Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I'm through three cases of Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game, and if you want to feel like you're in a cop show, it's a great simulation of that. A case can really only be played once and takes 3 hours, but they are amazing thematic experiences, and they do a good job of changing up what you're doing, but creating a fairly coherent story throughout all of the cases. Definitely a good time, and with a little work, one that anyone could play with people over Skype/Zoom/Hangouts right now if you wanted.

How many "cases" are there in total?

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

How many "cases" are there in total?

5 cases in the base box.

There's an expansion with 3-4 cases, and more coming out. I think that there's one that you can do completely digitally as well with Alexa, so 6 cases you can do in the base game?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My LGS got in their Forgotten Waters this week so I traded some more Magic cards for it and an organizer for my Terraforming Mars.

I had fun putting the organizer together and am going to see if the LGS can order me ones for Scythe, King of Tokyo and Arkham Horror LCG.

https://www.foldedspace.net/store/

Hoping to get Res Arcana to the table sometime this week. 

I just got my copy for Forgotten Waters as well.

And, oddly enough, I own all of Scythe, King of Tokyo, and Arkham Horror LCG, I have yet to play Scythe, but King of Tokyo is great, nice light filler/family style game. And Arkham Horror LCG is a lot of fun as well, though LCG's can end up being very spendy in the long run. But Arkham Horror LCG is probably one of my top 12 games.

• Like 1

I might have ordered a few games last night because reasons, main reason is that Deranged, a game I got to demo at GenCon last year is finally available for pre-order, so I ordered a few more to get the free shipping as well.

Deranged, the pre-order, is a game where you're in a cursed town and have been cursed yourself and you have three days to escape, but first you need to get rid of your curses. And the other players are trying to escape as well, and they very well will try and stop you if you're going to beat them and curse you some more.

Tiny Towns - super hot game last year, a simple puzzle type of game where you are building a town, to do that you need certain resources, and on each players turn they call out a resource that everyone has to place in their town somewhere, so can you build well enough to not get yourself stuck in a corner.

Codenames Pictures - good big group game, not my favorite, but I love it a whole lot more than regular Codenames, it gives you more chances to feel clever.

Welcome To New Vegas,  I love Welcome To as a flip and write as you build your perfect neighborhood, in this one, you're building your perfect vegas, so I'm excited for it.

• Like 1

I was able to get Res Arcana to the table last night. My wife said she really enjoyed it. It's an engine builder but also has a lot of logic puzzle type feel. We did the recommended first play setup but will be playing some additional games this week with the normal randomization. The 8 card player decks seems weird from the sound of it but works beautifully.

If you can find it I would highly recommend it. I know there is an expansion for it that adds some more mages and artifacts but it is waiting a 2nd printing and the ones on Amazon are like $80 right now. The designer said they were working on a 2nd expansion but wanted to get the first one reprinted first to make it more available.

• Like 1

Got some gaming in last night.

Couple of games of Silver, a good little game, not sure how to describe it completely, basically a push your luck sort of game, plays fast.

And two games of Dice Throne, which always enjoy that.

Went 4-0 last night, but I was teaching Silver and have played it a number of times on my phone, so I know more of it. Dice Throne was fairly close both times though.

I am going to have to hunt down the expansion for Res Arcana. Played 3 more games over the last two nights. First one was close as the wife and I tied in points and I won the tiebreaker by shear luck as I thought she had it.

It is getting faster as we both learn the ins and outs but each game plays different and lots of repeatability. 2 player takes about 45 min.

My wife really likes it too so that is a huge plus. This will likely become a weekly player for us.  

Edited by SirA1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Dming and always homebrew, did a mod once, was not a fan, also, some of the players didn't help, but still much prefer homebrew

I also prefer hombrew. I think it's so much easier as a dm. Less homework and all the off-the-wall **** the players do is easier to ad lib.

Do you have a main story or any pertinent subplots going on right now?

Another trip to the LGS today. 

Mostly to order my Folded Space Organizers for Scythe and King of Tokyo. Which I should pick up next week hopefully.

Also got two games one new and one older one.

Cosmic Encounter Duel - This was supposed to come out on April 4th but got delayed to do reasons. Two player only version of the classic with different rules. I like space games and this at least comes with ships I can use as minis. I'll try and get this one to the table soon.

Ticket to Ride Marklin - This was in the used game section and is the 2006 version. It does have 3 missing pieces that have substitutes for one of the colors but I think I can get someone to 3D print me better replacements since the color is black. This OOP version of the classic is always the one I see recommended to have and for $20 I couldn't pass it up.

Used up most of my store credit this week for my 3 Folded Space Organizers for KoT and Scythe (+Fenris Expansion)

I also completed my Scythe collection by getting the Rise of Fenris expansion. I am going to try and get this to the table in Solo mode later this weekend or next.

My wife had shown some interest in painting some of my fantasy miniatures that I use for RPG's a few months ago so we had slowly built up a group of painting supplies. Got a 16 paint basic set of Vallejo paints for about $40. A $5 cheap tackle box from Harbor Freight to hold everything like Paints and Glues. She also liked the look of the Citadel Miniature Handles used to paint minis as it gives you more control. A few Paint brushes and the total was about $100 over the course of a few weeks.

She started painting random stuff like Bats and liked being about to use the Handles to paint multiples at one time. She has assembled an old Chaos Dwarf and will paint him next over the weekend. She is enjoying the change of pace from just sewing masks and knitting. We did pick up a pair of clippers today too to help clean flash off of minis.

• Like 1

Nice, I picked up a paint set and have not gotten far into painting Descent 2nd Edition, but I will get back to that after the move. I had a good time doing a base layer of paint. I think it's one of those things that if I can turn on a Twins game in the evening, or some sporting event, I'll get more done because I multitask through stuff like that so much. When it's something I need to pay attention to more, then it seems to detailed work.

I picked up Silver Bullet and Silver Coin to add to my base game of Silver, think about it as Sushi Go and then instead of just replacing it with Sushi Go Party to get more variability on the same game, you're just adding in packs of cards.