Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not think anyone would see him as the best coach but possibly people who really want Bisaccia with how it turned out could see AP as the best choice.  Think about if we did not hire AP and brought in another coach that failed.  People would be calling for Mark to sell the team.  He was almost forced to bring back AP.  I think it was Mark's best option to try and retain the fanbase and players.

I hate the uninformed majority.  Just a bunch of casuals who liked that he wore black sneakers and shouted Raiders over and over again.  The guy better succeed.  Because black sneakers and shouting Raiders aren't enough to win games.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Point me in the direction of someone saying this.  I'm pretty frequent on here but I don't think anyone said that.

I'm asking this to the forum, who on this forum said they fully supported the AP hire and that it was there #1 choice?  Please respond.  I'm just trying to get a feel for how many people are on the AP wagon.

Right now I think there are a lot of things that have to go right in order for AP to succeed.  GM, OC (and offensive staff), draft, free agency.  A lot.

Ncoughman, Agarcia, RonJon, Jeremy408, BuckSavage among others lol

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Agreed. It was very much dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. We have to hope he continues his successes, gets a strong OC in, and pray our new GM can find a QB. 

I have a lot of hope. When he took over I was very against him as an option, but after watching those 9 games he turned my head a little bit and showed a lot of things we can realistically be hopeful for. 

Unless you hired Harbaugh and Dodds, then you’re on track to contention. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ncoughman, Agarcia, RonJon, Jeremy408, BuckSavage among others lol

I’m not ashamed I think pierce deserved the job. He turned jmdz water to Carlo Rossi. While jmdz was thought to be the next iconic hc/gm combo. Imo pierce is a better hc than jmd so imo pierce is a upgrade. 

I’m old skoo bird in the hand worth 2 in the bush. We don’t even know if harbs will leave mich. We don’t know how any other hc would’ve been. But we know pierce can get you to 5-4 as a rookie hc basically learning on the fly. Imo that’s impressive. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I hate the uninformed majority.  Just a bunch of casuals who liked that he wore black sneakers and shouted Raiders over and over again.  The guy better succeed.  Because black sneakers and shouting Raiders aren't enough to win games.

Casual Raider fan think they are part of the team. If a guy has a background with the Raider, said he was a Raider fan growing up or has some sort of deemed Raider swag, then they get so hype off that person. 

AP is looks, sounds and acts like he's from Raiders central casting. I've never seen a guy who's done so little in his coaching career have such fever pitch over his prospects as a head coach.

If he doesn't succeed, it will be interesting watching people walk this hiring back. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Casual Raider fan think they are part of the team. If a guy has a background with the Raider, said he was a Raider fan growing up or has some sort of deemed Raider swag, then they get so hype off that person. 

AP is looks, sounds and acts like he's from Raiders central casting. I've never seen a guy who's done so little in his coaching career have such fever pitch over his prospects as a head coach.

If he doesn't succeed, it will be interesting watching people walk this hiring back. 

Who in here is supporting pierce over his gear? That’s hella weak bp

all I hear people say is

-better than jmd

-not afraid to make roster changes

-#1 defense after he took over

-signature wins vs kc and chargers 

-almost took a 3-5 team with a 4th round rookie qb and a inexperienced rookie oc to the playoffs 

who said they support pierce cause of his gear or any other materialistic things 

• Like 3

AP did more than I thought he would with our rag tag roster.  That's the good news.  More good news is now he and whatever GM and staff he ends up with have an opportunity to build off of that "overachieving".  The defense isn't nearly as good as some on here want to believe, but I'm definitely happy with the improvement and hope they continue that trend.

The bad news.  The GM and staff options don't appear to be overly promising.  Even if they're decent, you then have to move onto player acquisition.  This team still needs a lot of help.  Starting with QB.  Everything else is negotiable, but without a QB we are a team that can't be expected to be anything more than mediocre.

As it currently stands, I'd still make a prediction of somewhere around last years 6-11 prediction that I had.  This team is just not good overall.  Winning more than a couple of games that they probably shouldn't have doesn't change anything for me. Credit to AP and the players for pulling out as many wins as they did, but the ball could've easily bounced in the other direction in 6 of our 8 wins.  

Free agency and the draft will be very telling for this organization going forward.  To be fair, I'd have these same concerns with whoever we had hired to be next years HC.  Too many questions left unanswered at this point in time.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

all I hear people say is

-better than jmd

-almost took a 3-5 team with a 4th round rookie qb and a inexperienced rookie oc to the playoffs 

who said they support pierce cause of his gear or any other materialistic things 

I don't think anyone will flat out admit they did, but there are a few- here, YouTube, elsewhere. 

