Who do you want as the Steelers new Offensive Coordinator?

52 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Honestly my bigger fear is a fun based PA offense is going to make us think Kenny is better than he is and we keep/extend him. Smiths offense feels built to make a bad QB look better through bigger passing lanes and levels reads. 

This does bring us back to the 04 playbook with heavy PA.

18 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Depending how much you trust Dulac, he’s claiming Mike Sullivan will be back as QB coach unless he’s an OC somewhere else.

He is also saying no Munchak either.

Edited by Blitzburgh

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

2. He may be able to bring Munchak back. The fact that Munchak believes in his offense so much is encouraging to get him back in the Burg coaching.  I have been wanting Munch back for a few years.  His style, his presence, leadership and respect is needed on that side of the ball.

this could be the most important offseason development , if they can get Munchak back.  Still need talent on the ol at OT and C . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, August4th said:

the OL part is what could make this hire.  He has a history of being  on teams with good OL play and rushing attacks, so why not continue?  Hoping for the best   but what do people here think overall? Some critics will bring up how he never got improved QB play in Atlanta, but was that inevitable because of lack of talent anyways? 

48 minutes ago, AFF said:

Dulac reporting Sullivan will be back as QB coach…sigh

That's a mistake. What did the QBs gain from him? The best guy on the roster pre-dates him...

I saw a mention from Dulac for keeping him that was "the QB's love him". That's the worst reason to hire/keep a guy. This isn't a friendship circle, it's an NFL team. Sometimes I think the Steelers forget that. 

Kenny regressed. 

Trubisky regressed. 

The best QB was the guy everyone thought was the worst of the bunch.

Nice guy. Crap coach.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this could be the most important offseason development , if they can get Munchak back.  Still need talent on the ol at OT and C . 

I definitely agree.  He needs talent to work with, but he got the most out of some guys who were cast-offs and made Big Al a solid LT.  Signing Munchak makes this OC signing a lot stronger. Munchak has certainly proven his worth as an OL "whisperer." 😉😆

20 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I definitely agree.  He needs talent to work with, but he got the most out of some guys who were cast-offs and made Big Al a solid LT.  Signing Munchak makes this OC signing a lot stronger. Munchak has certainly proven his worth as an OL "whisperer." 😉😆

what do you think of the OL and Meyer's  progress? It seems to me they regressed.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

If he brings Munch back, I will gladly go sit with Baby in the corner and keep my mouth shut.

You and me both. We have seen what Munch can do. I mentioned Big Al, but he also got the most out of Chuks when he was the OL coach. I wanted this move regardless of who the OC was. I have been hearing that Munch loves being on Arthur Smith's staff.👍

I don't HATE this hire....it just feels like another "status quo" move from a team that desperately needs to break free of that.

I agree and I just had hoped that they at least talked to more candidates as they did in the GM process. It seemed to help them and it helped bring Andy Weidl onto the staff. Maybe they also get another QB coach from this as they are already moving on from Mike Sullivan.  I am hoping there is an outside hire there rather than promoting one of the assistants on staff.  It feels like they just need some new blood and fresh ideas.  Arthur Smith doesn't seem new/fresh, etc. And honestly, he really could be. It just doesn't feel that way.

If we bring in another QB....I may get SLIGHTLY more excited....but I don't believe he is anything close to the QB guru he is made out to be just because Tannehill resurrected his career under him.   

See above. We are on the same page there as well. I think both Pickett and Mason would benefit. Not thinking of Mason as a savior, but a player who is maturing and hitting his stride. With the expanded season and games, you really need a solid back-up.

I do not believe he can work his magic with our current QBs, and I don't believe he brings any fresh offensive concepts to the table.   That was one of Falcons fans biggest issues with him.

I accept that he doesn't feel like the magic man at OC.

I think he was not a great HC more than OC. Dave Ragone was the OC, and while everyone say's, "It's the HC's fault." Ultimately a HC can't be there to deal with every minute detail on all three phases. That falls on the OC.  You can make suggestions, inject ideas, concepts, etc, but you expect your coaches  and coordinators to run it and fix it.

I think his system does suit our players and style that Mr. Rooney has been asking for from the Steelers for the past several years. I think Pickett can revive himself and regain his confidence and swagger by having a more balanced attack. He is not ready to take on carrying an offense. However, like Goff in Detroit, I can see Pickett becoming a solid system QB who can have success throwing and even putting up points because of a strong run game.  We have discussed that many times here, how I have always said the OL needs to be much better and give these RB's some holes. Najee looked good when he had blocking and Jalen's explosive style is the perfect compliment for both.  They can give defenses fits. If the passing game can utilize Pickens' big play ability, they can light it up. We have seen that with Mason at QB and a strong rushing attack.  

But hey....again, Id love to be proven dead wrong.   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Arthur Smith....feed me that crow.

Agreed. I really didn't see this coming and also drank the Kool Aid that the Steelers would do something very un-Steeler like in this hiring role.

th?id=OIP.PavL2B8-lDNi884y-0dI_QHaE8&pid

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Addition
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rivers said:

what do you think of the OL and Meyer's  progress? It seems to me they regressed.

I am going to use Alex Kozora's line, "I was just whelmed by him."  Honestly he did some good things kind of reviving it later in the season, but if you recall early on I was ll over the OL and calling them out for their poor and inconsistent play. 

People tried to say, well they played really good defenses early on. Yeah, that is why we needed the OL to at least match physicality. While Matt Canada was getting killed for play design, I kept saying a lot was the offenses execution and that started up front. 

Daniels and Seumalu struggled mightily. I won't even mention your too favorites in Chuks and Mason "bad snaps" Cole.  Truthfully, Dan Moore was a starter more out of lack of talent than being that good. He does have a mean streak and will compete, but just doesn't have the tools needed to be a solid starter at this point. Hey maybe Munchak can do something there?

If I had to offer an objective grade it would be a whelming C.

I will also add that you were right and I was wrong on the OC decision. I didn't see this coming at all.

4 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I am going to use Alex Kozora's line, "I was just whelmed by him."  Honestly he did some good things kind of reviving it later in the season, but if you recall early on I was ll over the OL and calling them out for their poor and inconsistent play. 

People tried to say, well they played really good defenses early on. Yeah, that is why we needed the OL to at least match physicality. While Matt Canada was getting killed for play design, I kept saying a lot was the offenses execution and that started up front. 

Daniels and Seumalu struggled mightily. I won't even mention your too favorites in Chuks and Mason "bad snaps" Cole.  Truthfully, Dan Moore was a starter more out of lack of talent than being that good. He does have a mean streak and will compete, but just doesn't have the tools needed to be a solid starter at this point. Hey maybe Munchak can do something there?

If I had to offer an objective grade it would be a whelming C.

I will also add that you were right and I was wrong on the OC decision. I didn't see this coming at all.

agree on all this.  The Smith hire just seemed like a tomlin hire for some reason. The younger passing minds went elsewhere but tomlin kicked the tired to make it look legit .

See how it goes,  no idea what to expect with this team. It can't be worse than last year, or better not be. Imagine if that happens? I do expect a better OL play because of Smith and the draft.

• Like 1