Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

21 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You eliminate potential very good OCs by asking this.  You are just getting coaches who have been fired as OC.

Or hired/promoted as HC's.

Not every firing is bad either. Sometimes its a HC change and him bringing in his own staff.  I don't think BA should have not been retained. The Steelers way of being fired. He didn't do anything to warrant not being resigned.  Be more of a coach and less of a buddy and apply some tough love and protect Ben from himself and let him get rid of the ball quicker. BA has worked with some of the best QB's in the NFL and all time. I am glad that it worked out for him, but he should not have been let go.  I understand and respect your point with others though. Just saying you have to look outside of the general "he was fired so he failed."  That is what most will immediately think. 

I also understand setting some minimum requirements going forward. He did this before and it didn't work FOR Mike Tomlin twice. Many wanted Coach Tomlin gone and those who have tried to support him at least wanted to see something different. Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing and expecting a different result. I will take his attempt to do something that makes sense for him differently than before.

58 minutes ago, jebrick said:

You eliminate potential very good OCs by asking this.  You are just getting coaches who have been fired as OC.

I’ve highlighted a bunch of guys that were OCs and went around learning elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I just hope it's a good one. I don't know enough about coaches to make any good calls on it. 

same here, I mainly wait until where they are situated and see how it goes with that cast.  It's always intriguing how a good coach can go somewhere else and it doesn't get near the results they expected.  So much goes into getting the offence to be good, a new OC hire alone might not get it going. 

what does everyone here thing about a new OC and the overall effect being on this existing roster? I was under the impression they need some help on the roster as well, but will  a good OC alone make that much of a difference? I see some ceiling limitations with some players and think there is only so much that can be done anyways especially if they march out there with moore and cole  and (first 3 quarters of a game)  KP. 

• Like 1

I definitely like Pep Hamilton as a candidate. He has experience working with QB's and has success as an OC and play caller. Armsteeld outlined more than enough background on Pep.  Again, many wanted him before Canada was promoted. He would be a good candidate as an OC to help get the Steelers a SB and a potential replacement for MT if he leaves within three years. Typically the Steelers go younger, but someone who might be a good HC candidate as well in a few years.  I personally think MT is shooting for 20 years and would hopefully win another SB. 

cwk1xygnh2ktu27p8aah

Other candidates that I like right now are:

gettyimages-1065231958.jpg?w=900

1. Frank Reich - - I said this in the off season before he was hired by Carolina.  I love his experience pedigree and offensive background as a player and coach. High character and no nonsense guy. A guy who I think is a better coordinator than a HC. There is nothing wrong with that. His experience, background and character make him one of my favorites.

faf34845987c4faeac11b4ea28385601.jpg?wid

2. Darrell Bevell - - Good experience and football mind. I don't know if the stupid pass call was his or Pete Carroll's on the GL that cost them a SB victory over the Patriots. That aside, he has balanced attacks, helped developed or got the most from QB's Brett Favre,  Russell Wilson, Tavaris Jackson, Gus Ferrotte, Matt Stafford, Trevor Lawrence, and Tua Tagovaloa to name a few. Experienced, battle tested, and can coach, play call, (save the Beast Mode on the one non call), and would bring some leadership in the offensive meetings.

jets-klint-kubiak-2.jpg?quality=75&strip

3. Klint Kubiak - - Young guy who has a football pedigree. Son of Gary Kubiak (Mike Shannahan tree) and worked under Bill Musgrave and Norv Turner.  He also worked with Kevin Stefanski. Has worked with Peyton Manning, Kurt Cousins, and Brock Purdy. Someone who could also become a HC down the road, but has a lot of quality football coaching tree's under his belt. He has bounced around and even had double stints in some places. Young guy who could learn some things from Mike Tomlin and also give some things about progressive offensive football. Potential HC down the road like Jerrod Mayo in my opinion. He is a guy who may be ready to take a HC job in a few years.  I think (my opinion no facts to support) MT may coach for 20 years or would potentially retire if he won a SB next year or the year after. May be appealing to a guy like Kubiak as the Steelers like to hire young guys (mid to late 30's) like that and let them grow as HC's. Did that with Noll, Cowher, and Tomlin.

shane.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

4. Shane Waldron - - Worked under Jay Gruden and Sean McVay as well as Pete Carroll. Gets credit for getting the most out of Geno Smith a former #2 pick that never seemed to live up to his expectations and was said to have been rushed in New York a la Pickett and Rudolph in Pittsburgh. Extremely confident OC and he did damage against the Steelers this year. 

