Raiders expected to hire Tom Telesco as the GM

NYRaider

12 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Really turned off by all the doom and gloom around here about having Harbaugh in the division along with Reid and Payton. That’s some chicken little ish. For all we know, AP is the next coach to rise up to stardom. It remains to be seen. The fact of the matter is, AP is 3-1 vs the division and he did this with a limited 4th round rookie as his QB. 

Agreed facts!! 🎯🎯

We just saw the greatest coach Belichek get whipped up and down the AFC East the last few seasons. Eventually, the league catches up to teams and new coaches, players rise up.m

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed facts!! 🎯🎯

We just saw the greatest coach Belichek get whipped up and down the AFC East the last few seasons. Eventually, the league catches up to teams and new coaches, players rise up.m

Pretty glaring omission here. 

It isn't just Reid, Harbaugh. It's the Mahomes and Herbert. You have three of the top coaches in football and 2 of the top 8 QBs in football in the division. 

Denver and Vegas have to land QBs that can compete in the division before they can be taken serious. And that margin for error is razor thin. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It isn't just Reid, Harbaugh. It's the Mahomes and Herbert. You have three of the top coaches in football and 2 of the top 8 QBs in football in the division. 

Denver and Vegas have to land QBs that can compete in the division before they can be taken serious. And that margin for error is razor thin. 

This. 

And with Denver, Payton can attract a big fish FA if need be (once their cap situation is fixed up). As with any team, they'll want their young guy, but in a pinch, I think guys want to play for him. 

We are totally reliant on nailing the draft for now- without any clue yet who our OC or offensive staff will be. 

Hypothetical example, but I think it hits the key struggle:

LA/Harbaugh pick McCarthy. In a couple of years Herbert isade available for trade or they let him walk a'la Brees with Rivers waiting. 

Between us and Denver, no question where Herbert would choose to go, imo. And Harbaugh isn't drafting JJ unless he knows- and his track record with QBs is pretty damn good. 

Otherwise, we have Herbert and Mahomes in place. 

Do we trust AP and Telesco (OC TBD) to identify a QB and get the most out of him more than Payton and Paton? They have Brees and Cousins on their resumes that stand out, but neither has drafted a QB to great success. That said, they both have a history attached to signing someone seen as really good and taking them to a next level. 

If we don't nail this QB pick, as soon as Russ is off the Broncos books, you know they're likely to bring in someone who can compete. 

As you said, razor thin. And one team has a much more likely shot than the other at this point in time. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Telesco surely has been the goat of drafting mid rounds. With him and a HS coach we should run this division for a decade!!

Weren’t you supposed to switch teams or something 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I guess I’m just that same o guy that went to Oakland to watch my team 20 years ago. Miss those fans that’s real RAIDER NATION I can’t distinguish haters from “fans” nowadays. 

You think because people think it’s gonna be real rough in our division this year that we’re “haters”? I’m not saying it’s impossible that we make the playoffs next year; hell if the defense maintains it’s level and we hire a real OC and find a competent QB then we’ve definitely got a chance.

But if you’re not looking at the current AFCW and some of the elite coaches and top QBs and thinking it’s a cause for concern, then sorry man but that’s just delusional. Seriously, what have this team done in this the last 20 years to deserve the “we’re the Raiders, we fear nobody” outlook? All they’ve done is f’n lose.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

You think because people think it’s gonna be real rough in our division this year that we’re “haters”? I’m not saying it’s impossible that we make the playoffs next year; hell if the defense maintains it’s level and we hire a real OC and find a competent QB then we’ve definitely got a chance.

But if you’re not looking at the current AFCW and some of the elite coaches and top QBs and thinking it’s a cause for concern, then sorry man but that’s just delusional. Seriously, what have this team done in this the last 20 years to deserve the “we’re the Raiders, we fear nobody” outlook? All they’ve done is f’n lose.

It’s the chicken littles not looking at the big picture. Chargers and Broncos are in cap hell. Chargers just did what everyone was whining about in hiring a HC before a GM, a total control HC like Chucky that so many frowned upon. It’s bad when we do it, but we gotta worry about others doing the same thing. It’s the oh no we got to lay down mentality that’s gross. Raiders have a ton of cap space and pick in the upper half of the draft. We finished strong with a rookie 4th rounder and OC that was clearly over his head. We just might have the best defense in the division and beat KC in their house. Plenty to be optimistic about, but a lot of folks in here just want to lay down. **** that! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

It’s the chicken littles not looking at the big picture. Chargers and Broncos are in cap hell. Chargers just did what everyone was whining about in hiring a HC before a GM, a total control HC like Chucky that so many frowned upon. It’s bad when we do it, but we gotta worry about others doing the same thing. It’s the oh no we got to lay down mentality that’s gross. Raiders have a ton of cap space and pick in the upper half of the draft. We finished strong with a rookie 4th rounder and OC that was clearly over his head. We just might have the best defense in the division and beat KC in their house. Plenty to be optimistic about, but a lot of folks in here just want to lay down. **** that! 

Aww man now we're in a division with Sean Payton(who we swept last year and haven't beat us in four years now). Andy Reid(Who we spanked on Christmas Day with a fourth round, rookie, throwing for 62 yards) and Jim Harbaugh(we won't know how good he is as an NFL GM/HC). Whatever will we do?(even though we went 4–2 in the division)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Aww man now we're in a division with Sean Payton(who we swept last year and haven't beat us in four years now). Andy Reid(Who we spanked on Christmas Day with a fourth round, rookie, throwing for 62 yards) and Jim Harbaugh(we won't know how good he is as an NFL GM/HC). Whatever will we do?(even though we went 4–2 in the division)

Exactly 💪

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I think you missed the point of the original post. Just because those coaches have a great resumes and great track records does not mean it’s all doom and gloom.

Herbert and Mahomes have Huge salary caps hits. Chargers and chiefs, are gonna have razor, thin margins to continue to build around those players and keep key free agents.

We got a chance to steal KC best defense of player at a position of need. It is OK to have some optimism and not be scared of the other teams in the division that we beat this season.

• Like 1

been busy lately, havent watched the press conference and just quickly read through here but;

i didnt expect this hire, but I cant say I hate it. 

As some mentioned, Chargers always seem to be built well and then disappoint. 
the team is definitely normally 'star' heavy with poor depth which I dont love. 
depth is key in the nfl, chargers depth has been there issue, but they always seem to lead the league with IRs too. 

10 years with the chargers they were always the talented team that disappointed. 
How much is that the GM vs Coach? 

to me that is more coaching, but obviously the GM plays a role in the coach.
Praying that its true he had no say in coaches or limited say in SD.

we will see, but I do think we couldve done a lot worse.

If we find a spot for Champ even better. 

If we bring back Mack, Champ and Tom love him, ill be even happier lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Right, because every season is just a carry over to the next. 

I think some of us are just never gonna agree here and will need to just wait and see the results. But I think if you’re talking bigger picture then you have to look longer term.

None of the teams in our division are exactly set up like San Francisco here. There are flaws and holes in all of them, whether that’s there QB situation, their cap or whatever. But the point that others including me are trying to make is that they all have top tier coaches right now. You can’t really dress that up any other way. Maybe the Raiders will as well when it’s all said and done, but right now Pierce is a guy with potential rather than a guy who has earned the right to be talked about in the same way as these guys.

• Like 2