As A Bears Fan I want 7 Picks On Offense

mdonnelly21

I know a majority of people will disagree with this. And it's probably not going to happen but...

I've been watching the Bears since 2003 when I started watching football. I think since then we may have had 1 or 2 seasons of being a top 5-10 offense in the league. 

I'm taking 7 picks in the draft on offense and not even thinking twice about it. 

WORDS cannot even express how sick and tired I am as a Bears fan thinking "OUR OFFENSE LET US DOWN." again.....(Insert Bill Murray Photo from Ground Hogs Day) 

1st Round: 

Trade down to 3 grab another 2nd and 3rd. And next years 1st. 

Pick #1.3: Draft Marvin Harrison Jr. 

Pick #1.9: Use our 2rd to move up to around #6 and draft Malik Nabers 

2nd round: Draft the best available Center 

3rd round: Draft the best available guard. 

3rd round pick: Draft best available LT. 

4th round pick: Draft best available guard. 

5th round pick: Draft best available Center.  

6th round pick: Draft best available Block guard. 

7th round pick. Draft best available Offensive Linemen. 

We should also use our free agency money to give Jaylen Johnson long term money. And spend the rest of locking down either Center or Left Guard. 

This gives Fields 3 WRS, DJ Moore, Marvin Harrison Jr and Malik Nabers. Someone of these 3 is getting 1-1s and probably against the worse of the secondary. 

This gives Fields almost NO excuses. At MINIMUM we have a very young pool of talent on the offensive line along with whoever we sign in Free Agency. 

Yes, it's extreme. Yes, it's probably not going to happen. Yes, we Bears fans will be talking about our offense being our downfall. 

• Like 1

Most of my current Bears mocks are similarly overwhelmingly offensive based....

The only spot I currently really hesitate on is Edge Rusher at 9.... I like Dallas Turner at Edge, and I'm not as high on Odunze as most (have him in the tier with Brian Thomas below Nabers).... I'd probably get the pass rusher at 9 if he's there....else I'd probably look to take a trade down and gain another pick.

I'd add nearly every single draft I make also has be punting next year's first to get back in this draft and get another offfensive talent.  Someone like Troy Franklin in the early 2nd would be ideal as a "#3" (DJ Moore obv #1, but I think we need a real "X" like Odunze/Thomas as a #2....). That kind of combination would imo get the most out of Franklin, who I don't expect to be a high volume guy, so much as the "big chunk play" guy.

and FWIW: in the draft sims I value Fields-trade at about pick ~40-50.... If we get more for him, that obviously makes this much easier.... Best case scenario, imo is Pittsburgh at 20.

Philosophically speaking, I think one of the single greatest blunders of this past season was dedicating so many resources into completely overhauling the Bears' defense, when the entire goal of the season should have been revamping the OFFENSE, in order to better make a determination on Fields. We are now out of time on Fields, and imo FORCED to take the swing on Caleb (though I also have Caleb as my third best QB since 2013 as a prospect, behind only Burrow and Mahomes)..... And not wanting to repeat the mistakes of the last season, we absolutely must put Caleb in a situation to where he can attempt to find some success offensively, even if it means a potential defensive regression or stagnation that might ultimately knock us out of any hypothetical playoff run (which a wildcard slot would be about the expected ceiling in year 1 regardless)

Edited by Epyon

If the Bears are keeping Fields, then it's relatively simple. Upgrade the offensive coaching, add a couple of solid vets in free agency, then use some high draft picks after the tradedown on playmakers. 

If the team uses pick 1 on a QB, then it's a bit trickier. Agree that offense has to be the focus this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I thought the Bears only had 6 picks in the up coming draft?

6 picks before:

A. Fields is traded OR Pick #1 is traded

B. There might still be a shot Cunningham gets a GM job, in which case we get a 3rd comp pick as part of a NFL diversity program. He's had multiple interviews for 2 years now, and actually turned down a job last year. Haven't been paying enough attention to know if there's any other GM positions still open or if he's a candidate/finalist for those though.... I know one of the jobs he was a "finalist" for this year he already didn't get.