All of these guys would bring positive changes to the Steelers offense and help the young QB or QB's develop.

19 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

does the OC also bring the OL coach?

I thought the OL from last year  regressed this year . Jones is new and was the difference in the run game.  

I think there may be changes before that is made. It may be interesting if the team allowed the OC some input into the staff. The Steelers have either thee smallest or one of the smallest staff's in the NFL. It may be time to add some voices in the meeting rooms and planning on both sides of the ball. I would be calling Mike Munchak to see if I could get him back as an Assistant HC and OL coach or quality control at the least. They need guys like this. One reason why I like Frank Reich as well (HC experience).

4 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I think there may be changes before that is made. It may be interesting if the team allowed the OC some input into the staff. The Steelers have either thee smallest or one of the smallest staff's in the NFL. It may be time to add some voices in the meeting rooms and planning on both sides of the ball. I would be calling Mike Munchak to see if I could get him back as an Assistant HC and OL coach or quality control at the least. They need guys like this. One reason why I like Frank Reich as well (HC experience).

exactly, everything you said.

Until then, rinse and repeat

Would Munchak get more salary as assistant HC and OL coach than he did before?

Reich too,  seems an obvious candidate to me

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

So much goes into getting the offence to be good, a new OC hire alone might not get it going. What does everyone here think about a new OC and the overall effect being on this existing roster?

We have been saying the offensive scheme itself is stale. The play calling is not creative. Look at some of the game threads where many of us are calling more creative plays (I am not being arrogant or embellishing here). The middle of the field not being used. No throws to the TE Muth, Washington, and Heyward. Pickens ignored completely in games. The rushing attack abandoned and not balanced. No play action passing under center when the run game is effective. There are tons of other examples. It is easy to point to lack of QB production, but truthfully, Kenny, Mitch, and Mason where not always put in the best situations to succeed. The INT in the 2016 game in the redzone against the Chiefs should have been considered. Especially down 14-0. Pound the dang ball. Big Ben did that when Bell had already run for over 100 yards in the first quarter and a half.

I was under the impression they need some help on the roster as well, but will  a good OC alone make that much of a difference?

Absolutely not. One without the other doesn't work. We didn't get a SB with Ben, AB, and Bell. Granted one of them where typically hurt during the play-offs and I believe that only 2017 was a year we had them all healthy at the same time.

I see some ceiling limitations with some players and think there is only so much that can be done anyways especially if they march out there with moore and cole  and (first 3 quarters of a game)  KP.

Moore is not a bad guy to keep on the roster as a swing OT and back-up. I think it is time to move on from Mason and I like him as a teammate, but not starter or even back-up. You have to give the OC tools to work with. Everyone is down on KP, but realistically he will respond as Najee did with proper coaching, game plan, blocking, a run game, and pass protection. People will respond to Pickett the same way, they suddenly said that Najee started running hard. No! Najee got blocking to help him run hard. Give Najee blocking and he can dominate as he showed. Even with the inconsistent OL, Najee had more 20 + rushing games than he did his first two seasons.

He also has Warren to take the edge off and offer a great balance. What OC would not be excited to use these guys together, separately, and to build the run game around?

8 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Would Munchak get more salary as assistant HC and OL coach than he did before?

Reich too,  seems an obvious candidate to me

I have no idea what they would ask or command, but whatever, pay them. There is no salary cap for assistants and coaches.  The name of the game is winning.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I’ve highlighted a bunch of guys that were OCs and went around learning elsewhere. 

And I highlighted some that might be more innovative in their play design than old hat.

• Like 2

If the Steelers want Reich, they have to reach out aggressively now, as it appears that Philly is reaching out already and understandably. 

Philly is a less healthy situation than Pittsburgh right now, though, if you can believe that. I know they are better off at QB, but their culture had the biggest collapse in NFL history.

Edited by rlon

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

And I highlighted some that might be more innovative in their play design than old hat.

So you would take Bevell and Kubiak off your list? I think that would be very short sighted.