Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That's why I brought it up specifically, the biggest "failure" isn't even on him.  Seems like guys he's worked with generally like him.

He also coached Antonio Brown 3 years in College.

On the other hand, Jerry Jeudy has been a massive disappointment.

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

On the other hand, Jerry Jeudy has been a massive disappointment.

Jeudy has been interesting.  When you watch him he's done some really good things individually.  He seems to be getting the ball in situations where he isn't as open, then gets ignored when he actually wins.  I think he's kinda like Juju IMO where he's a "super-2" rather than the 1 that Denver has been using him as at times.

Here's an interesting thing to think of:

Jeudy 2023: 11 GS, 16 games, 87 targets, 54 catches, 758 yards, 2 TD, 47.4 yards per game, 62% catch%

Johnson 2023: 11 GS, 13 games, 87 targets, 51 catches, 717 yards, 5 TD, 55.2 yards per game, 59% catch%

Jeudy career: 57 games, 44 starts, 356 targets, 211 catches, 3053 yards, 11 TD, 54 yards per game, 59% catch%

Johnson career: 77 games, 67 starts, 639 targets, 391 catches, 4369 yards, 25 TD, 57 yards per game, 61% catch%

Jeudy per year: 89 targets, 53 catches, 763 yards, 3 TD

Johnson per year: 127 targets, 78 catches, 873 yards, 5 TD

I dunno what I'm showing here, but the real difference between Johnson and Jeudy looks to be just....opportunity.  Yet nationally and from our writers Johnson gets love as underrated and underappreciated, and Jeudy gets hate as a bust.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

That's why I brought it up specifically, the biggest "failure" isn't even on him.  Seems like guys he's worked with generally like him.

He also coached Antonio Brown 3 years in College.

Hamler had a heart issue which slowed his development. Eventually he was cleared to resume play.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

if Smith is responsible for cutting mitch, chuks, then this is a solid OC hire. Maybe we will get a C and OT  with first 2 picks in the draft next?

thank you Arthur

I would imagine this has a lot more to do with Khan/Weidl and your arch nemesis Tomlin. I doubt Smith had any input in this decision at all. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I would imagine this has a lot more to do with Khan/Weidl and your arch nemesis Tomlin. I doubt Smith had any input in this decision at all. 

Agreed, but I would assert that it was just basic organizational common sense, a decision likely made a while ago and based on performance of 3 disappointing players who don’t deserve their contracts. 

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In fairness, Khan and Weidl are the ones who foolishly extended Trubisky in the first place.   As much as I liked what they did last year, that one made no sense. 

7 hours ago, 43M said:

In fairness, Khan and Weidl are the ones who foolishly extended Trubisky in the first place.   As much as I liked what they did last year, that one made no sense. 

I wish I still had the tweet but that extension had no new money. All they did was take what was owed and moved it from one year to two. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 7:06 PM, 3rivers said:

if Smith is responsible for cutting mitch, chuks, then this is a solid OC hire. Maybe we will get a C and OT  with first 2 picks in the draft next?

thank you Arthur

tenor.gif

I almost thought you were going to give Tomlin some kudos for doing SOMETHING right. Way to go Arthur Smith! 🤣😂

27 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I almost thought you were going to give Tomlin some kudos for doing SOMETHING right. Way to go Arthur Smith! 🤣😂

For a decision like this to come this fast, all parties likely agreed in season to make this move.

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

In a move with speed like this it likely was a combination of them talking about making these moves in season of they don't have a long term future with the team.  When you cut players this fast too, it's usually the coach going to the GM and saying he's done with players X, Y, Z; would we be in financial trouble by letting them go; and the GM is the one that finalizes it. 

So as stated above, I think there was likely a moment where Tomlin asked that, the FO reminded him all 3 would be in the final year of their deals, and they agreed to pull the trigger sooner than later.

What's interesting about this timing is that it sends a message to the players on the team of "you aren't safe, we'll cut you if you aren't working out", but at the same time it's a sign of respect for these players.  Mitch and Chuks can go sign with anyone right now, so they have a head start on any other FA.  So if the Raiders with their $11mil in cap space want Chuks, they can offer him a deal right now and bring him in, then they aren't fighting with someone like Chicago who will have a ton more space in a few weeks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 43M said:

None of these things happen in a vacuum.  I would guess( but do not know), that Tomlin and the GMs have a meeting and things are brought up.  In the end, I think it is the Tomlin's decision but he needs Khan to say it can work for the cap.  Even keeping players it is the same.  We need to keep theses players can we fit it in the cap?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

None of these things happen in a vacuum.  I would guess( but do not know), that Tomlin and the GMs have a meeting and things are brought up.  In the end, I think it is the Tomlin's decision but he needs Khan to say it can work for the cap.  Even keeping players it is the same.  We need to keep theses players can we fit it in the cap?

But it really wasn't a 'new money' extension:

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1736916248737538421?s=20

It just changed his cap hit least year and spread out some money.

• Like 1