6 minutes ago, Epyon said:

6 picks before:

A. Fields is traded OR Pick #1 is traded

B. There might still be a shot Cunningham gets a GM job, in which case we get a 3rd comp pick as part of a NFL diversity program. He's had multiple interviews for 2 years now, and actually turned down a job last year. Haven't been paying enough attention to know if there's any other GM positions still open or if he's a candidate/finalist for those though.... I know one of the jobs he was a "finalist" for this year he already didn't get.

Who is going to trade Chicago for the #1 pick overall and what does Chicago get out of it then?  Outside of Washington, New England or Atlanta not sure any team trades up to get Caleb Williams.  Even Washington or New England, one of those two will get Drake Maye so not sure why they would trade up unless they love Caleb Williams and with how his year went not sure they would do that instead of just sitting and waiting for Drake Maye.  Or Atlanta sitting and waiting for Jaydon Daniels.  

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Who is going to trade Chicago for the #1 pick overall and what does Chicago get out of it then?  Outside of Washington, New England or Atlanta not sure any team trades up to get Caleb Williams.  Even Washington or New England, one of those two will get Drake Maye so not sure why they would trade up unless they love Caleb Williams and with how his year went not sure they would do that instead of just sitting and waiting for Drake Maye.  Or Atlanta sitting and waiting for Jaydon Daniels.  

Thera plenty of teams that need a QB.. 

It only takes one to think Caleb is the real deal and that Maye is a considerable risk. 

That said, my own personal opinion is that Chicago would be absolutely stupid to pass on drafting Caleb, in order to run things back with Fields again. Fields has great highlights, but his overall play is bottom tier. As for Williams, I have him graded as the #3 qb prospect since 2013, behind only Burrow and Mahomes (in that order). 

15 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Thera plenty of teams that need a QB.. 

It only takes one to think Caleb is the real deal and that Maye is a considerable risk. 

That said, my own personal opinion is that Chicago would be absolutely stupid to pass on drafting Caleb, in order to run things back with Fields again. Fields has great highlights, but his overall play is bottom tier. As for Williams, I have him graded as the #3 qb prospect since 2013, behind only Burrow and Mahomes (in that order). 

Coming out of college since 1998, I would have Caleb Williams behind these guys at QB.  

Peyton Manning
Trevor Lawrence
Andrew Luck
Mike Vick
Joe Burrow
Eli Manning
Jameis Winston
Tua Tagovailoa
Cam Newton
Drew Brees
Matthew Stafford

Patrick Mahomes, easy to say now but at the time it was right on the line of gimmick offense and again at the time no Mike Leach air raid system QB was successful in the NFL.  Clearly Mahomes changed that and the game in general has changed with the rules to focus completely on the QB and Mahomes has greatly succeeded in the Chiefs stable well ran organization.   Real curious would be if he was drafted by Cleveland at the time would he be this good or not?   I did not think he would at the time because of that air raid QB track record which is totally changed now and that is all anyone really runs honestly in college.  Granted Winston I had way overrated and same with Tua and Cam arguably.  Drees and Stafford arguably were more promising coming out of college than Caleb Williams as well.   The biggest knock on Caleb especially this past year is he did not win and win big like he was expected.  Then again his supporting cast was not great but he does tend to try to do too much by himself but he had to on that roster.  

Just looking back till 2013, would be real hard to take Caleb Williams over Trevor Lawrence at the time, sure he has kind of not done great in the league but coming out of Clemson he was big time as a prospect.  And Josh Allen with that pro day performance, not sure Caleb Williams will put on a show like that and really I will wait till the Pro day performance and combine workout.  Could argue not sure he is a pure guy ahead of these players either, even if Watson being the biggest dirt bag of a person ever, coming out of Clemson he was very promising, Matt Ryan was a dude on BC, Carson Palmer super talented QB same with Jay Cutler and his arm talent.  Not sure where I would rate Caleb against them but maybe he would be behind them also but most likely would be in the middle between the guys above and these guys below.  

