Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

12 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Makes absolutely no sense as none of the current coaches we brought in was a full time OC and play caller. All the guys being brought up are positional coaches so what are you talking about.

My take on this: Like the GM search, a lot of guys that they called in or are calling in, they are kicking the tires or doing due diligence.  My viewpoint would be to listen what he has to say. These interviews are not only to find an OC, but to tap into the process for correcting the offense.

Yet people are getting moist for run heavy Arthur Smith. 

People may be warming up to Arthur Smith based on the conversations surrounding him just interviewing. I believe that the Steelers want to talk to some of the more progressive OC's before they make a decision. There are some guys that they have not had a chance to speak to yet. More names will pop up as they are at the Senior Bowl and of course, after the SB.

He had major flaws in his system yet finished top 10 or higher 3 of the 4 years he served as OC. There are plenty of talented coaches who aren't getting hired or offered an opportunity. 

I think you also have to look at fit and style of offense. He had BA helping with the shape and dynamic of the offense quite a bit.  He also interviewed for some HC gigs as well.  We don't know what came out of this, but he didn't get a HC job nor do you hear a lot of teams mentioning him for positions/openings over the past few seasons. 

"Modern"? So McVay and Shanahan are the only modern day systems in the NFL? Be. Know. Do.

I don't know that modern is really the word. I think innovative/creative/unpredictable.

My questions are:

1. Can Byron help make Pickett, Mason, or another QB better?

2. Does his style of offense fit what the Steelers want to do or would it be better to change to his style?

3. Does he have plans to utilize the weapons on this team?

4. How do you jump start this offense?

These are just a few questions for any candidate. They obviously go much deeper. You have to do your homework before the interview.

I don't think it's anything against Byron. He was a Steeler, played for Mike Tomlin, won a SB ring here, and  knows the Steelers way.

I learned from when Tomlin was hired. I wanted Whiz or Grimm to be the HC.  They at least interviewed him. He went from the bottom to the top.

• Like 1

Modern as in a passing game that is not based in the 10's.  It is more of the patterns of getting your best players the ball rather than counting on them to always beat their man.  We see some of the modern style with the motion.  You could also add in RPO a lot.  If you watch the Colts offense they RPO on almost every play.  Less of a threat with Minshew but Richardson could really get that moving ( if he can read defenses).

Steelers could have done that with KP ( but KP is having issues reading defenses).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mwalker said:

From what I've read, the Steelers weren't 'considering' Byron.
No idea what the story is behind that.

His offense looked awful without Brady.  I also think that Arians' system relied more on receivers getting open than  scheme.  It worked under Ben with AB/Santonio/Plax but it also nearly ended Ben's career.

• Like 1

hopefully we hear a new name getting interviewed. I bet we have our new OC a week from now(unless they're targeting someone on the niners). hopefully they don't stop there.... I think that building needs more than one quality OC to fix that side of the ball

Edited by August4th

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Modern as in a passing game that is not based in the 10's.  It is more of the patterns of getting your best players the ball rather than counting on them to always beat their man.  We see some of the modern style with the motion.  You could also add in RPO a lot.  If you watch the Colts offense they RPO on almost every play.  Less of a threat with Minshew but Richardson could really get that moving ( if he can read defenses).

Steelers could have done that with KP (but KP is having issues reading defenses).

And getting beat up. As I said in a previous post, he has been getting walloped.  It's not just sacks and pressures, but more the clean hits he's taken. He's been hit from the left, right, and up the gut. He seemed to have lost his pocket presence and confidence.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

His offense looked awful without Brady. 

Honestly, most would without Brady. HUGE drop off in talent after Tom. Even with a QB who played his style. He was simply the best.

I also think that Arians' system relied more on receivers getting open than  scheme.  It worked under Ben with AB/Santonio/Plax but it also nearly ended Ben's career.

Facts, as they say. Part of the reason why they got rid of BA.  Ben is a bigger stronger guy, but he was getting killed. I would say that those hits took their toll, and we saw at the ennd of Ben's career, where his head could pick up on things better, but his body couldn't perform the same way. Ben himself said many times that his arm was not the issue as much as his legs and body. I saw Ben's game change after the hit he took from Neville Galimore in Dallas 2020. He was very fortunate that hit didn't blow his knee.  Nonetheless, he never seemed to be quite the same after that.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

hopefully we hear a new name getting interviewed.

I think you will hear more while the team is in Mobile, Alabama at the Senior Bowl. The media doesn't report or know about calls or invitations that were turned down as well. Not everyone that they may have reached out to may have been interested.

I bet we have our new OC a week from now (unless they're targeting someone on the niners).

I think that they definitely want to talk to Klint Kubiak.

hopefully they don't stop there.... I think that building needs more than one quality OC to fix that side of the ball.

For as much as we complain about the antiquated offense and system a lot of the offenses woes were due to poor player execution. Not many fans look at that, but look at the Lions vs. 49'ers game. Many say that it was Coach Campbell's decisions. I would have been more conservative with a lead and kept pressure on the 49'ers to make plays. However, the Lions simply got out-played in areas and beat themselves in others. Dropped passes, tipped balls that were not caught that could have been turnovers, etc. The Lions second half has been the Steelers offense for most of the past few seasons: Missed blocks, dropped passes, missed opportunities, bad breaks, etc. The scheme doesn't help, but you still need players to execute it.

• Like 3

Meh. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I do, however, loath the path they took to get here. Didn't try to get any of the Lions guys here this week. Didn't wait for the 49ers either. We hired a guy that was available 2 weeks go, took 2 weeks to interview him, and then....one and done, signed sealed and delivered. 

This is how small network teams keep small networks. 

Love what this means for our run game. Question what it means for our QB situation. Should be an adult in the room. 

Former HC that will run the offense. No one could have predicted that!

Wonder what this means for the rest of our staff now. 

• Like 4

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Meh. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I do, however, loath the path they took to get here. Didn't try to get any of the Lions guys here this week. Didn't wait for the 49ers either. We hired a guy that was available 2 weeks go, took 2 weeks to interview him, and then....one and done, signed sealed and delivered. 

This is how small network teams keep small networks. 

Love what this means for our run game. Question what it means for our QB situation. Should be an adult in the room. 

Former HC that will run the offense. No one could have predicted that!

Wonder what this means for the rest of our staff now. 

I’m so 50/50 on this as I’ve stated before.

1 minute ago, bigben07MVP said:

Can probably say goodbye to any Justin Fields scenarios now

Hello Tannehill…you’re the next contestant on “we need a bridge QB/competition for Pickett” show…