think you definitely give him a year to rebound and see if he can cook up some magic after a down year, great coaches do rebound after down years (Tomlin, Harbaugh, Reid, Bellicheck etc) Sirianni reminds me a lot of harbaugh, without good coordinators he's a great people guy and motivational guy but not an Xs and Os type of dude.

The fact matt patricia was the DC is legitimately stupid though. Should've been the offensive coordinator.

It's worth noting this is not necessarily decided yet. Nick has yet to meet with Lurie where he will lay out his plan to fix this mess that he created at the end of the year. Doug was given the same opportunity and when his plan was to promote Press Taylor he got let go. Here's to hoping his plan gets him axed as well.

If they run back this offensive staff with a new DC Sirianni will just be fired next year. Might as well get ahead of it now and bring someone new in than waste a year giving him a chance to figure it out. If they do fire BJ and magically the offense looks great again...... guess what is going to happen to that OC.....

Nick is a good guy. I don't dislike him. I am sure some of the players like him as well. That said the offensive scheming and the absolute lack of effort on defense was eye opening. I don't see how he gets this fixed and even if he does he clearly is going to be a guy that will HAVE to nail his coordinator hires consistently. Moving on from him just makes everything easier and the Eagles job is likely more attractive right now than it will be next year so we can attract a better candidate. Of course the grass isn't always greener... but this is just how I feel about it.

If we do retain him hopefully I am wrong and he gets it figured out. 

11 minutes ago, Xmad said:

We've seen this plenty of times, the jaguars this year, ravens in 2012 and various other collapses over the decade.

I think you definitely give him a year to rebound and see if he can cook up some magic after a down year, great coaches do rebound after down years (Tomlin, Harbaugh, Reid, Bellicheck etc) Sirianni reminds me a lot of harbaugh, without good coordinators he's a great people guy and motivational guy but not an Xs and Os type of dude.

The fact matt patricia was the DC is legitimately stupid though. Should've been the offensive coordinator.

It was epic in a sense that they were 10-1 but it didnt feel like a 10-1 team. They would be losing in the 1st half and only come from behind to win in the 2nd half in a close game. Then they went on to lose the rest of the games except for one and they barely won. They looked uninterested with the easiest schedule in the league at the end. And they played a Bucs team in the playoffs you can say was the easiest team to face and again they looked uninterested and got blown out. So yes it was an epic collapse that we've never seen before. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

The Steelers were 11-0 the Covid year. Finished 12-4 I think and then lost in the first round of the playoffs. We've seen collapses like this before. 

• Like 2