Matt Ryan
Byron Leftwitch
Carson Palmer
Jay Cutler
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson

Still not sure Caleb Williams is indeed that rare of a talent but we will see more in the pre draft workout.  Is he better than Justin Fields, probably.  Still who would be all in on Fields and what would they trade for him, I do not know.  If Caleb Williams was put into a situation like the Chiefs organization with a HC like Andy Reid, he could be a great pro but with the wrong group who knows.  He needs a great OL that is for sure so he can become a better pocket passer, because he cannot just scramble all over and throw the ball wildly and do that play after play.  He needs to be able to make simple plays to move the football, but not sure the Bears situation is a KC Chiefs situation because the OL coaching/development is not there much less the OC history and coaching of Andy Reid is not there either.  

Fields is not a great distributor of the ball. Only 3 of his receivers got 40 or more targets IIRC. I doubt his ability to feed all of those receivers when you combine that with his inability to get rid of the ball quickly.

They could waste a year figuring what's already known (That he's not very good) OR they could just go all in for a Kirk Cousins, or Mayfield and take out the guess work involved. Both represent sizable upgrades over Fields (Not that I actually believe Mayfield is going anywhere, or Cousins would be moved to a rival. I'm just saying for conversation purposes).

Also I get that this is a "mutually beneficial trade" for the Bears & Pats because the Bears want MHJ and the Pats want Williams, but the return is pretty light. It's shortchanging the rarity of a QB Prospect that's being hyped up by the NFL Community as a once/twice in a decade type of player being available to trade for (Which is pretty mich never, that I can think of). Regardless of anyone's personal feelings about him, that's the chatter. If I were the Bears the ole reliable Jimmy Johnson value chart has to go into the trash can. Price would have to be fixed at a minimum of 2 first round picks, or their Poker face sucks. I imagine them getting some crazy offers.

The price has to match the rarity and absurdity of a QB prospect of this level being available (Again whether anyone as an individual believes he's THAT good or not). Can you imagine some team trading out of the opportunity to draft Magic, or Shaq, or Lebron, or Wemby? For practicality purposes maybe this is more like the Oden/Durant draft, but even still. The idea is if you get a shot to draft a guy with unicorn type of potential, there's not really a traditional price you can put on that. Food for thought.

Edited by BBLXIX

I just don't see why you get so many WRs for a QB that can't get over 400 attempts up in a year. Either he is injured or he has tunnel vision way too much. Getting him MHJ and Nabers would be awesome on paper to pair with Moore but Fields isn't running the Greatest Show of Turf. He will run an offense that is at almost completely balanced between running and passing, because he is more of a consistent threat as a runner than a passer. Dude has a TON of arm talent and makes 2-3 wow throws almost every game, but he just flubs too many easy reads and throws to consistently march downfield. I don't believe he processes quickly/well enough to be a legitimate passing threat, but in a Greg Roman style offense he can be productive. 

If doubling down at WR is the plan then I would hope the Bears would trade down and focus on getting future picks primarily, that way for 2025 they can have plenty of capital to trade up and get the potential franchise QB. Getting a QB in with that trio, Kmet, and Johnson would be a hell of a cushion for him. That being said if Fields plays as erratic as last year with these weapons not only is he out and worthless in the trade market (assuming 5th year option gets picked up) but Poles likely has to fight for his job too if Williams or Maye plays well. If he is in Warren's good graces for building the team up enough then the new HC at least would get to pick his QB. Looking at the prospects for next year though I am really unimpressed. A lot can change though, and it always seems like someone pops out of the woodwork too, but I think Williams is just too good of a prospect to pass on right now and Fields' will never have a higher market than he does right now (not that its sky high anyway). I know people say his supporting cast wasn't great outside of two guys but I think he failed to elevate talent more so. Mooney did better with Tru who had ARob as the WR1 to take pressure off him. Moore >>> ARob, and Mooney had Kmet taking more pressure off too. Mooney DID get open more than his stats show, and he was missed on open throws several times too. Fields' accuracy is lethal on his best days and basically buckshot on most others. 

