Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

7 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I saw that Darrel Bevell being linked to the Steelers.  Dolphins passing coordinator.

Him and Kubiak are my top two choices. Play calling experience. Good enough in their previous stops, learned more modern offenses, have histories of strong run games. 

• Like 1

I just remembered Mike Tomlin's hire after Coach Cowher retired. I don't remember everyone that they interviewed, but if I recall it came down to the big three:

1. Ken Whisenhunt

2. Russ Grimm

3. Mike Tomlin

During that time I remember Russ Grimm being my actual sentimental favorite, but Ken Whisenhunt being the guy that I thought would help the Steelers transition the best. An outside candidate came in and blew the minds of the ownership.  My point is that you never know what may come from the interview process. I thought the Steelers made a huge mistake at the time.  I was actually pissed one the incumbents didn't get the job. I am a true Steelers fan and support the name on the front of the jersey's more than the ones on the back.

Russ has never been a HC and retired as a great OL coach. Whiz was probably a better OC than HC and is now at the University of Alabama. You never know what you will get. So you talk to as many candidates that are out there.

Seventeen years later, Mike Tomlin haters will still say that they made the wrong choice too. 😁  😆

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Because we have not seen Mike Sullivan's offense.  I can't believe it is modern but we saw adjustments to Canada's playbook from Sullivan.

Sullivan isn’t that good. Look back to his NYG days. It’s a lot of verts with a crosser. 

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sullivan isn’t that good. Look back to his NYG days. It’s a lot of verts with a crosser. 

So many coaches get recycled so to speak. They do this as a career.  It is hard to accept change and innovation. Typically, that doesn't happen until you realize that you have no answers X and O's wise. It isn't a talent issue. It isn't an effort issue. It is just simply getting out coached from an innovation standpoint.

A few great scenes in the movie Remember the Titans also centered around the football philosophical differences between Coach Boone and Yoast. Those plays are from AA this is AAA. It's like Novocaine coach, just give it time. Coach, I sure could use your help, Ed Henry's kicking my butt.

Sometimes mixing it up from the usual, status quo, predictable is needed.  Success sometimes "prides us" into not wanting to change. "We won six Lombardi's."  Now fans are saying, "Yes, but that was a long time ago. We haven't won a play-off game since 2016 and that wasn't a great showing in Kansas City."

800full-remember-the-titans-(2000)-scree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Which is why I worry about recycled OCs.  Are they stuck in their playbook?

Jebrick, what is odd to me is that there are coaches clinics, seminars, coaches meetings, etc., and yet, so many are spinning their wheels with the status quo. 

Example: It took many shots (losses & a rip-off actually) before the Steelers could figure out the Patriots. No doubt Tom Brady was the GOAT, yet the Steelers always had trouble competing (this year included without Tom).  The Giants and Miami seemed to compete and do things the Steelers could not. Off-season, why not use that knowledge?

There is a fraternity among coaches so to speak. Again, why not do more information exchanges/learning? I am sure these guys do, but how much learning are you willing to do?

P.S. I actually got to meet the real Herman Boone at a coaching seminar in the DMV some years before he passed away.  I also met Willie Colon's OL coach from Hofstra. At the time, I think he had become a coach at the University of DE or DE State. I can't remember which university or his name.  Both of these men talked football inside and out of the break-out sessions. 

I forgot that Amos Zereoue's roommate/teammate at WVU was coaching HS football at a private school in D.C. St. John's I think, had some great conversations with me about the Steelers. I think I wore a Steelers jersey or T-shirt to the seminar and he introduced himself and invited me to one of his break-out sessions on RB's.   Sometimes its that easy. I thought that I knew more than enough to coach, but those men all left somethings in me that I could and have applied to my coaching, business, and life skills.

I was watching a piece breaking down the Steeler use of PA in the Bills game.  It was very informative and showed just how much they could have done had they used it more.  The Bills totally bit on the Steeler PA especially on 1st down.  They could come out in a 3 TE set and PA out of it.  Freimuth's big catch ( and fumble) were off of one such play.  They also showed them having great success running from a 3 Wr set as the Bills backed off expecting pass.  I think the Steelers use of PA ranked near the bottom in the NFL.

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I was watching a piece breaking down the Steeler use of PA in the Bills game.  It was very informative and showed just how much they could have done had they used it more.  The Bills totally bit on the Steeler PA especially on 1st down.  They could come out in a 3 TE set and PA out of it.  Freimuth's big catch ( and fumble) were off of one such play.  They also showed them having great success running from a 3 Wr set as the Bills backed off expecting pass.  I think the Steelers use of PA ranked near the bottom in the NFL.

This is what fans have been saying all year. Throwing out of obvious run formations and running out of pass formations would have solved a lot of our issues. Seems like professionals could have figured that out sooner. 

43 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

This is what fans have been saying all year. Throwing out of obvious run formations and running out of pass formations would have solved a lot of our issues. Seems like professionals could have figured that out sooner. 

You mean you should not be so deliberate and obvious and try and confuse and outthink your opponent? What a novel idea

Edited by C$!
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, August4th said:

They're interviewing Thomas Brown. He was the OC for the Panthers and part of the mcvay tree. 

2/2 on OC candidates coming from McVay tree. That’s a good sign. 

Maybe Brown is a candidate to replace Sullivan I would be pretty underwhelmed if he was the OC hire.