2024 off-season talk

jcvoodoo

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thoughts on Andrus Peat? 

He played solid at LT for us last year. As mentioned can be inconsistent though. Has versatility to play LT and LG. Very likely to miss games every year, so a backup plan definitely will be needed.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 5:43 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

Thoughts on Andrus Peat? 

He's a beast...in a China Doll's body. It's not "if" he going to get hurt, it's "when". Kinda like Terron Armstead.

On 5/12/2024 at 6:40 AM, tyler735 said:

Spencer Rattler looking great to start rookie camp. I’ve never been so hyped about a day 3 pick. Still can’t believe he fell to us.

I was not big on Rattler - at least not as a high pick - as I wasn't convinced in his mindset after watching him fall apart at Oklahoma, and then be fairly mediocre with the Gamecocks.
That said, I'm very surprised we landed him in the 5th, and he's obviously got some fire in his belly, and looking to prove EVERYBODY wrong, including me. I hope he's right, and I'm wrong.

10 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I was not big on Rattler - at least not as a high pick - as I wasn't convinced in his mindset after watching him fall apart at Oklahoma, and then be fairly mediocre with the Gamecocks.
That said, I'm very surprised we landed him in the 5th, and he's obviously got some fire in his belly, and looking to prove EVERYBODY wrong, including me. I hope he's right, and I'm wrong.

I agree that I hated him with a day 2 pick, but getting him in the 5th was perfect.  Gives him the opportunity to live up to the potential he showed in HS and early in college to become a franchise QB while at the same time, if he fails, we only lost a 5th round pick.

I'm always behind giving guys that have the tools a shot with late round picks because you can't really go wrong with it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Will be interesting to see how things play out with him. I was pretty high on him before we drafted him as I mentioned I’d like to trade into the 3rd to grab him a couple months back in the draft thread. Getting him in the 5th is obviously a great value even if he doesn’t pan out.

The circumstances were so unique with Rattler. He was an absolute stud as a freshman at Oklahoma. Then started a bit slow as a sophomore, which isn’t all that uncommon to have a “sophomore slump”, but it’s very uncommon to have that while having arguably the best QB recruit in decades behind you on the depth chart in Caleb Williams.

Had Rattler transferred to any other competent offense like Penix or Nix did, I wouldn’t be shocked if Rattler in a different timeline was a day 1 pick. South Carolina was just so bad on the offensive line with schemes that did no favors against significantly superior opposition. Despite that Rattler had them fairly competitive. The Senior Bowl showed a lot to me when he got to showcase his ability against other day 1 picks (Penix/Nix) in a neutral setting and was the MVP and by many accounts looked the best in practices.

Heres a great video highlighting the challenges Rattler had at South Carolina

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2024 at 2:31 PM, SWATcha said:

Well, 🤬. Rotational guy, but still. Hate to see injuries before the season even gets under way officially. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-veteran-pass-rusher-tore-his-achilles-during-offseason-out-indefinitely-dennis-allen-says/amp/

Well this sucks. Sure, not a marquee guy, but certainly one you want in the rotation.
I hope he can be full strength for 2025. I highly doubt he can push for a late season return, but you never know.

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Early reports make it sound like:

Fuaga (LT) Saldiveri (LG) McCoy (C) Ruiz (RG) Penning (RT)

Not great on paper. 3/5 of them are unknowns and Ruiz is coming off of a bad year, but it could work. I'm optimistic.

10 hours ago, JMG5 said:
20 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Early reports make it sound like:

Fuaga (LT) Saldiveri (LG) McCoy (C) Ruiz (RG) Penning (RT)

Not great on paper. 3/5 of them are unknowns and Ruiz is coming off of a bad year, but it could work. I'm optimistic.

I kind of figured that's what the line would look like within the next 3 years.  Fuaga is obviously a highly rated prospect and has looked good already, Saldiveri had a lot of positives but had been against lower competition so moving inside and having a year of experience he'll probably be ready, Penning has all the talent just needed technique and to develop, RT might make it easier for him.

Ruiz might've had a bad year partly because wasn't he hobbled a little not to mention Ramzcyk was hurt all year which definitely didn't make his own job any easier.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this OL will be better than last year but I can't see it being any worse than last year's.

19 minutes ago, Raves said:

I kind of figured that's what the line would look like within the next 3 years.  Fuaga is obviously a highly rated prospect and has looked good already, Saldiveri had a lot of positives but had been against lower competition so moving inside and having a year of experience he'll probably be ready, Penning has all the talent just needed technique and to develop, RT might make it easier for him.

Ruiz might've had a bad year partly because wasn't he hobbled a little not to mention Ramzcyk was hurt all year which definitely didn't make his own job any easier.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this OL will be better than last year but I can't see it being any worse than last year's.

I’m optimistic that the OL can be average as a unit this season, which honestly isn’t a bad thing. A creative play caller like Kubiak with weapons like Kamara, Olave, Shaheed, Hill, and Miller could get the offense looking pretty solid.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, tyler735 said:

I’m optimistic that the OL can be average as a unit this season, which honestly isn’t a bad thing. A creative play caller like Kubiak with weapons like Kamara, Olave, Shaheed, Hill, and Miller could get the offense looking pretty solid.

Speaking of Kamara, what is his current contract situation?