@Ozzy I will vouch for Epyon on the Mahomes love. Me, him and 1-2 others were leading the Mahomes train. I had major reservations about him being in an offense led by Loggains with Fox running the team, but I was still bitter about Arians not getting the HC gig previously too. Would Mahomes be the guy we see now? No, but he'd be a hell of a lot better still than anything Chicago has ever had by a large margin. Honestly I believe if you drop him into the 2018 Bears then there is no doubt there is a Super Bowl berth, even with Nagy being Nagy. 

59 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I just don't see why you get so many WRs for a QB that can't get over 400 attempts up in a year. Either he is injured or he has tunnel vision way too much. Getting him MHJ and Nabers would be awesome on paper to pair with Moore but Fields isn't running the Greatest Show of Turf. He will run an offense that is at almost completely balanced between running and passing, because he is more of a consistent threat as a runner than a passer. Dude has a TON of arm talent and makes 2-3 wow throws almost every game, but he just flubs too many easy reads and throws to consistently march downfield. I don't believe he processes quickly/well enough to be a legitimate passing threat, but in a Greg Roman style offense he can be productive. 

If doubling down at WR is the plan then I would hope the Bears would trade down and focus on getting future picks primarily, that way for 2025 they can have plenty of capital to trade up and get the potential franchise QB. Getting a QB in with that trio, Kmet, and Johnson would be a hell of a cushion for him. That being said if Fields plays as erratic as last year with these weapons not only is he out and worthless in the trade market (assuming 5th year option gets picked up) but Poles likely has to fight for his job too if Williams or Maye plays well. If he is in Warren's good graces for building the team up enough then the new HC at least would get to pick his QB. Looking at the prospects for next year though I am really unimpressed. A lot can change though, and it always seems like someone pops out of the woodwork too, but I think Williams is just too good of a prospect to pass on right now and Fields' will never have a higher market than he does right now (not that its sky high anyway). I know people say his supporting cast wasn't great outside of two guys but I think he failed to elevate talent more so. Mooney did better with Tru who had ARob as the WR1 to take pressure off him. Moore >>> ARob, and Mooney had Kmet taking more pressure off too. Mooney DID get open more than his stats show, and he was missed on open throws several times too. Fields' accuracy is lethal on his best days and basically buckshot on most others. 

@Ozzy I will vouch for Epyon on the Mahomes love. Me, him and 1-2 others were leading the Mahomes train. I had major reservations about him being in an offense led by Loggains with Fox running the team, but I was still bitter about Arians not getting the HC gig previously too. Would Mahomes be the guy we see now? No, but he'd be a hell of a lot better still than anything Chicago has ever had by a large margin. Honestly I believe if you drop him into the 2018 Bears then there is no doubt there is a Super Bowl berth, even with Nagy being Nagy. 

Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs organization is not that easy to duplicate, and Andy's coaching excellence is impressive, he not only had the years of coaching Brett Favre then developing Donovan McNabb and is a great offensive mind and one heck of an OL coach behind the scenes.  They always develop and find quality OL in Kansas City to protect Patrick Mahomes.

All of these QBs were drafted and a lot of it had to do with their ability to throw off platform and create with their legs, escape and make plays downfield in the passing game or take off and pickup yards with their legs.

Bryce Young
Anthony Richardson
Will Levis
Malik Willis
Matt Corral
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Kellen Mond
Jordan Love
Jalen Hurts
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson

Fact is though Caleb Williams does not have the arm talent Josh Allen has or the size, he does not have the speed of Lamar Jackson.  So that is an issue and those two are clearly the best two on this list and it is a list of QBs since Patrick Mahomes was drafted.  Everyone wants to find that guy.  Easier said than done and again situation is massive in terms of their development.  Maybe Mahomes would have brought Chicago to a Super Bowl if he was drafted there but maybe not, hard to say.  Would Jordan Love be where he is now if he was not drafted by Green Bay?  Really hard to say but my guess is no, if he was thrown out there as a rookie, got beat up mentally and physically then oh well....  Sam Darnold for sure would be a different player if drafted by the 49ers out the gate and Brock Purdy would be a different player if not drafted by the 49ers.  