There are a lot of people going to bat for AP beyond any logical reason. 

I went to bat for him plenty. I'd like to think that most of the points I bothered to make were at least valid points as there was some good, some bad, and some points I'm indifferent about. Nobody can rightfully say I didn't want AP at some level- it's on record that he was, for the most part, second only to Harbaugh and Johnson for me. 

But a lot of people put absolute blinders on for AP and outright reject any valid criticisms or concerns of his. They rarely, if ever, support their arguments beyond "the culture" and his "locker room support". Those are cool ancillary traits, but they're not coaching traits. Thus, it boils down to the "cool" factor, which is what BP is alluding to, I believe. 

There is a lot of disingenuous stuff out there about AP as our HC target and the eventual hire. Like I said, I like him, but let's be frank: he is indeed mostly a rah-rah guy. Dan Campbell is proving that those types can absolutely succeed, especially when they have good coordinators. Jack del Rio was the same way for much of his tenure in Jacksonville and Oakland. I'm cool going in that direction, particularly because the last time we really seemed on the verge of consistent building and success was under JDR. For whatever reason, like with Bissacia, that type of structure seems to work for us. But a spade is a spade, yet a lot of people absolutely seem hell bent on rejecting the rah-rah label for AP and labeling him as far more than he ultimately is. 

It's very much my criticism of Chump Kelly- though AP has actually proven at least somewhat competent at his job. But it's why I keep saying that AP can't succeed with Chump, and Chump is too much of a bum to succeed without a great coach and totalitarian structure in place for him to be more of a Mayock/Zeigler type. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

all I hear people say is

-better than jmd

Go to Twitter.  There are countless fans who are buying the same shoes he wore in support of his hire.  There are fans who are super excited because he's black.  Go to Twitter and you'll see it all.

I'm pretty sure BP was referencing the same thing.  I certainly wasn't referencing fans from this forum.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

What did I supposedly say

NYRaider listed your name when I asked him who said the below:

I was told every elite coach in the league would be lining up and begging to coach under AP?

28 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't think anyone will flat out admit they did, but there are a few- here, YouTube, elsewhere. 

There are a lot of people going to bat for AP beyond any logical reason. 

I went to bat for him plenty. I'd like to think that most of the points I bothered to make were at least valid points as there was some good, some bad, and some points I'm indifferent about. Nobody can rightfully say I didn't want AP at some level- it's on record that he was, for the most part, second only to Harbaugh and Johnson for me. 

But a lot of people put absolute blinders on for AP and outright reject any valid criticisms or concerns of his. They rarely, if ever, support their arguments beyond "the culture" and his "locker room support". Those are cool ancillary traits, but they're not coaching traits. Thus, it boils down to the "cool" factor, which is what BP is alluding to, I believe. 

There is a lot of disingenuous stuff out there about AP as our HC target and the eventual hire. Like I said, I like him, but let's be frank: he is indeed mostly a rah-rah guy. Dan Campbell is proving that those types can absolutely succeed, especially when they have good coordinators. Jack del Rio was the same way for much of his tenure in Jacksonville and Oakland. I'm cool going in that direction, particularly because the last time we really seemed on the verge of consistent building and success was under JDR. For whatever reason, like with Bissacia, that type of structure seems to work for us. But a spade is a spade, yet a lot of people absolutely seem hell bent on rejecting the rah-rah label for AP and labeling him as far more than he ultimately is. 

It's very much my criticism of Chump Kelly- though AP has actually proven at least somewhat competent at his job. But it's why I keep saying that AP can't succeed with Chump, and Chump is too much of a bum to succeed without a great coach and totalitarian structure in place for him to be more of a Mayock/Zeigler type. 

I don’t think he’s a rah rah guy and pierce even mentioned how silly it is for people to question his X’s and O’s.

He’s a player who’s succeeded at the highest level as the captain. Imo lbs esp ilbs are the qbs of the defense and their cerebral capacity imo is greatly underrated. 

i admit I know nothing about Kelly 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Go to Twitter.  There are countless fans who are buying the same shoes he wore in support of his hire.  There are fans who are super excited because he's black.  Go to Twitter and you'll see it all.

I'm pretty sure BP was referencing the same thing.  I certainly wasn't referencing fans from this forum.

Black Air Forces?

in my community we been wearing those when pierce was still playing in the nfl.

I’m not on twitter so I can’t speak on that but I knew this would come up. I could always flip that race dynamic backward and say some just hate pierce because of his race and say if it was bill romo people would think differently. I don’t see race in this I’d support romo too if he did what pierce did.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 2