Now should the Bears draft Caleb Williams, yes of course unless he has some hatred for Chicago or something but yeah of course draft him.  Just not sure how rare he is in this day and age where almost every QB can create and scramble and make plays.  Some say Caleb Williams is one of the best college QBs of all time, well not sure that is the case because last season he lost to Utah and was not able to win the Pac-12 and get to the playoff, and then lost to Tulane in the bowl game as well and this year clearly did not go well at all and then sat out the bowl game so in terms of big wins and accomplishments he did not really do that.  Oh and at Oklahoma lost to Oklahoma State, did not go to the Big 12 title but did beat Oregon in the Alamo bowl?  Just seems he should have won big games if he is this all time great QB in college.  Granted Patrick Mahomes did not win anything big in college but he clearly did not have the expectations Caleb Williams had the past two seasons.  And if the expectation coming into the NFL is go to 6 straight conference title games as a starter to start your career and win two super bowls in that time, yeah he will not reach that ridiculous bar either.  

• Like 1

I will say I wanted to go super heavy on FA and draft last year. I didn't want THIS to be what the offseason was all about. "Fields or draft a QB? Fields never got a fair shot - The offense was bad because he needed more help - the offense was called poorly because he couldn't run a real offense" blah blah blah. 

No, I wanted to load the offense up and force Fields to distribute the ball. Be open with the team, with Fields.  Let him run, move the pocket, do playaction and RPOs, etc, but make him be a QB still. Put him in a position to use his athleticism as it was a major part of his draft status, but don't dumb the offense down to running a ridiculous amount of screens and flats. If you're calling plays and he refuses to get it out on time, say it out loud. Put pressure on him! If he can't handle that 

Don't spend over 50% of the snaps running and making the passing game only about 2 guys, make him play QB and see what you have. To hell with the record for 2023, look at Fields and spend the season evaluating his growth. Either he is the guy or not. I wanted McGary and Pocic in FA (offered more than they got from their tams too), and I drafted Wright, O’Cyrus Torrence, Dawand Jones, and Vorhees (stash and depth for 2024) all in the draft in real time. Granted I likely would have made changes had the Bears went out and got either or both FAs, but it is what it is.

19 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs organization is not that easy to duplicate, and Andy's coaching excellence is impressive, he not only had the years of coaching Brett Favre then developing Donovan McNabb and is a great offensive mind and one heck of an OL coach behind the scenes.  They always develop and find quality OL in Kansas City to protect Patrick Mahomes.

Absolutely. I have said the same thing, to me Reid IS the offense. Look at all his disciples that went on to become HCs. Few have success at any measure on offense. But defensive/ST guys have done much better, especially when they eventually got bumped back down to coordinators. 

All of these QBs were drafted and a lot of it had to do with their ability to throw off platform and create with their legs, escape and make plays downfield in the passing game or take off and pickup yards with their legs.

Bryce Young
Anthony Richardson
Will Levis
Malik Willis
Matt Corral
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Kellen Mond
Jordan Love
Jalen Hurts
Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson

True again, but there were a handful of reasons that so many of those QBs weren't in any serious discussion of being 1st overall when their draft came around. Some had serious gaping holes to their games (as most do) that even took them out of a lot of team's boards as 1st round picks. As a prospect I would put Williams above any of those QBs, and Fields would have been second. Obviously a miss on my part with Jackson, Allen, etc but still. Preventing any hindsight I think if Williams was in any of those drafts he would be the 1st overall pick. A few like Burrow, Lawrence, Luck, etc would likely be taken before him but still. 

Fact is though Caleb Williams does not have the arm talent Josh Allen has or the size, he does not have the speed of Lamar Jackson.  So that is an issue and those two are clearly the best two on this list and it is a list of QBs since Patrick Mahomes was drafted.  Everyone wants to find that guy.  Easier said than done and again situation is massive in terms of their development.  Maybe Mahomes would have brought Chicago to a Super Bowl if he was drafted there but maybe not, hard to say.  Would Jordan Love be where he is now if he was not drafted by Green Bay?  Really hard to say but my guess is no, if he was thrown out there as a rookie, got beat up mentally and physically then oh well....  Sam Darnold for sure would be a different player if drafted by the 49ers out the gate and Brock Purdy would be a different player if not drafted by the 49ers.  

Right, but there are areas where Williams completely outshines either of them as prospects too. Accuracy, production as a passer, ability to throw with touch, ability to throw under pressure, etc. He isn't a finished product but its irrational to expect someone to come in playing like a seasoned vet. Stroud looking like that was a unicorn situation. 

Personally I wanted to scrap the coaching staff, hire Harbaugh or Johnson, and then let them develop Williams. Harbaugh and Johnson both seem to value high level OL play and protecting the QB, so that would be a constant focus. Putting them under Eberflus isn't ideal by any means, though I am happier to see Waldron here rather than Getsy. I think every player has a ceiling and a basement, and the staff just sets their own top and bottom within those parameters. Going to a better situation always helps, but I think players usually are what they are. I don't believe Darnold would have been good even if he went to SF, better sure but I doubt he even would have been able to match up with Jimmy G's production. 

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Now should the Bears draft Caleb Williams, yes of course unless he has some hatred for Chicago or something but yeah of course draft him.  Just not sure how rare he is in this day and age where almost every QB can create and scramble and make plays.  Some say Caleb Williams is one of the best college QBs of all time, well not sure that is the case because last season he lost to Utah and was not able to win the Pac-12 and get to the playoff, and then lost to Tulane in the bowl game as well and this year clearly did not go well at all and then sat out the bowl game so in terms of big wins and accomplishments he did not really do that.  Oh and at Oklahoma lost to Oklahoma State, did not go to the Big 12 title but did beat Oregon in the Alamo bowl?  Just seems he should have won big games if he is this all time great QB in college.  Granted Patrick Mahomes did not win anything big in college but he clearly did not have the expectations Caleb Williams had the past two seasons.  And if the expectation coming into the NFL is go to 6 straight conference title games as a starter to start your career and win two super bowls in that time, yeah he will not reach that ridiculous bar either.  

Big wins are rarely due to just the QB. Would Burrow have been able to outperform Williams in the same scenario? Highly debatable and I think its a pretty definitive no. Williams put up great seasons with throwing to guys who (IMO) shouldn't be drafted even in the 4th, though I think Rice gets a boost up due to name. Burrow got to throw to Jefferson, Chase and Marshall Jr (plus had CEH in his backfield). No one on USC's team this year gets to be a top 3 receiver on that LSU team, even in their best year (Addison in 2022 would have for sure though, but still would be WR3). 

I don't believe any of the QBs listed above carry USC to with the Pac-12. Its hard to even have a winning season when your team is the 121st ranked defense and 94th ranked in scoring defense. But they were 3rd both years in scoring, the side he did control. Same argument I had over Mahomes having a losing record in college over his career. Dude averages over 40ppg on offense and has a losing, that isn't on him it is on the inept staff and piss-poor talent on defense. Plus he lost his one legitimate NFL starting talent  in Addison and put up all of 41ppg again. To be fair IDK what QB would have been able to carry USC to win some of the big games they lost. Tebow wouldn't and may be the GOAT of college QBs, Burrow wouldn't, Cam, Vince Young, Winston, Baker, etc. Mahomes you can argue did more with less but he also turned the ball over more too. 

And - while not aimed at you - anyone expecting a rookie QB to walk in and lead their team to 6 straight conference title games is an idiot. That's a ridiculous expectation to put on anyone and ignores so much of the team around the QB that its crazy. lol That kind of production is why Brady and Mahomes are guys who are or will be in the GOAT discussion. 

• Like 1

When Fields entered the league, he was regarded as comparable to Lawrence. Both have been somewhat disappointing but everyone would agree Fields has been better than Wilson or Lance (who were drafted ahead of him) and Jones (who was drafted a few picks later). 

At OSU, Fields had a better career than Stroud in the same system.

I think most people would agree that Fields hasn't hit his ceiling. Also that he makes too many mistakes and misses some easy throws.

But if Fields played at the Stroud level in the NFL, wouldn't most people prefer keeping him to rolling the dice with Williams?